Author Topic: Introductions thread...Introduce yourself to the group !  (Read 1033105 times)

Offline stick

• New Egg
  • Greater Worcester, MA
Re: Introductions thread...Introduce yourself to the group !
« Reply #960 on: August 21, 2013, 03:44:30 PM »
 ;-T
Howdy all:
My nickname has been "Stick" since grade school, and so goes the handle here (and on www.Ducati.ms). Real name is Michael.  
Live in Greater Worcester, MA.
Been riding since I was 14 years young, and a few decades have passed since then...  
Started with Honda, then my first Italian was a Ducati 500SL Pantah.  Bought it used in about 1984.  My GF at the time (then spouse) needed her own bike, and that's the 1st  'Guzzi that we owned - a 1981 Monza 500.  What a joy to own and ride.  Wish I never sold it, but she gave up riding after having our 1st child.  

Anyway, one of my favorite bikes now is a Ducati ST4s. What a comfortable rocketship!  Found I was putting too many miles on her, so I "needed" a comparable machine to use casually.  Along came a 1996 Sport 1100.  Turns out, it also to nice to rack up tons of miles.  So I found a 2002 Lemans, with about 53K mi., and she's my moto-mule now.  Had a 'bout with a Harley Ultra Classic for a bit over a year--always ran great, cruise cont. stereo, etc., but never totally in love with a 800+ pound touring bike (but I was much happier with it, than say a Gold Wing--something about a nice vee-twin to give it character).

So about a month ago, I arranged a test drive with a Stelvio with one of the dealers here in the Northeast.  Told them I needed to try it, AND I'd be bringing a possible trade.  "The deal" was close enough in my head to pull the trigger, so I came home with the Stelvio.  Amost at the 9xx mile "break-in / service".   Thanks to this forum, I see that there is a potential recall in the rear suspension link (Griso and Norge models also!).  Looked closely at this piece yesterday, and don't see any defect/fatiguing.  Dealer says I'm not affected, but I beg to differ...

Also, I've owned two 1978 BMW's...a R100S, and a R100RS Motorsport.  Old boxers are great, but the engine note sides to boredom. That said, I did put close to 100,000 miles on these two machines. What can I say, I guess I love my Italian ladies with 90 degree vee's.  And these 'Guzzi women seem to really like to drink!

Stick

PS: the previous post--Daniele, you've got little to worry about your English.  It seems even better than the natives over here!

« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 03:47:15 PM by stick »
Stick

Nothing like stuffing a Goose between your legs

2013 Stelvio NTX
2002 V1100 Lemans
1996 Sport 1100
2003 Ducati ST4s

MGD

« Reply #961 on: August 21, 2013, 05:27:51 PM »
Hello fellow Guzzi owners!  I purchased a Selvio NTX this year after owning several other bikes since 1995.  I hope I can add to the discussion!

Mike
Washington State, USA
Stelvio NTX - tentative name Donatella, but it hasn't stuck yet...  I do know "she" doesn't like my wife (many stories there for another time).

jet987

« Reply #962 on: August 21, 2013, 10:28:19 PM »
Henry

41yrs old

airline operations

Chicago, IL USA

just joined this forum today, the 1200 Sport interests me.

cimbian

« Reply #963 on: August 22, 2013, 01:57:39 PM »
Hi,
My name is Steve and I run a small company in the UK from a town called Bognor Regis on the south coast.

Recently upgraded from a 650 Honda TransAlp to a 2006 Breva 1100. :)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #963 on: August 22, 2013, 01:57:39 PM »

airhead

« Reply #964 on: August 23, 2013, 11:09:07 AM »
Arthur Richardson, Vancouver BC
Freelance web designer and programmer for 20 years
Motorcycle rider for 27 years
Currently MG 2007 Breva 1100

DungeonMaster

« Reply #965 on: August 24, 2013, 08:21:47 AM »
;-T
Howdy all:
My nickname has been "Stick" since grade school, and so goes the handle here (and on www.Ducati.ms). Real name is Michael.  
Live in Greater Worcester, MA.

Hmmm, be careful about joining AF1 apriliaforum.
There is already a guy known as "Stick" there.
yes, I was wondering if you were that guy but I decided you are not.

DM

Offline meccanicab

• New Egg
« Reply #966 on: August 25, 2013, 09:12:53 AM »
Hi there,

The name is James, I'm the owner of a 1100 Griso and live near Cambridge, England.
Iv'e owned the bike since new, about 6yrs, love it to pieces.
The two of us have covered over 25k around the UK and Europe.
Thought it was time I started to improve the bike,but been finding it difficult to obtain advice in the UK.
So, thought I would join and start picking your brains!
Looking forward to learning how to improve the old girl!!   ;-T

Online Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #967 on: August 25, 2013, 06:38:20 PM »
Welcome to the madness James.

A wide selection of people on this forum, and plenty of expertise to help you out.

I for one would have been in deep doodoo without the help and assistance from various members on this site. ;-T
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline meccanicab

• New Egg
« Reply #968 on: August 26, 2013, 02:00:18 PM »
Thanks Muzz...may the madness begin!

cronx1

« Reply #969 on: August 26, 2013, 04:48:58 PM »
 hello all. intro/short bio. long time lurker just purchased a 1976 convert. life time rider of american and Japanese bikes. this is my first foray into guzzis.

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #970 on: August 27, 2013, 08:03:48 PM »
hello all. intro/short bio. long time lurker just purchased a 1976 convert. life time rider of american and Japanese bikes. this is my first foray into guzzis.

Welcome. I'll put in a shameless plug for Zanesville this coming weekend. The State MGNOC rally. Come on over and spend some time around the (non virtual) fire. If your Vert cannot make it, come on anything, we don't care. No camping gear? We have beds available in the dorms. (No bedding, but there is a mattress.) Bring your family if you wish.

John Henry

roadhamr

« Reply #971 on: August 28, 2013, 11:53:12 AM »
Roadhamr, 42 years old and really getting interested in owning a Guzzi and I just want to be totally familiar with the product. I live in Canada in Central Ontario.

cronx1

« Reply #972 on: August 28, 2013, 12:03:53 PM »
thanks for invite john i already looked it up. less than 2 hrs from my house.

KiwiPhil

« Reply #973 on: August 30, 2013, 03:20:29 AM »
Hi all,

I'm Phil from quake city (Christchurch) New Zealand.
60 summers have passed and I'm a life time motorcyclist (who said these things are dangerous  ;D)
Gainfully employed for many of those summers as a bike mechanic on all the usual suspects but now into engineering and currently a production manager for an electronics company.
I have never owned a Guzzi but spent 3 years at a Harley shop that sold them as well, so I am familiar with them warts and all. I do love their simplicity and I am considering getting either a Breva 1100, Bellagio 940c or a V7 variant, all will suit me I'm sure.

Looking forward to joining in the discussions.  :)

sakurama

« Reply #974 on: August 30, 2013, 07:56:08 AM »
Gregor Halenda, 47, photographer www.gregorhalenda.com, Portland, OR

In 1990 I was just out of college looking for my first real street bike. I didn't know much about Guzzi's but I saw an ex race LeMans IV at a dealer and was in love. I sat on it, started it and was terrified at how loud and raw it was. I wanted it soooo badly. But I knew it was too much bike for me and that I'd meet an untimely end if I were to get it. I ended up with an old R90S and cut my teeth on that. I took schools, learned to race, got fast, won races and eventually turned the bike into a rather nice cafe. One that has inspired a lot of imitations.

At one point I met a friend with a seriously nice Manfred Hecht built Guzzi and I was fascinated with the stories I heard of Manfred and his shop in Brooklyn. Sadly, I never got to meet him. Regardless my friend Tom's bike drove the need for a Guzzi much deeper and his bike was a huge inspiration to my boxer. Our bikes were featured together in Classic Bike. I'll see if I can find the article and I'll post it in the cafe thread.

We bought a house recently and I've sold three bikes to keep the remodel going and I aim to replace them with projects as building bikes is as fun and fulfilling as riding them so every once in a while I'll look in CL for Guzzi's or Ducatis even though I can't really afford them at the moment. Well, the perfect bike came up and I couldn't help myself. An 85 LeMans IV with a full RaceCo engine and a rather rough body turned out to be the catnip I could not resist. I'll pick it up in a month.  

When I get to building it I'll post it up here but I have learned a lot and have a nicely equipped shop so I aim to make this bike a very special cafe racer. In the mean time I'll lurk and learn.

Gregor

Online Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #975 on: August 31, 2013, 05:52:43 PM »
Hi all,

I'm Phil from quake city (Christchurch) New Zealand.
60 summers have passed and I'm a life time motorcyclist (who said these things are dangerous  ;D)
Gainfully employed for many of those summers as a bike mechanic on all the usual suspects but now into engineering and currently a production manager for an electronics company.
I have never owned a Guzzi but spent 3 years at a Harley shop that sold them as well, so I am familiar with them warts and all. I do love their simplicity and I am considering getting either a Breva 1100, Bellagio 940c or a V7 variant, all will suit me I'm sure.

Looking forward to joining in the discussions.  :)

Welcome Phil; good to see another rock 'n roller. ;D

I take it you worked  at Eric Woods? I bought our Breva off him in 2004 when he was still the Guzzi agent. At least a couple of others from Christchurch here. I take mine off the road for 6 months over Winter; roll on 27th October when it gets back on the road. All this great weather we are having at the moment too!! Currently running in a new hip so can't do much anyway. :'(
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Sporticus

« Reply #976 on: September 01, 2013, 09:21:56 AM »
Hi:

New guy here

Name: Scott
Occupation: Frustrated lawyer wishing I could live forever because there are so many other occupations I want to try.
Bikes: 1975 850T, Harley shovelhead mutt, 1941 Harley WLD (also a mutt), 1965 Harley/Aermacchi M50, ghosts of many a project bike from the past.

I've owned a lot of old bikes. I was about 20 when I saw a kid on a LeMans I at the Larz Anderson museum European Motorcycle Day revving his bike. I began obsessing that day. The shovelhead is beginning to bore me after many years of modifying and fixing. I found a stone stock 850T for a good price. It belonged to an old guy who passed last year and the bike showed it (Wixom fairing, Bates bags, etc.). It hadn't run in a long, long time but wasn't hard to get going. I'm planning some mods to make it look like something closer to the LeMans in my memories, though I'm not going for an absolute replica.

I've got some electrical gremlins that are baffling me first to contend with. I'll be on here with a lot of tech questions, if you don't mind.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #977 on: September 01, 2013, 10:18:11 AM »
Do you have pictures of the "shovelhead mutt"?   I was just thinking last night that it might be fun to build up something like a 70's Superglide bobber, with some modern upgrades (like we do with any older bike) .....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

zojirushi

« Reply #978 on: September 01, 2013, 01:37:32 PM »
Hey Folks,

Just picked up a '10 V7 Classic.  I've owned many bikes, but they were all dual sports.  Which has me thinking she'd make a fine scrambler/street tracker   ~; 

Mistral exhaust is on the way along with the Ben's tail tidy, clubman bars, and some maintenance items.  Anyone use H&B side racks with a tail tidy?  I'm not sure it can be done, and it's hard to tell the mounting points on the pictures I've seen.  If not, I'll just have the fender and racks on stand by for touring.  I've been eyeing some TKC 80s too...

Look forward to learning from all you fine folks.  Cheers.

Aaron

A.K.

« Reply #979 on: September 01, 2013, 04:38:07 PM »
Hi All,

Name: Attila Kovacs

I'm in love. California 1400 black touring.

This Saturday went to Corsa Meccanica in Vaughan, ON to drool over one. George (the owner) is a very cool guy. He let me borrow his custom to take it out for a spin. Now I'm definitely in love. I need to get one. Soon(er then later).

Test rode the Kawasaki Vaquero 1700 a few weeks ago. 300cc more, but it seemed gutless compared to the California.

MotoGuzziNut

« Reply #980 on: September 04, 2013, 11:41:47 AM »
Hello everyone.

Name:  Mike Wimpy

My first Moto Guzzi Griso purchase (2012 Griso SE 8V) was short-lived. 

Purchased at the end of April (2013) and totaled on Mother's Day (5/12/13) - run over by a drunk driver on my first "walkabout" while traveling thru Arkansas on my way to Memphis.  Unfortunately, my Griso did not survive the wreck, but, fortunately, I am hear to tell the tale.

I was just cleared by my Neurologist a couple of weeks ago (severe concussion symptoms held on for about three months) to get on  with my life.

My "new" 09 Griso arrived at my front door this time last week.  As they say, I'm back in the saddle again.  Glad to be riding again and happy to be a part of this Guzzi site.

Cheers mates.

kiteguy

« Reply #981 on: September 05, 2013, 01:20:38 AM »
Dave from Huntington Beach, CA. Own a kite business on the pier. Just had my first Guzzi delivered from Kansas, a 2000 Jackal. Had it a day, love it. Has no luggage of any kind, would love a good tail bag recommendation or affordable saddlebag suggestion, not a throwover though. Thanks.
Dave

Offline Dean Rose

• Gaggle Hero
    • Twin Valley Riders
« Reply #982 on: September 05, 2013, 07:25:05 AM »
Dave from Huntington Beach, CA. Own a kite business on the pier. Just had my first Guzzi delivered from Kansas, a 2000 Jackal. Had it a day, love it. Has no luggage of any kind, would love a good tail bag recommendation or affordable saddlebag suggestion, not a throwover though. Thanks.
Dave

Welcome!

Your best bet for that bike is Hepco/Becker racks and bags.

http://www.motomachines.com/Junior_c_22.html

Dean
Magnolia '02 EV
Sophia '06 Breva 1100 
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

kiteguy

« Reply #983 on: September 07, 2013, 01:07:56 AM »
thank you Dean

Offline boscoman

• New Egg
« Reply #984 on: September 08, 2013, 11:25:27 AM »
Andrew
New Guzzi rider, Stelvio NTX
Paramedic
Leesburg, VA
Glad to be aboard.

spgott

« Reply #985 on: September 09, 2013, 12:36:29 PM »
I'm Steve.  I'm 47 and a work with reptiles at the zoo here in Jacksonville, Florida, though I am originally from Richmond, VA.

Picked up my 2007 California Vintage in January after wanting one for the last five years.  Started off in 2007 with a Honda Shadow Aero and moved up to the VTX 1300R but after seeing the Cal Vin in a magazine, I worked to pay off the Honda so I could get one.  It was the best looking bike I had ever seen.

Unfortunately, its spent more time in the shop than under me so I'll probably be posting some questions here.  
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 12:38:45 PM by spgott »

Key Lime Pie

« Reply #986 on: September 10, 2013, 10:04:07 AM »
Howdy,

JC
Telecom Hobo
Cherry Hill, NJ

New member here from South Jersey.  I have been living here in the shadows for a while and decided to join in.  After too many years in airports, hotels and rental cars I finally burned my suitcase and have an office.  So much more riding will commence.  I have a Tenni Griso that I will be enjoying a lot more.   Cheers. 

JC

vonhatch

« Reply #987 on: September 10, 2013, 11:30:21 AM »
    Here's my intro.   I'm steve hatcher, living in Florida, originally from michigan.  It's been a life of motorcycles starting with a honda s65 in 1965, and there have been many other bikes since.  Currently in the Guzzi family, I have two.  A rusty 73 El Dorado that is up and functioning, and also a 1972 v7 sport.  The v7 sport was a barn find...semi-disassembled, but almost complete. Low serial number and no u.s. vin tag.  VK1203x on both neck and motor. The hard to find parts are there, except for the mufflers, of course!  It was parked years ago with a broken shifter spring.  I got it home and fixed that, and now am going through the topend.  Havent decided about new cylinders yet.  There is no flaking, so it's a tough choice.
  Here's a pic of the Eldo......Glad to be here, and sure I'm going to need some tips along the way.....hatch

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #988 on: September 10, 2013, 08:45:15 PM »
Havent decided about new cylinders yet.  There is no flaking, so it's a tough choice.

Charlie M., vonhatch sounds like a nice guy and has a lovely bike.   PLEASE set him on the road to success about those chrome bores before something terrible happens .....   ;-T

Lannis (I'm not the expert but I know a bunch of them ... !)
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

vonhatch

« Reply #989 on: September 11, 2013, 07:15:27 AM »
Since both bikes are recent purchases, and both have orig cylinders, I cant decide which bike to get serious about first.  I want to ride the eldo, but the v7 sport excites me!!    Current wallet condition can do one bike at a time.  Both bikes need all that barn finds require, tires,cylinders.....etc etc.   Ive been in both motors, and no sign of any delamination in either.   How risky is it?

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here