Author Topic: 1200 sport no start...turn key nothing but headlight  (Read 13114 times)

Offline Rosso Woody

• Hatchling
Re: 1200 sport no start...turn key nothing but headlight
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2015, 07:29:50 AM »
Received a spare dash from Bisbonian to try and see if this would work....Thanks to Bisbonian for this!

But no dice the bike is still doing the same thing - so I am rulying out the dash- really becoming at a loss for what is wrong? I believe without the dash working, plugging into the ecu will not give you anything? This would probably meant the dealer will not have much luck either.

Need any help here - sounds like going to be something simple or overlooked. I amguessing that maybe one tjhing I have not check is the ignition switch? Is there a way to check the switch without removing or installing a new one?
David "Woody" Woodward
2017 Stelvio
2015 Suzuki GSXS 750
2007 Griso 1100
2005 Honda Ruckus
2004 Suzuki Wee Strom
2000 V11 Sport "Greenie"
1997 Sport 1100 ie

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2015, 10:12:59 AM »
I was starting to think ignition switch, you seem to be thinking that also.

I don't have a 1200 sport schematic but I believe it's similar to the Norge, the switch on it shows 6 wires all of which should be alive in the Key On position, if you can find the connector make yourself a Voltage probe with a sewing needle and poke it through the insulation of each wire to make sure it's alive. Perhaps do this on the switch side of the connector (will get replaced if the switch proves to be bad)
The tiny hole the needle makes won't let the magic smoke leak out unless you touch the needle to chassis of course.

A couple of other things
The number plate light and tail light come on with the key, I think they share the yellow wire with the headlight.
All the fuses should be alive with Key On Check for power at both ends, there is often a little opening in the back of the fuse where you can see exposed metal, your needle probe will work there too.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 10:17:56 AM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2015, 10:16:48 AM »
Did you verify that the ground connection at the engine is tight?
Did you pull and meter each fuse? Clean those and the relay connections?
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2015, 10:22:47 AM »

Still the same - only thing left to check is the ECU connections under the front of the tank.

My Norge was doing a no-start(bike has starter interuptus] some time back and only in hot weather, though I have not pulled the ECU connection I'm assuming that is my problem. It was always short lived when it happened as in I would just let the bike cool down and it would start and not die in route to the next stop. Don't know if this helps but I would look there for a problem.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2015, 10:22:47 AM »

stevepos

« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2015, 10:56:01 AM »
I got my problem solved at Caswell Cycle in Mora, MN for less than $300. The non weatherproof connection from the ignition wiring harness to the main wiring harness was corroded internally. I was told by the mechanic that it appeared normal but when he took it apart to inspect the terminals there was alot of corrosion. They initially cleaned and reconnected with some improvement but then replaced both ends of the connectors with an aftermarket water tight connector that did the trick. Why would Moto Guzzi not use weather proof connectors for a vehicle that is expected to be exposed to the elements at least occasionally? I always keep my bike garaged and was caught in a rain storm only once and that was at least 2 years ago. The gas tank needs to be removed to get to this particular connection. I would suggest that any time you have the gas tank off that every electrical connector that can be accessed should be checked. GOOD LUCK Woody! I am certain that you have the exact same bad connection.

Offline Rosso Woody

• Hatchling
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2015, 08:10:37 AM »
Found that connector and cleaned it and the bike did the dash sweep and started.

Now the new problem is the alarm light stays on solid. Does anyone know how to get rid of this? I cleared all the alarm codes out of the dash and placed the key immobilizer code in again, but the alarm light stays on. Do I need to input a whole new code?

I just cleaned the old connector and did not use a new connector. Is there something still in the old connector causing this problem? Actually there was a couple other connectors under there that looked worse, but the one from the ignition did the trick. Cleaned it and put in some dielectric grease on the connector.

Just need some help on the light ...afraid it might cause something with the keys for it not to start?
David "Woody" Woodward
2017 Stelvio
2015 Suzuki GSXS 750
2007 Griso 1100
2005 Honda Ruckus
2004 Suzuki Wee Strom
2000 V11 Sport "Greenie"
1997 Sport 1100 ie

Offline twhitaker

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2015, 08:30:38 AM »
Cleaned it and put in some dielectric grease on the connector.

??? You need to replace that stuff with something better.
'96 California 1100i 160,000 mi
'97 Centauro yellow 25,000 mi
'02 Champagne V11 LeMans 58,000 mi
MGNOC-11168
Dayton, OH

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here