Author Topic: IRS Scam  (Read 3889 times)

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
IRS Scam
« on: October 21, 2015, 10:36:32 AM »
For the 4th time I received a robo call telling me that the IRS was filing suit due to back taxes.

I've gotten sick of these calls.  I've called the IRS and I reported it once to the FBI.  I called in the evening to a small FBI office and the gal took my info.  I called today during working hours and got the main office here and they told me to call an 800# in Wash DC (Treasury Dept IRS Compliance Division or something like it).  So I called them, got their voice mail and their mail box was full.

Seriously pissed off:  First, my cell phone was rigged so that the local FBI office would not even show up on my cell phone.  I had to go to my lap top to find their damn phone number. Second, I am obviously pissed off with two wasted phone calls.  Third, being pissed I tried to send an e-mail, which is also nearly impossible, so I gave up on that.

How about having law enforcement agencies that can't be bothered by the public?  It kills me that old & feeble folks are being preyed upon and no one is doing a damn thing about it.  I guess they're too busy harassing pot smokers and tapping phones to be worried about common folks being robbed by wire fraud.

Yeah, crime must pay big time.  No one gives a shit.  You can't even report the freaking crime.

rant over.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

canuguzzi

Re: IRS Scam
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 10:50:55 AM »
Wait until your audit, then get pissed off.

Remember, better to be pissed off than pissed on.

oldbike54

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 10:56:22 AM »
 A better solution might be to contact the DA in your county , they will often times respond to such complaints .

Dusty

Offline jackson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 11:02:45 AM »
I recently read an article re. how many people fall for these kinds of scams.  The IRS will never call someone re. matters like this.  They will always send a letter asking for information or advising you that they have set an appointment for you to meet with an IRS representative. 
There are so many of these scams going on that the likelihood that anyone in law enforcement will follow up with any complaints that you make are pretty much, nil.  Now, if you can get a scammer to agree to meet you somewhere for you to make a payment, the cops would gladly get involved and attempt to arrest the scammer while he's involved in attempting to take your money.
I gave up my land line over six years ago and my phone will only ring if you are on my "favorites list".  Otherwise, it just sends them to voicemail.  When I check the voicemail and see that it's a telemarketer or scammer, I block that number on the phone.  Works for me.
NO longer can ride

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 11:02:45 AM »

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 11:09:28 AM »
Get in touch with one of your State's senators or your district's representative.

Rich A

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2015, 11:09:54 AM »
Just another day.

Why are you surprised no one cares?  We have millions of laws, with more passed every day, and most are not enforced.  I laughed when they started the 'no call' list.  Who is going to enforce it?  No one.  It just makes people feel good to be on the list.

And which are most annoying?  Politicos.  And why do they call?  Cause when you register to vote and select a party affiliation it gives them 'permission' to call you.

FWIW, there are folks at various agencies trying to track down the scammers.  Why are the email and voice mail boxes full?  Cause it takes only a few seconds to send out millions of scams and to make thousands if not millions of phone calls.  If each person complains it means those comm systems are swamped.  Do you really think someone is going to read all million complaints? 

Heck by the time they read a complaint the criminals have already ghosted another phone line and internet addess.  The investigators are way ahead of you, and probably more frustrated at trying to track down the perps.

1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2015, 11:12:19 AM »
I recently read an article re. how many people fall for these kinds of scams.  The IRS will never call someone re. matters like this.  They will always send a letter asking for information or advising you that they have set an appointment for you to meet with an IRS representative. 
There are so many of these scams going on that the likelihood that anyone in law enforcement will follow up with any complaints that you make are pretty much, nil.  Now, if you can get a scammer to agree to meet you somewhere for you to make a payment, the cops would gladly get involved and attempt to arrest the scammer while he's involved in attempting to take your money.
I gave up my land line over six years ago and my phone will only ring if you are on my "favorites list".  Otherwise, it just sends them to voicemail.  When I check the voicemail and see that it's a telemarketer or scammer, I block that number on the phone.  Works for me.

Yep.  I don't answer phone numbers I don't know.  If they leave a voicemail and it's legit, I'll call back.

If I get repeated hangups or messages from a telemarketing company, I block them.

I never answer the phone unless I recognize the number, and don't really understand those who answer every call, and/or call back numbers they don't recognize. 

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline ibis1

• Hatchling
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2015, 01:11:52 PM »
Yep.  I don't answer phone numbers I don't know.  If they leave a voicemail and it's legit, I'll call back.

If I get repeated hangups or messages from a telemarketing company, I block them.

I never answer the phone unless I recognize the number, and don't really understand those who answer every call, and/or call back numbers they don't recognize.
I second rocker, if you don't recognize the number, ignore it. If it's a real call they will leave a message.  :boozing:
2010 California Vintage (Gone)
1971 750 Ambassador (Gone)
2014 California Touring

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2015, 01:20:30 PM »
A better solution might be to contact the DA in your county , they will often times respond to such complaints .

Dusty

The local LEO will go after a scammer in New York? 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2015, 01:24:48 PM »

exactly right about the IRS.  Last summer it took several calls to the IRS before I finally got in touch with human being in the local "Taxpayers' Advocate Office".   The poor woman told me she gets 100 calls like that a day. 

But the IRS is no help either, if you had a couple of hours you might find that info on their website.  I searched to find a phone number for quite sometime until I found the Advocate. 
John L 

Offline HDGoose

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2015, 01:34:29 PM »
1) generated caller id numbers
2) computer dialing generated numbers
3) voice over IP phones, not easily traceable. And with a little software, not able to trace ever.
4) You don't want to pay for the numbers of police to track cyber crimes.
5) cyber crimes can pay for years, well. And, in too many cases of identity theft, very little time for these types of crimes if caught.

oldbike54

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2015, 01:46:32 PM »
The local LEO will go after a scammer in New York?

Yep , if they want to .

Dusty

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2015, 02:28:11 PM »
Comcast lets you block 10 or 12 numbers. When I started getting these phony IRS calls (even came from a Washington D.C. area code) I simply blocked the number and the problem is no more.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

elvisboy77

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2015, 02:35:39 PM »
Go to donotcall.gov and register your numbers.

If they call again, report them to the above website.  They will follow up, and I am sure they want to know about the IRS scammers.

If you have an iPhone you can block an unlimited number of callers on it.

I managed to finally get rid of a lawn service that would not quit thru the above

Offline jbell

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Some progress
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2015, 02:44:07 PM »

I laughed when they started the 'no call' list.  Who is going to enforce it?  No one.

Charlie, au contrare!  My brother has successfully sued telemarketers violating the "no call" list or just for calling at a later hour than is permitted by law.  Small claims court and he has won several multi-hundred dollar settlements.  The telemarketers usually don't even bother to show up in court. 
'75 Ducati 860 GT  On the road
'76 Guzzi T3   Future project
'78 Guzzi G5  Current project
'81 Guzzi G5  Organ donor
'92 BMW K75RT  On the road
'16 Triumph Thruxton R  "Holy Moly"  Gone but not forgotten, sigh.

"Be yourself, everyone else is taken".......Oscar Wilde

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2015, 02:58:52 PM »
I know it's cool to hate the IRS, but nothing I read in the OP indicates that it's actually the IRS that is bugging him.  Seems more like a scammer to me.

Also, on many cell phones you can block future calls entirely from any number that has called you.  Problem solved.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 03:01:05 PM by sib »
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2015, 04:23:05 PM »
I know it's cool to hate the IRS, but nothing I read in the OP indicates that it's actually the IRS that is bugging him.  Seems more like a scammer to me.

Also, on many cell phones you can block future calls entirely from any number that has called you.  Problem solved.

That's why this thread is titled "IRS Scam".
John L 

Offline Mark West

• Gaggle Hero
  • Get Lost.... it's good for you!
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2015, 04:37:49 PM »
I think the reason this stuff gets little attention is that they are powerless to do anything about it. It's so easy for someone to generate robo calls (and have them look like they came from elsewhere) that it's impossible to keep up with them. Shut down one number, two more pop up. Block an IP address, they change them every hour.

Unfortunately there are thousands of highly trained people in countries that have no jobs for them so they find a way to make money. The government can't even manage to keep people out of top secret government databases, so they're sure not going to be able to keep you from getting scammed.

Best to learn how to deal with it cause it's going to get worse before it gets better....if it ever gets better.
Mark West
Hollister, CA
MGNOC L-752

Offline Mike Tashjian

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2015, 04:42:00 PM »
https://www.nomorobo.com  My wife has signed us up(Verizon phone) and I am unclear on the details.  The phone only rings more than one ring if it thinks it is a legitimate call.  Very few bad numbers are getting past it and then you add them to the list, so they don't make it through again.  My wife has set up a few friends with this and I think we are in for a few free dinners.  Mike

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2015, 06:13:52 PM »
Comcast lets you block 10 or 12 numbers. When I started getting these phony IRS calls (even came from a Washington D.C. area code) I simply blocked the number and the problem is no more.
what he said
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here