Author Topic: Glitter in V85TT Transmission Oil after First Service  (Read 1093 times)

Online QuickLime

• New Egg
Glitter in V85TT Transmission Oil after First Service
« on: December 11, 2023, 12:23:03 PM »
Hey all,
This weekend I did the first service and everything went pretty well, except for the transmission oil had some metal flakes stuck to the magnetic drain plug, and a few more in the jar I drained the oil into. That's aside from the standard fine metal particles that I'd expect, especially on a first bike. Possibly adding to this is that the shifter was (unbeknownst to me) misadjusted when I received the bike, so getting the bike into first was not very consistent and often took a few tries. Being my first Guzzi, I chocked it up to "Italian charm" and only brought it to the dealer at about 950 miles when I also had them clear the wrench icon. :embarrassed: They sorted it relatively quickly, but they also should have caught it in their PDI since it was pretty obvious while riding the bike. I'm not upset about it, but not sure if it could have contributed to the metal. Do you Guzzi experts think this is something to be concerned about and contact the dealer for, or not? Thanks!

« Last Edit: December 11, 2023, 03:47:05 PM by QuickLime »

Offline brider

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Glitter in Transmission Oil after First Service
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2023, 12:31:54 PM »
Maybe it doesn't matter, but do we know what model bike you're talking about?
'85 Cal II Auto
'71 Ambo project
'02 GasGas EC300
'07 Norge
Wish'd I'd never sold:
'72 Red Eldo
'74 White Eldo LAPD
'77 Convert with DB bags
'06 Gas Gas EC300
'86 LM IV

Online QuickLime

• New Egg
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2023, 12:40:39 PM »
Maybe it doesn't matter, but do we know what model bike you're talking about?
Oops! Definitely meant to include that, not sure if it matters either but it's a 2023 V85TT, and I did the service at 998 miles.

Online blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2023, 02:06:10 PM »
It looks like a lot to me.  You should send a picture to your dealer.  I see you are in Mass., if you bought from Jim Hamlin, you are in good hands.
Blue Guzz

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2023, 02:06:10 PM »

Online QuickLime

• New Egg
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2023, 02:12:02 PM »
It looks like a lot to me.  You should send a picture to your dealer.  I see you are in Mass., if you bought from Jim Hamlin, you are in good hands.
Unfortunately Hamlin is pretty far from me, I bought from Seacoast who have also been generally good but seem less experienced on Guzzi specifics as they're more of a Ducati/Aprilia dealer. I asked them about doing the trans/shaft oil as a part of the first service and they looked at me like I was crazy, meanwhile I called Hamlin to get their opinion and they said it was almost necessary. Maybe I should send them a picture as well...

Online blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2023, 03:47:24 PM »
The few times I have bought a new bike, I have let the dealer do the first service for reasons like you have there.  I just don't know what is too much, so, my hope is that they would catch any early problems.  So far, it has worked for me, but few new bikes.
Blue Guzz

Online QuickLime

• New Egg
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2023, 04:01:30 PM »
The few times I have bought a new bike, I have let the dealer do the first service for reasons like you have there.  I just don't know what is too much, so, my hope is that they would catch any early problems.  So far, it has worked for me, but few new bikes.
I was actually planning on it, but the dealer I purchased from (who was great during the sale and has generally been very easy to work with) let me know that their first service procedures are "by the book" meaning they do not change the trans or shaft oil. Instead of the nearly $600 they were asking, I decided to do all 3 oils and the valve adjustment myself.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2023, 04:02:09 PM by QuickLime »

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Glitter in V85TT Transmission Oil after First Service
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2023, 04:47:58 PM »
In this instance talking about how letting the dealer do the 1st service is like trying to unring a bell. The OP did the service so what's done is done. I would not worry about it but I would alert the dealer of what I found just for the record. I would worry about it if the next service you found the same or similar amount of swarf.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Online QuickLime

• New Egg
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2023, 05:18:38 PM »
In this instance talking about how letting the dealer do the 1st service is like trying to unring a bell. The OP did the service so what's done is done. I would not worry about it but I would alert the dealer of what I found just for the record. I would worry about it if the next service you found the same or similar amount of swarf.

Thanks for the advice, that seems pretty reasonable. There weren't any huge chunks so maybe I've just been overreacting. I'll send them the photos and give them a call tomorrow.

Offline Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2023, 05:40:28 PM »
Had the dealer done the service they wouldn't have touched it so nobody would have had a clue.
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Online QuickLime

• New Egg
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2023, 05:43:47 PM »
Had the dealer done the service they wouldn't have touched it so nobody would have had a clue.
Yep! That was my first reaction as well.

Sorry to bother you here and on ADVrider  :wink:

Offline Sykestone8886

• Gosling
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2023, 06:41:45 PM »
Not a bother. That’s what this forum is for.
54HDFL  73HDFLH. 85HDFLT. 73suzukiTS 250 76hHONDA cb360

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2023, 05:10:29 AM »
How far is “pretty far” from Hamlins?  I bought my V85 from him, and let him service it as well.  I live in south Jersey…
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Online QuickLime

• New Egg
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2023, 06:42:16 AM »
Not a bother. That’s what this forum is for.
:thumb:

How far is “pretty far” from Hamlins?  I bought my V85 from him, and let him service it as well.  I live in south Jersey…
Probably about the same, I'm 3 hours away. When I called Hamlin to ask them about my first service, they told me to use my local dealer. FWIW AJ Cycle is also about an hour from me, I haven't looked into them too much though.

Online mechanicsavant

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2023, 10:51:43 AM »
Did ya clean the trans filter ?
Personally I’ve had good luck w/A-J’s . Bought 5 bikes there so far (3 Beemers & 2 Guzzi’s) a bit of patients recommended as there’s only 2 people there . No relation to them aside from customer experience. Your results may vary!

Online QuickLime

• New Egg
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2023, 11:21:07 AM »
Did ya clean the trans filter ?
Personally I’ve had good luck w/A-J’s . Bought 5 bikes there so far (3 Beemers & 2 Guzzi’s) a bit of patients recommended as there’s only 2 people there . No relation to them aside from customer experience. Your results may vary!

Trans filter?!? I haven't seen anything eluding to a trans filter anywhere!

And good to hear regarding A-J. Seacoast has been pretty good to me so far but always nice to have other options.

Online QuickLime

• New Egg
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2023, 03:44:48 PM »
Quick update: I sent pictures over to the dealer and they let me know that I shouldn't worry and that this was a normal amount of shavings etc for a first change. Even though I was probably overreacting, having it in writing helps me feel a lot better!

Offline usedtobefast

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2023, 12:05:15 AM »
Not sure I'd call that normal.

Since the trans oil is easy and fairly cheap, I think I'd change it again around 600-900 miles and see what comes out.  If all super clean, maybe it was just junk from first assembly.  If a bunch of shaving come out again, hummmm.   :undecided:
2017 V7 iii Racer
2017 Griso
2016 Stornello
2000 Red Quota
Want a black/green 1000S big valve :)

Online mechanicsavant

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2023, 08:04:48 AM »
When ya remove the trans drain plug look in the hole you’ll see what looks like the bottom of a plastic thimble with a small tab on the “thimble “ bottom . Grab the tab w/pliers & wiggling a bit while pulling down . In short order you’ll have the filter in hand . If there’s no “thimble” there , it’s been removed or never installed @ factory . The filter is a clean (spray cleaner works well) & reinstall being carefull not to bugger the O ring on top edge of filter .

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2023, 08:16:07 AM »
When ya remove the trans drain plug look in the hole you’ll see what looks like the bottom of a plastic thimble with a small tab on the “thimble “ bottom . Grab the tab w/pliers & wiggling a bit while pulling down . In short order you’ll have the filter in hand . If there’s no “thimble” there , it’s been removed or never installed @ factory . The filter is a clean (spray cleaner works well) & reinstall being carefull not to bugger the O ring on top edge of filter .

You seem to be describing the other smallblock models (V7III, V7850 and V9). I don't have any experience with the V85 personally, but neither the workshop manual or the parts book shows a filter assembly on the V85 Transmission. At least not the ones I spot checked.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online mechanicsavant

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2023, 08:18:33 AM »
My apologies upon re-reading the post you have a V85/TT I was thinking of my V7/850 it appears the drain plug in your photo shows a much smaller drain plug than a V7/850 . My bad I’ll try to read slower !

Online mechanicsavant

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2023, 08:25:13 AM »
Yeah , Kev my Centanario has the same trans drain plug as my V7II . I’ve not seen any metal but on both bikes @ the first service when I removed the filter there was some RTV type sealer (or similar) in the screen . It hasn’t re-appeared since on either bike . Again sorry about the Faux pas

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2023, 06:37:05 AM »
Everyone has the fluid covered. 

I have a comment on the shift lever adjustment.  The shift lever, clutch lever, front brake lever are all adjustable and should be adjusted to the particular rider.  I have yet to see a dealer do this.  I it is pretty much up to you to adjust them for your ergonomics. 

Same goes for the suspension.  I have never seen a dealer set the static sag for a rider.  It is up to you to set the static sag for how you are going to ride the bike. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Online QuickLime

• New Egg
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2023, 07:27:26 AM »
My apologies upon re-reading the post you have a V85/TT I was thinking of my V7/850 it appears the drain plug in your photo shows a much smaller drain plug than a V7/850 . My bad I’ll try to read slower !
No worries!

Everyone has the fluid covered. 

I have a comment on the shift lever adjustment.  The shift lever, clutch lever, front brake lever are all adjustable and should be adjusted to the particular rider.  I have yet to see a dealer do this.  I it is pretty much up to you to adjust them for your ergonomics. 

Same goes for the suspension.  I have never seen a dealer set the static sag for a rider.  It is up to you to set the static sag for how you are going to ride the bike. 
Sure, an adjustment makes sense for the dealer to do, but when I received the bike, the shift lever was set up totally improperly, so that it had interference with the bracketing/frame that the footpeg is mounted to. It was minor enough that it didn't always cause issue, but it made it so that I couldn't shift from neutral into first, I had to go up to second, and then down to first, and even then I would often get neutral instead of first...

I realize this sounds incredibly dumb, but I'm young and this is my first Italian bike, so I figured maybe it was just a bit weird/temperamental 😅 If I had known it was just a shifter adjustment I would have done it myself.

Anyway, all good now, I rode it to work yesterday and it did great, no issues at all. I've adjusted the suspension which was pretty simple, I mountain bike, so this was essentially the same thing, but with much less adjustment. Also, considering how easy it is to set up the suspension to at least a decent baseline, I would have thought they would adjust it to something somewhat reasonable before delivery. Even for test rides they should be dialing it in, IMO.

Offline Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2023, 07:57:35 PM »
On the v85 both the shift and brake levers have an adjustable foot peg. There is also a threaded rod for more than minor adjustments.
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Offline egschade

• Gaggle Hero
  • Eric - MGNOC NJ Rep - mgnocnj.forumotion.com
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2023, 07:35:20 AM »

Except for Hamlin's who does change the trans and gearbox oil at first service just for this reason.
The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here