Author Topic: 1400 Pull Style Dipstick?  (Read 1328 times)

Offline Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
    • Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi
1400 Pull Style Dipstick?
« on: September 19, 2018, 08:23:35 AM »
Is there such an animal. I had one for my Eldo years ago and it was handy.  I've always hated OEM Guzzi dipsticks.

Anyone know of a source?
Founder, Wildguzzi.com (est. 1998)
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV
2020 Indian Challenger Limited

Offline kirb

• Gaggle Hero
Re: 1400 Pull Style Dipstick?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 04:11:47 PM »
Stelvio pull dip stick work?

883144 Oil level rod
GU90706178 O-ring 17,86X2,62

Has a bushing/o-ring that screws into the block, level stick pushes into it.... Same lower block, no?

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 05:03:02 PM »
That's same #'s for Norge 8V.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

pete roper

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 05:28:51 PM »
Different sump on the Cali 14, (And late model Grisos.). Uses a shorter stick. Having said that you can always cut one down to length.

Pete

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 05:28:51 PM »

Offline Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 06:16:42 PM »
So I should be looking for a Griso one and then cut it down? Is that the general consensus?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV

pete roper

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2018, 06:37:07 PM »
No, no. Any model of 'Deep Sump' CARC bike has a longer stick. It's just from 2015 they started using the 1400 sump arrangement on the Griso and consequently the same, shorter, stick.

Basically you can use any longer type pull-out stick, (The logical choice would be a Stelvio stick as these are a pull out type.) but you'd need to ensure that the level is correct using the original stick and then swap sticks and mark the new one appropriately. The Stelvio stick will need its receiver and o-rings as well of course and it may be long enough to foul on the bottom of the Cali sump so it might need cutting down a bit but if I were doing this I'd first get the bike upright and ensure that the oil was at the bottom line on the stock stick. Then rest the bike on its sidestand and insert the new stick and receiver. If it fouls the bottom of the sump cut an appropriate amount off 5he bottom of the stick and re-insert it. That will give you your 'Full' mark on the sidestand, mark it appropriately.

Job done.

Pete

Offline Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2018, 06:45:29 PM »
No, no. Any model of 'Deep Sump' CARC bike has a longer stick. It's just from 2015 they started using the 1400 sump arrangement on the Griso and consequently the same, shorter, stick.

Basically you can use any longer type pull-out stick, (The logical choice would be a Stelvio stick as these are a pull out type.) but you'd need to ensure that the level is correct using the original stick and then swap sticks and mark the new one appropriately. The Stelvio stick will need its receiver and o-rings as well of course and it may be long enough to foul on the bottom of the Cali sump so it might need cutting down a bit but if I were doing this I'd first get the bike upright and ensure that the oil was at the bottom line on the stock stick. Then rest the bike on its sidestand and insert the new stick and receiver. If it fouls the bottom of the sump cut an appropriate amount off 5he bottom of the stick and re-insert it. That will give you your 'Full' mark on the sidestand, mark it appropriately.

Job done.

Pete

Thanks Pete. I got it now.
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV

Offline Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2018, 06:45:29 PM »

Job done.

Pete

Thanks Pete. I got it now.
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here