Author Topic: Griso battery  (Read 1214 times)

Offline Trogladyte

• Gosling
  • Location: South London - home of the world's best football team.
Griso battery
« on: December 05, 2021, 02:14:47 PM »
The battery in my 8v Griso is a YTX16- BS. The only one I can find locally is is a Yuasa YTX16. It's AGM maintenance free, 14.7 Ah, 230A. Will that be OK?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 05:05:25 PM by Trogladyte »

Offline Dave Swanson

• Gaggle Hero
  • Northern Illinois USA
Re: Griso battery
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2021, 04:25:14 PM »
Yes, that will work.  I replaced mine with a MotoBatt.  It has a bit more beef.

https://www.batterymart.com/p-mbtx16u-motobatt-agm-battery.html

« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 04:26:27 PM by Dave Swanson »
Dave Swanson - Northern IL
1935 GTS
1968 V700
1973 V7 Sport
1974 Eldo
1974 Police Eldo
1976 Convert
1977 Lemans 1.2
1980 T3 California
1993 1000S - Sparklehorse
2004 V11S - Eraldo-ized
2016 Griso SE - Beetle-ized
2021 V7-850 Stone Centenario
2022 V85TT Guardia d'Onore
2023 V100S

MGNOC L-780

Offline Kent in Upstate NY

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2021, 06:19:03 PM »
No, it will not be good. You need a YTX 20 CH-BS or equivalent. The battery also needs to be activated properly.
Correctional educators don't make the criminals you fear. We make the criminals you fear smarter.

Offline pebra

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2021, 06:22:24 PM »
What Kent said.

There's also expert advice on the Griso Ghetto!

Guzzi HTMoto Roadster "Verdina"
2009 Griso 8V "Weißgerät"
Norge-man - introduction #ca 198 shown Guzzi #195

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2021, 06:22:24 PM »

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2021, 09:59:55 PM »
What Kent and Pebra said.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline Trogladyte

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2021, 02:44:42 AM »
Ok. Now I'm confused. The bike has got a YTX16 BS in it, which has been ok for 4 years. An online registration based tool recommends this battery. I've found a YTX16 ( not BS - does that matter?)

Are you saying this battery is unsuitable - that it will be a problem? Or are you saying that there are better batteries?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2021, 02:45:36 AM by Trogladyte »

Offline pebra

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2021, 03:58:21 AM »
Admittedly our winters are colder up here, but as the riding season is shorter maybe our conditions are comparable to London?
London England, right? And you're a Spurs supporter?  :grin:

I installed a YTX20CH battery in 2014 and could probably have kept it a bit longer, but changed to a BTX20CH recently.
Believe that's in line with specifications.
Guzzi HTMoto Roadster "Verdina"
2009 Griso 8V "Weißgerät"
Norge-man - introduction #ca 198 shown Guzzi #195

Offline RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2021, 08:29:52 AM »

There are several differences between the numbers reccomended. I would suggest you go to Yuasa website and download their battery Application guide PDF.
 It will explain the differences in amps, connector locations and physical dimensions.  My $.02

ttps://www.yuasabatteries.com

Paul B  :boozing:
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2021, 04:12:28 PM »
Ok. Now I'm confused. The bike has got a YTX16 BS in it, which has been ok for 4 years. An online registration based tool recommends this battery. I've found a YTX16 ( not BS - does that matter?)

Are you saying this battery is unsuitable - that it will be a problem? Or are you saying that there are better batteries?

I had the same confusion! As I recall the BS stands for, "it comes with the acid bottles and you have to pour them in."   

The YTX16 is spec'd for the Stelvio, so the difference could be the Griso's funky mounting position.  I remember going through this and then just going with the Motoblat.  It was a lot cheaper at least here in the States.
George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2021, 11:12:13 PM »
I bought a Griso with a dud battery (had been sitting for years) so I asked on the Griso Gheto for recommendation.
Pete Roper got back and recommended a YTX 20-CH BS and he said to be sure to leave it sit overnight after adding the acid otherwise it may spit it out.
What Pete says is good enough for me.
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2021, 04:58:47 AM »
The 20 has more plates than the 16.  Larger capacity and a better CCA.

Overall, I suspect less strain on the battery.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline Mackers

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Five miles or 1000ft...how hard can it be?
    • Motoguzzimackers Moto Guzzi Diaries
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2021, 04:05:30 PM »
I replaced the 16 in my Breva 1100 with a 20. The engine jumps out of its skin when I press the starter. The 20 is slightly taller than the 16 so the battery cover doesn't fit.
Raymond Massey:  "No doctor, I think this calls for something special. 
                  I think, perhaps, the Melbourne Method!".

Peter Lorre:  "Not the Melbourne Method!!  Please!!"

- Arsenic and Old Lace, 1944.

('06 Breva 1100 and '02 Cali EV - '01 Metal Stone deceased).

Offline Trogladyte

• Gosling
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2021, 04:39:51 AM »
OK. I'm going to fit this AGM YTX16 as I've got it in my hot little hands, and it seems to fit OK, and it seems to be pretty similar to what was in there. I could get a 20, but it would take some time, and involve returning the one I've got. And all that will take longer than I've got - it needs to be running for its annual safety check.

What I'm taking from this is that the 20 a/h is a better battery, but the 16 will do. Is that right?

What I'm puzzling about most is the "BS". I cant find any reference online to a YTX 16 - only a YTX 16 - BS. The one in it is a BS, but the new one I have just says YTX 16. It's a maintenance free AGM battery - there is no acid or anything, and it's all ready to rumble.

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2021, 04:49:34 AM »
What I'm puzzling about most is the "BS". I cant find any reference online to a YTX 16 - only a YTX 16 - BS. The one in it is a BS, but the new one I have just says YTX 16. It's a maintenance free AGM battery - there is no acid or anything, and it's all ready to rumble.

The law changed over here recently so that you can't have bottles of acid shipped to stop you pouring it over someone

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/government-introduces-tough-new-measure-to-prevent-acid-attacks
2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2021, 05:42:56 AM »
OK. I'm going to fit this AGM YTX16 as I've got it in my hot little hands, and it seems to fit OK, and it seems to be pretty similar to what was in there. I could get a 20, but it would take some time, and involve returning the one I've got. And all that will take longer than I've got - it needs to be running for its annual safety check.

What I'm taking from this is that the 20 a/h is a better battery, but the 16 will do. Is that right?

I'm sure the 16 will start ok while the weather is warm, there's no reason not to use what you have now, you can always upgrade to a 20 next time.
The Yuasa is a fine battery IMHO
Is the bike inside or left out to the elements, do you use a battery tender, daily rider of just a weekend warrior? I gather that garage space is at a premium in your part of the world.
The 8 Valve Grisos suffer from Startus Interruptus (weak start relay supply) but that's an issue not related to battery size.
The starter solenoid is designed to draw > 50 Amps but its throttled through the ignition switch to about 30 on a good day.
Those bikes benefit from cleaning the terminals and applying Vaseline or other form of grease, also the main battery ground behind the starter motor needs to be cleaned and greased, its a common problem on the Griso.
It might be interesting to measure the Voltage across the battery terminals while the bike is cranking over, I think there is a low limit where the ECU will stop trying to crank, I have a Voltmeter on several of my bikes they seem to crank fine at 10 Volts.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2021, 06:15:29 AM by Kiwi_Roy »
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline Trogladyte

• Gosling
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2021, 07:44:26 AM »
Thanks all. Really helpful.

The bike lives in a garage, but it is not heated. In the UK that means periodic winter frost. I do ride regularly - bikes are my means of transport. But the Griso is not my only bike. It gets used for pillion and long distance, so much less in winter. Day to day hooliganism is dealt with by a KTM Superduke 1290R.

Offline berniebee

• 2020 Board Donor
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2021, 02:23:52 PM »
The law changed over here recently so that you can't have bottles of acid shipped to stop you pouring it over someone

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/government-introduces-tough-new-measure-to-prevent-acid-attacks

BS in Yuasa speak stands for "Bottle Supplied" , ie, a container of acid is shipped with the battery. AGM batteries are shipped filled and sealed, thus they won't have an BS suffix on the battery number.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here