Author Topic: I hate to ask a battery question...  (Read 2194 times)

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
Re: I hate to ask a battery question...
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2021, 01:46:58 AM »
My take on that is the tender doesn't know if its a 12 Volt or a 6 Volt battery so errs on the safe side, I have an old wall wort off a printer for that scenario It puts out 1 Amp at 14 Volts with nothing more than a transformer and rectifier.

And that's the kicker Roy.

When I sold batteries the rep told me that by the time a calcium technology battery drops to 12 volts a smart charger will not recognise it as a battery, and just will not charge it.  I have a "dumb charger", which is like yours, a transformer and a rectifier.  I use this to get the battery up to about 12.5 volts, at which stage my smart charger will take over and pump in up to 6 amps if need be, and drop back to float when charged.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline kfz

• Gosling
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2021, 02:28:23 AM »
Im running my second odyssey after the first one lasted 9 years on the LeMans.  Im also running a MOTOBATT AGM (on 2 other bikes, one non Guzzi) which seems even more powerful.  Been one about 3 years now.

I always use a trickle charger if i leave them over a week. just to simply look after them.  Expensive do.

Kev

Online AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2021, 04:10:09 PM »
It's not looking like I can walk into Autozone and get one. No surprise, not an automotive size. Before I had the Odyssey 545 and I thought it worked fine. Odyssey recommends the 925. Above it was suggested to go with the 680. Before I pull the trigger and order what say people, split the difference and get the 680LMJ? This is for my Call Spec not the Ambo.

-AJ
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

Offline mobiker

• Hatchling
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2021, 08:06:25 PM »
I've never had a battery last longer than 4 years in my old airhead. It didn't matter if it was high dollar German made OEM or an el cheapo no name  made in Taiwan. Four years and done. Then, 8 years ago I bought an Odyssey. Its still going strong. I don't have power in my garage, so no tender. I do remove it each winter (its easy so if I want to ride in January its 10 minutes to put it back in). Its a 925. I will buy another when it dies. Best motorcycle battery I've ever had.

Lots of airhead GS riders over on Adventurerider use the 680 with good success. I bought the bigger and heavier 925 because I have never, not once in my life, been in a situation where I wished I had less  battery capacity. I have, however, been in situations where I wished I had more  :wink:
Mike

'88 BMW R100GS

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2021, 08:06:25 PM »

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here