Author Topic: Good affordable helmets?  (Read 7010 times)

Offline redhawk47

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Traveler
Re: Good affordable helmets?
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2018, 11:55:43 PM »
Revzilla is selling on "closeout" Shubert helmets for about half price.
My riding buddy just bought one and says it is the quietest helmet he has ever had.
But it does fold his ears down when he puts it on.  :weiner:
Dan
2021 V85TT Centenario, 2016 V7II Stone, CSC TT250, Gone:KLR, CSC RX3,

Offline fossil

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2018, 12:07:55 AM »
Just OK-but same rating as my Shoei GT Air...

https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/helmets/?manufacturer=Nexx&model=All&type=1

Well, in a comparison (full style, with impact tests and so on) in our German magazine "Motorrad" the Nexx XR1.R was by far the best. And nobody expected it.
Greetings from Germany!
Thorsten

Offline oilhed

• Gosling
  • Former Guzzi, current Beemer & Harley
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2018, 07:14:49 AM »
I have been using a Shoei RF helmet like forever.  But I buy the soon to be replaced model with unpopular graphics on closeout.  It's a brand new helmet at less than half the price!

https://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/hot+deals/huge+helmet+blowout+sale/f/brand-227
MarkKF, aka OILHED
2009 BMW K1200LT
2018 HD FLHP

Offline AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2018, 07:38:34 AM »
Well, in a comparison (full style, with impact tests and so on) in our German magazine "Motorrad" the Nexx XR1.R was by far the best. And nobody expected it.

My cousin wore Nexx when he was racing. He had good things to say about them.

-AJ
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2018, 07:38:34 AM »

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2018, 11:22:17 AM »
But it does fold his ears down when he puts it on.  :weiner:

:grin:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Gustavo

• New Egg
  • Motociclista Errante
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2018, 04:17:44 PM »
A lot of good suggestions, but not the most obvious.  Go to a large motorcycle store and try them on, don't order via the Internet w/o making sure it fits your head shape correctly.  It doesn't matter how good a review a particular helmet gets, if it doesn't fit you right it will be noisy, create pressure points or even be downright dangerous, as it may come off in a crash and not do what it was bought for. 

Take a look at this resource on WebBikeWorld that is the only one that classifies helmets by head shape:

https://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmet-reviews-by-internal-shape/

This list may not include every single helmet you will find, but it's a good start to see what should fit similarly.  And as always, take all reviews with a grain of salt.  It's one man's impression and opinion, which may not be the same as yours.  I've found that even within the "right" groups for my head shape, not all helmets fit as well.

If you have an oval-ish (aka narrow) head, Scorpion makes some good options in full face and modular helmets at very reasonable prices. 

Gustavo
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 04:26:04 PM by Gustavo »

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2018, 07:43:10 AM »
RevZilla categorizes helmets by head shape. Also, refinements with fit are possible with cheek pads of various widths.
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2018, 08:01:46 AM »
RevZilla categorizes helmets by head shape. Also, refinements with fit are possible with cheek pads of various widths.

Not only that they'll take any helmet back (that hasn't been worn on a ride) and exchange for different model or size.

Also, if you're lucky enough to be in the greater Philly area you can go to their showroom and try most on. Or if it's one they don't stock in the showroom you can order 2-3 sizes and show up to try them on, then instantly return the ones you don't want/need.

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Mr Pootle

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2018, 03:55:55 AM »
The shape of your head reflects the shape of your brain, and I came across an article online this morning saying that studies show that those with a more oval brain have been found to have 2% Neanderthal dna.
Jpv7, shouldn't you be riding a Harley?

Online antmanbee

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2018, 07:16:34 AM »
Neanderthal had brains that were larger than modern Sapiens. Maybe those without the Neanderthal DNA are the Harley riders.

Anecdote, BTW I have an oval head and never owned a Harley. I don't know if I have any Neanderthal DNA in me but I might be willing to share my DNA with her if I met an attractive Neanderthal  :azn:

Offline et18

• Hatchling
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2018, 11:17:54 AM »
The things I have to add have already been said on this thread:  Motorcyclecloseouts .com and consider a helmet with a drop down sun visor.  A couple months ago I bought a Shoei GT Air for about $380 in a discontinued graphic pattern and it is by far the best helmet I've ever owned.  I thought the Quest was good but the GT Air is much quieter and the drop down shade is a game changer, especially if you're riding as the sun is coming up or going down.  I bought my wife a Shoei RF SR and suddenly she likes to ride with me longer and more often than she did with the cheaper helmets that came before.

A lot of good, inexpensive helmets have already been mentioned but if you really need a cheaper helmet you should toss AGV in the ring also, I wore out several AGV modular helmets before switching to Shoei.  They are well made, safe helmets, just not as quiet or comfortable as the top shelf stuff.

Congrats on your return to two wheels, there's really nothing out there to replace it.
2014 California Touring
1994 BMW R1100RS
2001 BMW R1200C

Offline PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2018, 02:41:56 PM »
OK, ive been out of the loop for over a decade!!  Just picked up a new to me 02 Cal stone, and seeing that I need a new helmet..  I LOVE my old Shoei RF108V that ive had since the late 80's....  as i grab it off the shelf I see the padding has deteriorated. Well searching for new i see....  $400+!!!  OK.. so here is what I want..  Full face, solid color, and nothing too fancy..  vents are nice, but I dont need all the bells...  I also prefer a fiberglass shell..  I just think its the best for impacts.  Whats out there thats basic, solid, and affordable? Any advice for me?

What size helmet are you looking for?  I've got two for Sale now in the Classified Section, one Nolan and one Nexx...let me know if either of those work for you.  Great prices...much cheaper than new!
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2018, 06:17:46 AM »
Info on internal shapes of helmets, it's all relative.

http://www.lidpicker.com/free-data/

Whaaaa...  Ya I need to get to a shop and try some on...   
Paul B

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2018, 06:42:05 AM »
Protection, or style? Decisions, decisions.  :undecided:

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2018, 07:58:01 AM »
Protection, or style? Decisions, decisions.  :undecided:

Style is not high on the list...  OK, maybe a little... I like solid color, and dont like the modern dull paint fad....  other then that.. I loved my old Shoei RF108V...  its just too old..  Just good, basic, do it all full face... 
Paul B

Offline jpv7

• Gosling
« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2018, 08:15:46 AM »
The shape of your head reflects the shape of your brain, and I came across an article online this morning saying that studies show that those with a more oval brain have been found to have 2% Neanderthal dna.
Jpv7, shouldn't you be riding a Harley?
Lol...my wife would argue in favour of that theory.  No Harleys for me, thanks.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here