Author Topic: V7 850 trouble in paradise  (Read 10093 times)

Offline Beowulf

• Gosling
Re: V7 850 trouble in paradise
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2021, 03:25:03 PM »
Well further update. Seems to be a sensor. The tech is Not into today but the counter person says the problem has been identified and the part will be ordered soon. He is just not sure what sensor the tech mentioned.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2021, 03:33:08 PM »
Well, if no one else can fix it, he'll have to do it himself.
That reminds me, it’s laundry day.
But it’s only a small load, I’ll do it by hand.. :rolleyes:

Offline greer

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2021, 05:28:31 AM »
Well further update. Seems to be a sensor. The tech is Not into today but the counter person says the problem has been identified and the part will be ordered soon. He is just not sure what sensor the tech mentioned.

I hope you'll pester for the exact particulars, and whether or not the part is immediately available.  Thanks for bringing us along.

Sarah 
Sarah '21 V7 Special, '17 XT250, '17 V9 Roamer sold August 2021, '16 V7 II Stone sold September 2021, '08 Nevada Classic sold August 2020 
Doug '21 V85TT, '05 Sportster Roadster, '13 XT250

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2021, 09:56:08 AM »

Geeez, half the sensors are Incorporated into the throttle body ECU, wonder if that is what they are replacing?

Though it's super odd that, if it was actually identified, the part isn't ALREADY ordered. WTF would they be waiting for, a special planetary alignment before they actually press the button and order it?!?
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2021, 09:56:08 AM »

Online sdcr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2021, 10:23:15 AM »
I hope that they are not doing a “ let’s try this sensor, and see if it fixes it...” method.
That can be an exercise in futility.

John
2000 BMW R1100 RS
1983 BMW R100
2009 Jaguar XK

Offline SportsterDoc

• Gosling
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2021, 11:03:55 AM »
I don't have a wiring diagram.  Does this bike have a "bank angle" sensor (tipover sensor)?...

Good thought.
H-D Sportsters incorporated BAS with ECU, 2007 up, but it is separate on my 2022 Triumph.
23 V7-850 23 Yam XT250 18 Yam Bolt  22 Triumph St Twin  20 CanAm Ryker 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yam XT250 16 MG V7II 17 Yam TW200 12 Triumph Bonnie 02 Sportster 1200S 03 Sportster XLH883 76 Honda 750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yam CT1 72 Yam CT2 72 Yam AT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda C11

Offline Beowulf

• Gosling
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2021, 08:33:02 AM »
I’m trying to be patient but must admit I’m pretty aggravated with the dealer’s lack of communication. They tell me they will call update and never call. I usually call the day after they are supposed to call. I do not wish to specifically hate on anybody but I’m not happy. I wish I had the time to get it Austin but it was between that and leaving it in a public parking lot for too long. Getting it towed was like pulling teeth this time of year. If the sensor fixes it great if it doesn’t I’m headed to Austin.

Offline Beowulf

• Gosling
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2021, 12:03:55 PM »
So final update it turned out to be a bad fuel sensor that’s been ordered from piaggio. It’s coming from Italy according to the tech so at least two weeks out. But at least I know now.

It’s been pulling teeth to get a call back.

Offline Beowulf

• Gosling
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2021, 01:04:26 PM »
Can you get us the part number for this sensor?
I will attempt that but the service department was barely able to tell me a fuel sensor was the problem. They just said they don’t know. I will look up a parts catalogue and try and find it.

Offline Yan

• New Egg
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2021, 01:17:24 PM »
How can they don't know when they just ordered it?
2007 Griso 1100

Offline Beowulf

• Gosling
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2021, 02:23:05 PM »
So there’s a disconnect between the counter guy and the tech or lack of communication. Usually when I call the counter guy explains the tech isn’t in and he doesn’t know.

Offline TN Mark

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2021, 02:37:22 PM »
What dealer in what city?

Offline Beowulf

• Gosling
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2021, 03:42:40 PM »
What dealer in what city?
[/quote. I’m not happy with my experience with this dealer as when I call asking questions they seem put out. They haven’t called back any time they told me they would. Is it ok to post who they are. In one hand I appreciate that found the problem but I think the customer service is lacking.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2021, 05:12:45 PM »
You're either dealing with a completely incompetent dealer/staff or you are getting a very conscious run around.

A parts guy is gonna know the proper name and description for the part they've been asked to order by the tech.

What pray tell is a "fuel sensor"?

There's a fuel level sensor, but that would only effect the low fuel light circuit.

Someone might call the other sensors generally "fuel system sensors" or "EFI sensors" but that's almost a useless description cause it's a category not an actual single part.

No other sensors that affect EFI operation tend to have the word "fuel" in them.

There are things like crankshaft position or camshaft position sensors (I believe Guzzi only used the former).

There are things like throttle position sensor, intake air temperature, air pressure, cylinder head or engine temperature sensor.

Like I said earlier MOST of these sensors on the smallblock are integrated into the throttle body/ECU and aren't separately replaceable.

Anyway, you're either talking to a moron or they are treating you like one.

Sorry to be indelicate.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2021, 05:18:06 PM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2021, 05:15:52 PM »
I’m trying to be patient but must admit I’m pretty aggravated with the dealer’s lack of communication. They tell me they will call update and never call. I usually call the day after they are supposed to call. I do not wish to specifically hate on anybody but I’m not happy. I wish I had the time to get it Austin but it was between that and leaving it in a public parking lot for too long. Getting it towed was like pulling teeth this time of year. If the sensor fixes it great if it doesn’t I’m headed to Austin.

This is far from an isolated experience. I almost 100% expect a store or service shop to not call back by the specified time they mentioned anymore. I admit I’m an idealist, but when I say I’m going to do something for someone by a certain time, I really push to do that, and I expect likewise. Sure, work gets in the way for everyone from time to time, but I think it’s a cultural issue in today’s society to see it happen so much. Add to that the fact that there aren’t enough dealerships to compete with the bad ones to push them to be better.
Current: ‘16 Guzzi V7 II Stone, ‘78 BMW R80/7

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

Offline blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2021, 05:18:47 PM »
Dirk:  Too many of the greatest generation are gone.  They once set the tone for civility in relationships with one another.
Blue Guzz

Offline Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2021, 05:26:03 PM »
Dirk:  Too many of the greatest generation are gone.  They once set the tone for civility in relationships with one another.

I mean, my uncle who fought in Korea was a big racist, so there are stinkers and sweethearts in every group ;)

I do think this fast-paced world and some of the spoils that come along with it get to us, regardless of the demographics we fit in.
Current: ‘16 Guzzi V7 II Stone, ‘78 BMW R80/7

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

Offline 9fingers

• Gosling
« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2021, 06:19:37 PM »
ON the other hand........IF they do actually have a part on order from Italy (you could probably check with Piaggio to see if this dealer has ordered parts....unless they ordered it from AF1, which some dealers do), maybe it won't take so long after all. I just received a skid plate from Greece (for my V Strom).....2 days shipping, and also a pair of shocks from UK for my V7III, 2 days shipping. Going thru Piaggio will likely slow it down but keep your hopes up..........maybe they will actually cure the issue. And yes, I am an optomist.
Scott
Current bikes:
V7 III Special - Sophia
Royal Enfield Classic Chrome 500 Bullet - Guinevere
Suzuki V Strom 650 - Rita
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL250 custom
Honda TL125
Yamaha TY350

Offline Beowulf

• Gosling
« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2021, 07:05:16 PM »
You're either dealing with a completely incompetent dealer/staff or you are getting a very conscious run around.

A parts guy is gonna know the proper name and description for the part they've been asked to order by the tech.

What pray tell is a "fuel sensor"?

There's a fuel level sensor, but that would only effect the low fuel light circuit.

Someone might call the other sensors generally "fuel system sensors" or "EFI sensors" but that's almost a useless description cause it's a category not an actual single part.

No other sensors that affect EFI operation tend to have the word "fuel" in them.

There are things like crankshaft position or camshaft position sensors (I believe Guzzi only used the former).

There are things like throttle position sensor, intake air temperature, air pressure, cylinder head or engine temperature sensor.

Like I said earlier MOST of these sensors on the smallblock are integrated into the throttle body/ECU and aren't separately replaceable.

Anyway, you're either talking to a moron or they are treating you like one.

Sorry to be indelicate.

Not indelicate at all. I feel I have gotten the run around as the service desk never picks up my calls or returns my messages. I explained I had a thread going and people were curious as to what part and what is going on. But to talk to them I call the sales department and they transfer me over to service at which point they tell me the tech isn’t there. I hope they are just treating me as a moron and know how to fix this .

The unit being one unit makes sense but I don’t know much about the electronic side.

Online bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2021, 07:17:59 PM »
What is the reason you don’t identify the dealer you’re working with?
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2021, 07:29:17 PM »

Not indelicate at all. I feel I have gotten the run around as the service desk never picks up my calls or returns my messages. I explained I had a thread going and people were curious as to what part and what is going on. But to talk to them I call the sales department and they transfer me over to service at which point they tell me the tech isn’t there. I hope they are just treating me as a moron and know how to fix this .

The unit being one unit makes sense but I don’t know much about the electronic side.

Fingers crossed....
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Beowulf

• Gosling
« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2021, 07:32:34 PM »
What is the reason you don’t identify the dealer you’re working with?
well I read the rules said no dealer bashing or something to that effect. I’m also not sure it’s wise while they have my bike. Just suffice to say don’t buy a Moto Guzzi in Houston

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2021, 09:40:31 PM »

If anyone is interested in the MIU G3 looks like and does (ECU, throttle body, etc.), there is some good info here:

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.guzzitek.org/documents/injection/ECU_MIU-G3_Training.pdf&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwiV1_XNsuf0AhU3GTQIHYUuCf4QFnoECAIQAg&usg=AOvVaw1JMaG9Br6_xlDrZPm5Knwu

Cheers,
Shaun

'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore (Yep, two)

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2021, 10:19:32 PM »
If anyone is interested in the MIU G3 looks like and does (ECU, throttle body, etc.), there is some good info here:

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.guzzitek.org/documents/injection/ECU_MIU-G3_Training.pdf&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwiV1_XNsuf0AhU3GTQIHYUuCf4QFnoECAIQAg&usg=AOvVaw1JMaG9Br6_xlDrZPm5Knwu

Cheers,
Shaun

Thanks for posting that, very interesting and at the same time disappointing. I don't like this integration of components. It's brilliant until a single component fails or wears then it's an expensive nightmare. Add it to the pressed up plain pin crank with 1 piece rods. They ain't doing it for the customer that's riding it in 10 years plus time.

Ciao
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much room.

Offline krglorioso

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2021, 10:26:34 PM »
Given your patience and your calm chronicling of your dealer's lethargy, I don't think it would be dealer bashing to out him. There was a time when we had a fair number of small but very committed Guzzi dealers.  One by one, they mostly fell by the wayside. 

Just my two cents' worth.

Ralph
Ralph
"You don't stop riding because you got old; you got old because you stopped riding".

2004 Moto Guzzi Breva 750
2017 Honda CB-500F
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Online Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2021, 10:46:14 PM »
Pressed together cranks aren't a big issue. They have been used forever. Look at all the Harleys on the road. They really only have a problem when someone bumps them way beyond what they were designed to do.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Offline Beowulf

• Gosling
« Reply #56 on: December 16, 2021, 07:04:56 AM »
well thank you for posting that manual regarding the electronics. My favorite part :"

As a result, the functionality of these devices can only be
tested with the diagnostic software. The unit is contained in a sealed casing. In the event of
malfunction of any of the internal devices, the entire unit must
be replaced."

I know this was mentioned a few times. Does not seem like a bad system but I dont like the integrated unit. If this craps out after warranty I might be tempted to do something crazy like carbs. Hopefully wont come to that and I dont know if thats feasible.

Just to be clear the dealer I took this to is not MPH and I would like to state I have not had any dealings with MPH but I what I heard is positive and that I know they are always busy. Im glad I bought the bike from AF1 but Im hoping this sorts this out and I dont see this Houston dealer lasting long.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #57 on: December 16, 2021, 08:31:15 AM »
well thank you for posting that manual regarding the electronics. My favorite part :"

As a result, the functionality of these devices can only be
tested with the diagnostic software. The unit is contained in a sealed casing. In the event of
malfunction of any of the internal devices, the entire unit must
be replaced."

I know this was mentioned a few times. Does not seem like a bad system but I dont like the integrated unit. If this craps out after warranty I might be tempted to do something crazy like carbs. Hopefully wont come to that and I dont know if thats feasible.

Just to be clear the dealer I took this to is not MPH and I would like to state I have not had any dealings with MPH but I what I heard is positive and that I know they are always busy. Im glad I bought the bike from AF1 but Im hoping this sorts this out and I dont see this Houston dealer lasting long.

A lot of people have that reaction to technology, which is funny, because cars for instance are so much more heavily reliant on it these days with a dozen separate computer modules all networked and tons of components that are integrated and only replaceable as a unit. And guess what? Most last for hundreds of thousands of miles and decades without failure. Sure some will happen, that's life.

If you drop your phone (and don't have insurance) or tablet or laptop you could be out as much as the unit in question.

Ride more, worry less. ... at least once they fix it. Which they or someone will.

On the diagnostics, I'm assuming GuzziDiag (free shareware) could also tap into it for error codes and some live data collection to see what's wrong.

But scan tools aren't everything and a tech needs to also think through a problem. A significant number of "electrical" malfunctions are actually mechanical in nature - a physically damaged component that isn't acting properly but the scan tool doesn't just name it, it names the system that is affected.

As for retrofitting carbs, that sorta idea will get support from the luddites who are scared of or don't understand the aforementioned technology but it's a bad idea on so many levels. Not the least of which for someone who is a daily rider, as when straightened out the EFI bike will start and run easier and require less attention its entire life.

Poop happens to everything once in a while. Once this is sorted you'll be good to go.

PS MPH is/was once very loved here. They are good people who Piaggio screwed to give another dealer a franchise. I'm not even sure if the guy you're talking to is the same one for whom Piaggio screwed them, might be, or he might have already failed and this is another. But for future reference, MPH is definitely a good resource. Of course, I have no idea if they have any official relationship with Piaggio NA anymore so I don't know if they could do warranty work per se, still it's good to be aware of them if you're in their area.

Good luck!
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Beowulf

• Gosling
« Reply #58 on: December 16, 2021, 08:48:16 AM »
 :boozing:Good point on the carbs. This bike is my daily transportation so I get the point of fuel injection. So anyways I miss it terribly. thanks to all

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #59 on: December 16, 2021, 02:39:28 PM »
A lot of people have that reaction to technology, which is funny, because cars for instance are so much more heavily reliant on it these days with a dozen separate computer modules all networked and tons of components that are integrated and only replaceable as a unit. And guess what? Most last for hundreds of thousands of miles and decades without failure. Sure some will happen, that's life.

If you drop your phone (and don't have insurance) or tablet or laptop you could be out as much as the unit in question.

Ride more, worry less. ... at least once they fix it. Which they or someone will.

On the diagnostics, I'm assuming GuzziDiag (free shareware) could also tap into it for error codes and some live data collection to see what's wrong.

But scan tools aren't everything and a tech needs to also think through a problem. A significant number of "electrical" malfunctions are actually mechanical in nature - a physically damaged component that isn't acting properly but the scan tool doesn't just name it, it names the system that is affected.

As for retrofitting carbs, that sorta idea will get support from the luddites who are scared of or don't understand the aforementioned technology but it's a bad idea on so many levels. Not the least of which for someone who is a daily rider, as when straightened out the EFI bike will start and run easier and require less attention its entire life.

Poop happens to everything once in a while. Once this is sorted you'll be good to go.

PS MPH is/was once very loved here. They are good people who Piaggio screwed to give another dealer a franchise. I'm not even sure if the guy you're talking to is the same one for whom Piaggio screwed them, might be, or he might have already failed and this is another. But for future reference, MPH is definitely a good resource. Of course, I have no idea if they have any official relationship with Piaggio NA anymore so I don't know if they could do warranty work per se, still it's good to be aware of them if you're in their area.

Good luck!

"That's life" it's an easy throw away statement until it's your own machine that's affected. It's a bit like "no worries it's got a warranty" Has anyone ever utilised the wonderful and amazingly easy and hassle free pathway most warranty claim end to end processes are for anything of a remotely technical nature is these days? I love fuel injection, wouldn't want to go back to carbs for any money but integrating the ecu and sensors into one unit is beneficially done for the manufacturer not the future owners. Cheaper, easier assembly, easier packaging and less wiring. It's not done for the good of the owner. Combine this with incompetent dealership mechanics and short warranty periods for motorcycles compared to the car world and there's room for concern. 
My V11 sport which has only done 42,000klm has had the ecu replaced (recently by me) for a failed baro sensor which is not that uncommon and has happened enough for there to be "home ecu repair" information on it for those with the abilities to carry out ecu disassembly and micro soldering. The previous 16M ecu had the baro sensor separate and easily replaceable. On the same bike I've re bushed and replaced the seals on the throttle body shafts ( a task I've done on 2 other Guzzi throttle bodies now) and they are good for about 50,000klms before shaft bushing wear starts affecting the low speed running and idle.
It's not an objection to technology for many it's an objection to integrating technology in a manner that's a risk for the owner in the medium to long term future. I know many people that stick to older vehicles because of this very concern and they aren't fools and luddites with regards to engineering skills believe me. What they are is smart enough to read the "tea leaves" with regards to future potential grief when "that's life" happens.
I love advancements in technology, bring it on I say but be aware who's the ultimate beneficiary, the owner or the manufacturer. Not really an issue for those that turn their vehicles over every 3-5 years but for those without access to a convenient technically competent dealer or are the "keeper type" it's worth considering the "modularisation" of the componentry.

Ciao
« Last Edit: December 16, 2021, 02:52:15 PM by lucky phil »
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much room.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here