Author Topic: Massachusetts to Sedona/Grand Canyon  (Read 12231 times)

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
Massachusetts to Sedona/Grand Canyon
« on: June 22, 2015, 08:38:38 AM »
We leave next week, God and wardrobe willing.

Time limitations mean a lot of interstate travel-any ideas/guidance wise advice/wise cracks?

We do have the coolong vests and mesh, and the attitude all set.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Massachusetts to Sedona/Grand Canyon
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 09:04:29 AM »
first thing is locating lodging around the Canyon.  Hopefully you have that covered?   The weather is always a crap shot when you're riding. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 10:41:07 AM »
Have you ever spent time in the desert during summer?  If not, then please learn the signs of heat stroke and how to prevent/treat it.  It is not fun and it is extremely dangerous.

FWIW, cooling vests, unless they are the ones that circulate cooled water, can become useless out here quickly.  Stop frequently in some place that is air conditioned.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline segesta

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 10:49:59 AM »
Avoid I-80/90 around northern Indiana if possible--a major truck route, and a hassle you just don't want to deal with.
--
2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Custom
2013 Ducati Monster 796
2010 BMW K1300GT

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 10:49:59 AM »

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 12:30:17 PM »
I just booked a room in Sedona for 7/5 through 12, not too hard.

Dusty, we'd love advice, we have to blast it but I would take any secondary route that I can. So 412 will be on the list.

Any other route advice, Massachusetts to AZ, sadly no twisties possible to-from but local to Sedona, will be VERY welcome.

Fuel range on Scouts will keep us hydrated I guess!

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 01:31:48 PM »
I just booked a room in Sedona for 7/5 through 12, not too hard.

Dusty, we'd love advice, we have to blast it but I would take any secondary route that I can. So 412 will be on the list.

Any other route advice, Massachusetts to AZ, sadly no twisties possible to-from but local to Sedona, will be VERY welcome.

Fuel range on Scouts will keep us hydrated I guess!

Sedona is HOT and 135 miles from the Canyon.  FYI, Flagstaff is much cooler and 50 miles closer.  I'd recommend trying to get a room or campsite in the Canyon or Canyon Lodge, even for a couple of nights.  By all means go to Sedona, it's a beautiful place and great ride from Flagstaff.   

Also, Williams has a train that goes to the Canyon that some like (I've not been there).

For one leg of the trip, I'd go through the Black Hills and ride through Colorado on through SE Utah or the 4 Corners.  I agree that N Indiana has some awful roads- but I have no recommendation what roads to take from NE.  If you make it through Okla give Dusty or me a PM. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

oldbike54

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2015, 01:38:21 PM »
Sedona is HOT and 135 miles from the Canyon.  FYI, Flagstaff is much cooler and 50 miles closer.  I'd recommend trying to get a room or campsite in the Canyon or Canyon Lodge, even for a couple of nights.  By all means go to Sedona, it's a beautiful place and great ride from Flagstaff.   

Also, Williams has a train that goes to the Canyon that some like (I've not been there).

For one leg of the trip, I'd go through the Black Hills and ride through Colorado on through SE Utah or the 4 Corners.  I agree that N Indiana has some awful roads- but I have no recommendation what roads to take from NE.  If you make it through Okla give Dusty or me a PM.

Yeah , shoot us a message  :1:

Dusty

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2015, 06:53:25 AM »
For a number of reasons, we will be based in Sedona for the week we spend out there, and we will be doing 412 across the barrens of OK.

Planning the PA turnpike across, well, PA. I do wish we had time for a more sedate pace out, we may decamp early to cruise home through CO etc.

I will PM when we get close.

Offline old head

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2015, 07:09:37 AM »
I recommend at least one night stay in the Grand Canyon.  The sunset and sunrise really lights up the canyon that you don't get during the day.
North side of the Canyon is much less developed, less traffic and tourists, very nice.

Lots of parks in that area, plenty to see and do.  Sedona is very pretty, but Flagstaff is much cooler.  If you have time try to get over to Jerome, it is an old mining town perched on the side of the ledge.  flagstaff has a ski resort, ride the lift to the top if it is running.

drink lots of water, it will be hot, and since it is so dry you won't sweat much as the sweat evaporates very fast.

I really miss that area, one day I will move back.

Old Head
06 Breva 1100
Hepco-Becker crash bars
Givi A620 screen
Garmin GPS

Offline radguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • N 44° 01.233 W 069° 41.267 ~ Midcoast, Maine USA
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2015, 07:36:22 AM »

Dusty & Ryter,
Good info, if you don't mind my wedging into the conversation...  I am traveling from San Diego to Maine in the near future and I-40 is a great deal of the route.

So 40 is a bumpy road...?  Concrete with bad seams or what...?  All of it...?

Thanks,
Rob

Current:
2004 EV Touring
'99 EV Hack
'76 V1000 'Vert
'80 SP 1000
2013 Harley FLHTC
'75 Triumph T160 Trident
'78 Triumph T140V Bonneville
'78 Yamaha XS 650
'88 Honda Hawk GT
'84 RZ350 KR
'71 Dalesman Trials

A VeeDub and an MGB...

The Journey is the Reward

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2015, 07:49:30 AM »
I40 quality varies depending on the area.  Most of it has been repaved in last few years and most of the OK City stretch has been fixed (it used to be brutal).  For the most part it is pretty smooth sailing.  Last month on my trip there were a few short stretches that had some potholes and such, but, was either avoidable by riding in left lane or did not last long.

To avoid some of the heat in AZ you can take an alternate route to Sedona in NM.  You end up going through the White Mountains.  A little longer but much cooler.  Caution, watch weather.  There are also more thunderstorms on that route, especially in the afternoons.

I40 Exit 89
South on NM117 and 36 to Quemado
West on US60 to Show Low
West on AZ260
Then either North on I17 to the Sedona turn off, or 260 to Cottonwood and then US89A to Sedona.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2015, 07:56:39 AM »
PS Grand Canyon.  South Rim is much more crowded than North Rim.  But, for good reason.  The views from the South Rim are much more varied and you see a lot more of the canyon.

I do like the hotel on the North Rim better just because of the patio view.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline Waltr

• Gaggle Mentor
    • Europa Macchina
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2015, 08:14:32 AM »
  I rode out to Phoenix one time in August.  Drink water and eat salt.  I had a pair of faded black jeans I rode in and wondered what the white stuff was after a few days, it was salt.  I also recomend keeping a few tubes of Blistex to use on your lips and also put some on your little finger and work up inside your nose. I discovered this when my nasal passages got so dry and cracked is was getting nose bleeds.  My friend in Phoenix said after time your body will adapt to the climate. 
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
www.motoguzzipa.com

2012 Norge

Online PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2015, 08:25:14 AM »
If you are going to be spending a few days around Sedona then take 89A over to Prescott. You won't forget Jerome and the ride over the mountain. You can do a loop and head back north on 89 after leaving Prescott. It will take you to the old RT 66 where you can follow the original road to Ash Fork and Seligman. The section from Williams to Kingman is really one of the last sections of 66 unchanged except for the missing businesses.

Pete

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2015, 08:28:28 AM »
The adaptation thing applies to Salt Lake as well.

I did a "recreational" construction project in Hesperia/Victorville a few years ago, with a trip deeper into the desert. Drinking is critical-and you seldom have to pee! But it isn't so bad in my experience.

Thanks so much for the tips. We may do the Canyon viewing by tour bus anyway. Might be nice to take a day off the bike.

Pete, that is a great post, I definitely will do that!

Offline Waltr

• Gaggle Mentor
    • Europa Macchina
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2015, 08:36:39 AM »
The bus may be just the ticket.  We were in Niagra Falls and decided to do the bus tour and thought it was the best decision.  The bus driver had a lot of info and facts I would have never gotten otherwise.  Forgot about Jerome.  Great little town.  Stayed in a B&B there one night.  The town was a dying mining town and was re-populated by Hippies and eventually became a sort of destination area.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
www.motoguzzipa.com

2012 Norge

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2015, 09:33:15 AM »
For a number of reasons, we will be based in Sedona for the week we spend out there, and we will be doing 412 across the barrens of OK.

Planning the PA turnpike across, well, PA. I do wish we had time for a more sedate pace out, we may decamp early to cruise home through CO etc.

I will PM when we get close.

good deal.  I'd like to see you all on 412.
John L 

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2015, 09:35:35 AM »
Dusty & Ryter,
Good info, if you don't mind my wedging into the conversation...  I am traveling from San Diego to Maine in the near future and I-40 is a great deal of the route.

So 40 is a bumpy road...?  Concrete with bad seams or what...?  All of it...?

Thanks,
Rob

give me a PM and we'll meet up or something.  I40 in Okla is a shitload better than N Indiana Rds. 
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 09:36:01 AM by LowRyter »
John L 

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2015, 09:52:38 AM »
We drive between Pittsburgh area and Tulsa at least once a year. I find it much nicer to take I79 from Pittsburgh down to Charleston, WV. To Huntington, Lexington, Paducah on the various slabs. At Paducah, I pick up HWY 60, which takes you across southern Missouri, to I44. It is not quite as fast as going on the more northern slabs, but more hills, more trees, more curves in the road. I70 across Ohio, Indiana , Illinois to St Louis is a special kind of  torture to me.
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

opc

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2015, 03:41:44 PM »

Once you're in Sedona, Hwy 89A  Sedona-Jerome-Prescott is a fantastic road for carving twisties/fun ride.  Can also head further south from Prescott to Skull Valley and even Peeples Valley for some nice scenery. 

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2015, 05:10:04 PM »
Aaron , probably the fastest way across Oklahoma is 412 to 183 , then South to I 40 . It may look a bit longer and slower , with a very few SMALL towns to negotiate , but OKC is never ending , and I 44 from Tulsa to OKC and I 40 West from OKC carry a lot of truck traffic , one can never be sure if all but one lane will be closed . That being said , if you are acclimated to dealing with heavy traffic running at stupid speeds , then the I 44 to I 40 route might save fifteen minutes , if there are no delays . If you have never traveled through Oklahoma , our Metro areas will surprise you with how large and spread out they are , and how congested the traffic is . Think Chicago , or at least Minneapolis  :grin: Heck , on a long trip that requires going through Tulsa , my departure times are early enough to clear 
T town by 4:30 AM , too many idiots  :rolleyes: . 412 is a broad smooth 4 lane all of the way to Enid , not much traffic , and I think 70 MPH limit . Just my very humble opinion .

Dusty

So-412 to 183? looks odd-did you mean another route? 183 heads northwest or southeast when it intersects with 412.

Or just turn left at Enid? And of course our fuel situation needs attention at 100-120 miles, I bet. Though we will see, and we are carrying a couple liters each.

Packing now, leaving Tuesday afternoon, I hope. Feels a little like 1979 when we set out on a slightly crazier trip, though it will be a bit more luxurious I hope!

Offline trippah

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2015, 09:20:59 PM »
Why 80 across Pennsylvania compared to 90 across NY  State?  PA is much more up and down and takes forever, NY flatter and admittedly a bit boring but I think faster.  Of course, I could  be and often am wrong. :grin:

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2015, 11:17:31 PM »
Not 80, the toll road, I think it starts as 76?

Looks shorter and more interesting but if someone tells me differently I'll listen. I've done the 90 route quite a lot.

Online PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2015, 07:07:50 AM »
No tolls on I80 in PA. Big tolls on I90 in NY. One option is take I88 at Schenectady to NY17 at Binghamton. This is xpressway to Corning where you can either take I86 to Erie or get on NY417 to Olean. 417 is a scenic two lane with very little to slow you down and more direct than I86.

Pete

Offline trippah

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2015, 09:03:17 AM »
PeteS - just did most of that this past Spring, and you are right, it is a good ride, my trip was from Jamestown through Salamanca to Binghampton up to Albany and back home.  Pleasant trip (given it was for a funeral).  My recollection of Penn Turnpike the length of that great state was lots of hills, a fair amount of traffic and a long time.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2015, 09:18:54 AM »
If you're making time the PA tpke is probably the best way across PA. It's mostly flat and straight and boring (and generally not too crowded except near either end [Philly/Pburgh] at the right times of day), but it gets a little prettier and starts to change elevation and direction a bit the last few hours (near Pburgh).
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2015, 10:36:07 AM »
So-412 to 183? looks odd-did you mean another route? 183 heads northwest or southeast when it intersects with 412.

Or just turn left at Enid? And of course our fuel situation needs attention at 100-120 miles, I bet. Though we will see, and we are carrying a couple liters each.

Packing now, leaving Tuesday afternoon, I hope. Feels a little like 1979 when we set out on a slightly crazier trip, though it will be a bit more luxurious I hope!

the most direct route is I-44 from St Louis to OKC, which goes right into I-40.  This is the old Rt 66 now interstate. (choose I-55 from Chi town or 1-70 from Indy). 

If you take 412, then 81 or 281 (which turns into 183) will take you straight south. 

There are million routes to take: weather, distance, challenge or scenic?   
John L 

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2015, 10:17:37 PM »
I am convinced that Oklahoma riders are spoiled, 44 & 40 were great!

In Santa Rosa NM tonight.

HardAspie

« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2015, 10:36:04 PM »
Monsoon season in Aridzona and probably parts of New Mexico. Be prepared for wildly varied temperatures from horridly hot and perhaps humid, to cool and rainy. These storms tend to be cellular convective in nature and not always huge in expanse. They can be violent though with large hail, hard rain to obscure visibility, and lightening that shows jut how good a conductor a biker can be. be ready to change into rainsuits in a hurry and keep overpasses in mind for shelter. Beautiful time of year but be careful. Oh, storms usually not in early hours, it takes heat to generate them Be ready any time around noon or later. Puddles can be deep and dangerous.

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2015, 08:52:21 AM »
Good luck today. Thunderstorms will be in your path.  I'd probably take the interstate as the White Mountains are getting hammered in the PM.  Wave when you go through Albuquerque  :)
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here