Author Topic: If you could have ONLY ONE M/C in a lifetime?  (Read 4388 times)

Offline Guzzitenn

• New Egg
  • 2018 V7lll Rough
Re: If you could have ONLY ONE M/C in a lifetime?
« Reply #60 on: December 07, 2021, 05:52:55 PM »

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #61 on: December 07, 2021, 06:27:28 PM »
I love a standard bike.  Would probably be an air cooled Ducati Monster

this is very persuasive
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
  • uh.... it's personal....
« Reply #62 on: December 07, 2021, 06:59:06 PM »

One bike based on logic and experience from 20 yo on (1979)
Easy, the 1996 to present Suzuki DR650SE (which I bought new in January 2008)
The same bike churned out for 25 years plus.

I even picked up a 2021 brand new take off tank this year so splashed out on a new MY21 black rear fender headlight cowling and SM front guard.
Modified of course but does everything.
Two sets of wheels (I got Procycle 17 inch wheels and big brakes for it back in 2009) a Corbin seat etc and it could do to the supermarket (off road or not) or round the world.
To own one is to know one.

Nice graphics and color.  I don't think that combination ever made it to the USA.

What year is that bike?
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
1994, 2001, & 2002 MZ Skorpions
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #63 on: December 07, 2021, 07:30:53 PM »
The only bike I know of that would satisfy the various versions of me from age 20 til now would be a frankenbike police Eldo with an 1100 cc mill, triple disk brakes, automotive alternator, spotlights, upgraded suspension. With a tractor solo seat.

Something like these beaters I cobbled together from spares, only better trimmed and executed. 

2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: December 07, 2021, 07:30:53 PM »

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #64 on: December 07, 2021, 07:38:14 PM »
Because they were asked to choose only one.

Yep, which is why I and some others selected one bike that can be transformed as our wants and desires change. I do get that this is just a theoretical exercise. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline egschade

• Gaggle Hero
  • Eric - MGNOC NJ Rep - mgnocnj.forumotion.com
« Reply #65 on: December 07, 2021, 08:12:24 PM »
That's like asking, "If you could only eat one genre of food the rest of you life...". Well I like all kinds of foods and also like all kinds of bikes. As the saying goes, 'Variety is the spice of life'.

If I HAVE to make a choice it would be a larger dual-sport/ADV bike. Preferably an air/oil cooled twin with enough oomph for highway work but light enough to be fun in the twisties and light off-road work. Compliant suspension and shaft drive (really dislike chain maintenance). Good looking with a bit of styling panache and uniqueness.

Wait - I'm describing my V85TT  :shocked: :thumb:
The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #66 on: December 08, 2021, 07:37:17 AM »
I'm happy with my first-series V7 Special, now with cast wheels. I wish it had a single-sided swingin' arm. By the way, as many of you will know, when the V7s with cast wheels come from Mandello, they have tubes in their tires. The wheels are rough where the tire beads seat - you cannot assume that tires without tubes will just mount and work on those cast wheels. Ask me how I know...

I noticed this the other day and meant to ask.

I've removed/installed the cast wheels on my V7s, but I've NOT changed the actual tire (I drop them off at a local shop, though I keep meaning to "change" that in the future).

Anyway, Cam's bike had spokes when you bought it.

Are you saying you bought a set of the OEM Cast Aluminum wheels and couldn't get them to seal?!?

All the literature I just checked (including the service manual and owner's manual) for my 2013 with those wheels specifically say: Tubes for the spokes and Tubeless for the cast. And, I really doubt the two shops I've brought my V7 wheels to would have just replaced the tubes without charging me (or at least asking me if I wanted to change the tubes) if you know what I mean.

So I'm curious.

Anyone here with a late-model V7 change their own tire on a cast wheel?!?
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

jwinwi

« Reply #67 on: December 08, 2021, 07:53:15 AM »

Wasn't available when I was 20 but doesn't matter according to BC. 20 Year old me would think the ergonomics, with Heli bars,  were perfect; 54 year old me can see I can't ride it forever but I still get a lot of smiles per gallon.

Online Stretch

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #68 on: December 08, 2021, 08:04:23 AM »
Just one? Inconceivable!

Maybe a /5 or /6 BMW.

Or a GS model.

Lots of them have super high mileages, they are relatively easy to work on,
plenty of parts and services are available to keep them on the road, and they're
adaptable for everything from long-distance touring to vintage racing. I might
pick the R75/5.

-Stretch
1967? Change Jiang M1M
1978 Yamaha SR500
1987 BMW K75S
2011 Kawasaki KLR650
2011 Triumph Rocket III Touring
2015 Triumph Trophy
2017 Moto Guzzi 1400 California Touring

Offline Scud

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #69 on: December 08, 2021, 09:19:01 AM »
This is an easy one for me, because of the versatility. I am not willing to give up off-road riding. So... the Husqvarna 701 Enduro. By far the best all-around motorcycle I've ever had.

- Can handle technical single track and be pushed almost as hard as a true 450 dirt bike.
 - Long service intervals like a street bike
 - Easy to swap wheels - I would want 3 sets (21"/18" aggressive knobs for off-road, 21"/18" street-biased tires for day-to-day, and a set of 17" super-moto for sport riding)
 - Full rally tower conversion kits, extra fuel tanks, and racks-luggage available for long-hauls
 - Totally competent two-up on or off-road
 - Can be lowered when I am too old to climb on that high-horse.
 - and no painting ever. Want to "restore" the bike or give it a new look? Just slap on a new set of plastics (custom graphics are easy too).

And while we're at it...
one car: my current 4WD F250. It has to be a big truck. 'nuff said.
one kind of food: Mexican

1989 Moto Guzzi LeMans
2002 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport Scura
2017 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
2017 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
2020 Yamaha TW200

Offline guzzimatic

• Gosling
« Reply #70 on: December 08, 2021, 11:27:17 AM »
There can be only one…my 1974 Norton Commando roadster! I bought it new in Springfield,Illinois in 1975,it had sat on the dealers floor for a year at 2695.00 then they dropped the price 800.00 and I knew this would be my last chance at a new Norton! I rode it to Lake Tahoe in October of 1978 and stayed for 5 years! Unless you are fairly lucky you have probably never had a chance to ride one… It is such a charismatic piece,full of foibles but when properly fettled a ride like no other!!!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2021, 11:36:02 AM by guzzimatic »
big Jim Walker bikes:'08 Norge,02'DR650,'84LeMans III,,'78 honda cb750k,'78 BMW R100S,'77 Ducati 860GT ES,'77honda XR75, '76 GUZZI convert,'75 850T cafe[project],'75 RD350 yamaha,'74 NORTON commando,'72 750 Norton flattrack replica,'72 250 Rickman-Montesa,'72 XL250 Honda Mosport[first bike

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #71 on: December 08, 2021, 11:44:24 AM »
There can be only one…my 1974 Norton Commando roadster! I bought it new in Springfield,Illinois in 1975,it had sat on the dealers floor for a year at 2695.00 then they dropped the price 800.00 and I knew this would be my last chance at a new Norton! I rode it to Lake Tahoe in October of 1978 and stayed for 5 years! Unless you are fairly lucky you have probably never had a chance to ride one… It is such a charismatic piece,full of foibles but when properly fettled a ride like no other!!!

I love my Commando, and will never sell iit, but as an only bike it would crush my soul. So many sunny days not riding due to some stupid thing needing fixing.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Offline steven c

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #72 on: December 08, 2021, 12:23:47 PM »
 A friend of mine a long time Norton owner rode his Interstate from CT to the Mid Ohio about 10 years ago and no one belived him even though his bike was covered with mud from riding on back dirt roads.
2020 V85TT Traveler
74 949 Eldorado

75 Benelli 250
2006 Buell Ulysses
78 Honda XL125

MGNOC 6412

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #73 on: December 08, 2021, 12:37:11 PM »
Probably the 76 LeMans or the 93-1000S.

I would keep those types of bikes but not a dirt only bike and I have no interest in a GS of any year.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #74 on: December 08, 2021, 12:59:37 PM »
Chad posed the question about living with ONE bike, not “I really like this one on a sunny day” or, “my KLR is great for 174 - 273 mile days, but I still need my Sport for canyon carving...” Blah, blah..
There are also examples of..
“I just change the wheels if I want to ride in the mud”, or, “I simply pop in another engine if I want more power”, or, “I alter the ‘bars to suit my mood..”

I like the aspect of the question that contains the meaty goodness.

The whole point is that, it’s not always sunny, there are not always canyons..etc.
The ONE bike that you will not sell in your remaining lifetime, it has to do everything from here on to the end and if you sell it, you’ll never own another.
It’s the eternal compromise.
Your “favourite bike” may not necessarily be the “best bike”, because when thinking about favourite rides, you’ll be selecting little jewels from a great pile of dross, that makes up a goodly proportion of your total experience.
The ONE bike that has to fit all tasks and when you’re on it, you know there will never be another.
Even if your next ride demands something different.
Likely as not, if you select wisely, it’ll not be great at anything, but acceptably good at everything.....

A bit sad really... : :sad:
« Last Edit: December 08, 2021, 01:12:57 PM by Huzo »

Online bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #75 on: December 08, 2021, 01:14:16 PM »
What Huzo said, sort of.

Yes , one bike, and not one you road as a kid, that’s why I picked 20 years of age for the starting point.  It doesn’t matter if the bike didn’t exist when you were 20, it just means any bike yo road as an adult.   You can use whatever criteria you want, Huzo is just offering his own ideas for motivation.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Online cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
« Reply #76 on: December 08, 2021, 01:27:47 PM »
It's easy to be dissatisfied in life, especially in the western world where there's plenty of options, free time and disposable income (or cheap credit.) 

how many people in the world will only ever own a small displacement two stroke or Honda CT-derivative four stroke single bike?    If the alternative to having just one bike forever is not having a bike at all, I would be happy to have just about any bike.  Getting to choose whatever I want is a win-win. 

My choice of V7 Sport is less practical to fix & repair than my FLH shovelhead (which would happily be my alternate forever bike) but I can live with the consequences of choosing either, whether that means tall bars and a King & queen seat on my Guzzi or clip-ons & rear sets on my shovel.....  And if needed, the old CT90 parked in the shed beside my other bikes would be completely adequate to keep me in the wind.  That's exactly why it's there.
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #77 on: December 08, 2021, 01:39:45 PM »
It's easy to be dissatisfied in life, especially in the western world where there's plenty of options, free time and disposable income (or cheap credit.) 

how many people in the world will only ever own a small displacement two stroke or Honda CT-derivative four stroke single bike?    If the alternative to having just one bike forever is not having a bike at all, I would be happy to have just about any bike.  Getting to choose whatever I want is a win-win. 

My choice of V7 Sport is less practical to fix & repair than my FLH shovelhead (which would happily be my alternate forever bike) but I can live with the consequences of choosing either, whether that means tall bars and a King & queen seat on my Guzzi or clip-ons & rear sets on my shovel.....  And if needed, the old CT90 parked in the shed beside my other bikes would be completely adequate to keep me in the wind.  That's exactly why it's there.
But you are not in the Western world.
You are in Chad’s world and he did say “if..”

Online mhershon

• Gosling
« Reply #78 on: December 08, 2021, 01:51:13 PM »
Kevm, the front rim, which I assume is from a V7 Stone, required two trips to my good wheel/tire guy to smooth out the sealing surface to make it work. I figure that's why Guzzi puts tubes in the cast wheels. They know the inner surfaces of the rims are not finished well enough to ensure good seating for tires w/o tubes.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #79 on: December 08, 2021, 02:09:05 PM »
Kevm, the front rim, which I assume is from a V7 Stone, required two trips to my good wheel/tire guy to smooth out the sealing surface to make it work. I figure that's why Guzzi puts tubes in the cast wheels. They know the inner surfaces of the rims are not finished well enough to ensure good seating for tires w/o tubes.

I'm asking IF Guzzi does in fact actually put tubes in them. I have no evidence of that other than your experience.

Their tech info, which is indeed a weak link and may be wrong, SEEMS to claim they don't.

Your posts on the matter have me quite puzzled and curious though.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
« Reply #80 on: December 08, 2021, 02:10:23 PM »
But you are not in the Western world.
You are in Chad’s world and he did say “if..”

What's it like in Chad's world?  Do people have a funny accent or do they talk normal?
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #81 on: December 08, 2021, 02:14:13 PM »
What's it like in Chad's world?  Do people have a funny accent or do they talk normal?
Dunno mate.
I live in the best country in the world, so I’m of limited use.
Everyone here talks normally.

Online siabeid

• Hatchling
« Reply #82 on: December 08, 2021, 02:27:08 PM »
I agree with Huzo, and for that it has to be my 1976 T3 that I have had for 22 years. With Fac dampers, Wirth springs and Hagon shocks it handles very well. With  its Lemans 1 tank, Sp bars, and  Lemans 3 foot controls it is very comfortable and looks cool.  With its 3 Brembo brakes, it stops well. With its cafe fairing, heated grips and Wixom saddlebags it is great for long distance. It has Gilardoni cylinders and electronic ignition. It is totally reliable, doesn't leak and uses no oil. It does quite well on the terrible gravel road that I live on, will run 80 all day on the interstate, if needs be,  in good weather or bad.  My various other bikes may be faster or handle better or be lighter or more valuable, or  more "exciting" but nothing is as good of an all arounder as the old T3. I hope that one of my kids or grandkids keep it when I am gone.

Online bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #83 on: December 08, 2021, 02:43:26 PM »
No, it's not normal in my world, far from it.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #84 on: December 09, 2021, 09:01:42 AM »
Chad posed the question about living with ONE bike, not “I really like this one on a sunny day” or, “my KLR is great for 174 - 273 mile days, but I still need my Sport for canyon carving...” Blah, blah..
There are also examples of..
“I just change the wheels if I want to ride in the mud”, or, “I simply pop in another engine if I want more power”, or, “I alter the ‘bars to suit my mood..”

I like the aspect of the question that contains the meaty goodness.

The whole point is that, it’s not always sunny, there are not always canyons..etc.
The ONE bike that you will not sell in your remaining lifetime, it has to do everything from here on to the end and if you sell it, you’ll never own another.
It’s the eternal compromise.
Your “favourite bike” may not necessarily be the “best bike”, because when thinking about favourite rides, you’ll be selecting little jewels from a great pile of dross, that makes up a goodly proportion of your total experience.
The ONE bike that has to fit all tasks and when you’re on it, you know there will never be another.
Even if your next ride demands something different.
Likely as not, if you select wisely, it’ll not be great at anything, but acceptably good at everything.....

A bit sad really... : :sad:

Which is why I picked a UJM.  The ultimate compromise, but so capable of being so many things.  And picked the Yamaha XS750 because it came with all the available accessories to make it a world traveler.  You didn't have to remove anything to install the frame mounted fairing that I recall.  So 4 bolts and move some plugs and you had a naked roadster.  Strip it down, through on some knobbies and you have a scrambler.  Cafe bars and rear sets and you have a sport bike. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Online Joliet Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Justus Esto, Et Non Metue
« Reply #85 on: December 09, 2021, 09:27:00 AM »

Picture Nightmare on Elm Street as a musical comedy.
1975 T160 Triumph Trident "Spot"
2002 Cali Stone "Moby Dick"
1998 Centauro "Psycho Chicken"
2003 Buell Blast "Pegasus"

Online Joliet Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Justus Esto, Et Non Metue
« Reply #86 on: December 09, 2021, 09:31:05 AM »
As much as I love the Beast if there could only be one it would be my current going on 21 years old V11 California Stone. It just does.....

1975 T160 Triumph Trident "Spot"
2002 Cali Stone "Moby Dick"
1998 Centauro "Psycho Chicken"
2003 Buell Blast "Pegasus"

Offline Bpreynolds2

• Gosling
« Reply #87 on: December 09, 2021, 10:22:19 AM »
As much as I love the Beast if there could only be one it would be my current going on 21 years old V11 California Stone. It just does.....

That’s a gorgeos and rare white one.  Did you paint it yourself?  I wasn’t aware the white made it to these shores.  I’m wrong, likely.  Glad you posted this.  I’m now considering what color to go on the tank to my Cali Stone project (it also has the grey fenders and side covers.  Anyhow, a sharp and good choice there. 
2020 T120 Bonneville

LesP

« Reply #88 on: December 09, 2021, 06:41:41 PM »
Nice graphics and color.  I don't think that combination ever made it to the USA.

What year is that bike?

I bought it new (Metallic blue) in January 2008 @ AU$8500 ride away and had never owned a single cylinder 4 stroke nor did I test ride it.
No need to preach to the choir for those who own a DR even in dead stock form.

It would appear it is the end of the line for the DR650SE here in Australia due to no ABS (Of course DR owners know the stock front brake is a form of ABS)

It said one bike and the DR will do anything, on road, off road, long distance, single track, back roads dirt or tar, go to shops and light enough at around 150 kgs + to be manageable but still give a plushish ride.
A less is more, just get it done without fuss bike that has the charm of something from simple bike times of long ago.

Of course you can modify them to do everything better or with added comfort as an option but it will still have the DR character.
I will never sell mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bfJlPyycdI

Offline SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
  • uh.... it's personal....
« Reply #89 on: December 10, 2021, 06:55:00 AM »
I bought it new (Metallic blue) in January 2008 @ AU$8500 ride away and had never owned a single cylinder 4 stroke nor did I test ride it.
No need to preach to the choir for those who own a DR even in dead stock form.

It would appear it is the end of the line for the DR650SE here in Australia due to no ABS (Of course DR owners know the stock front brake is a form of ABS)

It said one bike and the DR will do anything, on road, off road, long distance, single track, back roads dirt or tar, go to shops and light enough at around 150 kgs + to be manageable but still give a plushish ride.
A less is more, just get it done without fuss bike that has the charm of something from simple bike times of long ago.

Of course you can modify them to do everything better or with added comfort as an option but it will still have the DR character.
I will never sell mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bfJlPyycdI

Exceptionally well said.  My sentiments exactly.  I will have at least one DR650 until my riding days are over.

One of the simplest, most trouble-free ways to experience a long ago aspect of motorcycles.

If you don't look down while you are riding it, easy to experience ones youth or even a never experienced nostalgic aspect of the past.

My DR reminds me of my first ride on a four stoke motorcycle.  A early 1970's Honda SL 100 when everyone I knew was riding a two stroke.  I still remember thinking "What a tractor!'
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
1994, 2001, & 2002 MZ Skorpions
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here