General Category > Bike Builds, Rebuilds And Restorations Only

V7 Sport (road rash)

<< < (3/11) > >>

Canuck750:
I have been asked by many folks to vapour hone their motorcycle parts for them and regularly do so. Some folks have asked to try and blast parts with blind bearing and races left in, carefully blanking off all openings. In every case the media found it’s way in. The blast cabinet runs at 90 psi pressure, trust me the slurry finds its way in. If you blast the transmission case you have to get the bearings out of the case, there is space, tiny as it is, under the bearing races. I have had my Vapour Honing cabinet for over five years now and it gets used most every day, it takes a little prep work but it is worth it.
The Vapour Honing process will not remove paint unless there is corrosion under the surface and it does not like grease or dirt, parts need to be washed before blasting.

Antietam Classic Cycle:

--- Quote from: Canuck750 on December 12, 2021, 09:31:04 PM ---Vapour honing will not damage threads but blind holes can be hard to clear of media, when I can, I thread in an old bolt into the threaded hole before I vapour hone. Regardless of plugging holes or not, I chase out all threaded holes before reassembly.
Vapour honing with fine glass bead is very safe, the bead does not fracture on impact like dry blast so no tiny shards of glass bead get embedded in the porous surface of the casting. I pull all ball bearings and races out of all castings before blasting, near impossible to get the media out of a bearing. After honing I rinse and with compressed air blow dry the part then rinse and dry again. After you finish assembling the engine spray it down with brake cleaner followed with a spray and wipe of ACF-50.
Vapour honing only pulls off oxidation, it does not damage the base metal.

--- End quote ---

Cleaning very thoroughly is super important no matter the method or media. The last Morini 3 1/2 engine build I did for a customer had been vapor blasted by him and media was packed in bolt holes and crevices like concrete. Very hard to remove - for M6 bolt holes I ended up using a .22 caliber rifle cleaning brush!

Not all dry blasting machines are created equal. The machine shop that cleans my cases has a shot peening machine made by Blast-It-All which they run at 15 psi. The blast media (Potters Ballotini) does not fracture at such low pressure so there is zero chance of any of it being embedded. They plug all bolt holes and oil galleries, mask most gasket surfaces and clean the part three times.

https://blast-it-all.com/abc-shot-peener/?v=2e5df5aa3470
https://www.milessupply.com/product/ballotini-glass-bead-abrasive/ 

cliffrod:

--- Quote from: Antietam Classic Cycle on December 13, 2021, 08:55:07 AM ---Cleaning very thoroughly is super important no matter the method or media. The last Morini 3 1/2 engine build I did for a customer had been vapor blasted by him and media was packed in bolt holes and crevices like concrete. Very hard to remove - for M6 bolt holes I ended up using a .22 caliber rifle cleaning brush!

Not all dry blasting machines are created equal. The machine shop that cleans my cases has a shot peening machine made by Blast-It-All which they run at 15 psi. The blast media (Potters Ballotini) does not fracture at such low pressure so there is zero chance of any of it being embedded. They plug all bolt holes and oil galleries, mask most gasket surfaces and clean the part three times.

https://blast-it-all.com/abc-shot-peener/?v=2e5df5aa3470
https://www.milessupply.com/product/ballotini-glass-bead-abrasive/

--- End quote ---

^^^^I'll add my recommendation for and complete confidence in product & services offered by Miles Supply.  I've used them as my primary go-to supplier for decades, both via Barre, VT and Elberton, GA, for all kinds of products and tools used in my granite work.  Absolute top notch, industry-professional-level company.

czakky82:
Engine and trans cases back from vapor blast. They turned out really nice. I’ve been cleaning gasket surfaces and chasing all threads with a tap. I will clean everything out with brake cleaner tomorrow give it wash in the slop sink and blow dry with compressed air. I’m waiting on the verdict on my crank at the machine shop. Then MG cycle will have a big order headed there way.
Im on the look out for a good stainless hardware set when I’m ready for assembly.

damaged smileys

Canuck750:
Lovely!  :thumb:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version