Author Topic: EBAY BIDDING UTILITIES  (Read 10918 times)

Offline Spuddy

• Gaggle Hero
  • Best Thing About A Mind Is Being Able To Change It
EBAY BIDDING UTILITIES
« on: December 31, 2014, 03:41:52 PM »
Okay, I forgot [who hasn't?]

Which is/are the best applications/utilities to slam other bidders at the last few seconds of an auction?  Quick, hurry...

Spuddy
'13 Stelvio NTX
'07 California Vintage
'01 W650
'00 Quota 1100ES + Ural

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
Re: EBAY BIDDING UTILITIES
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 04:25:15 PM »
I use esnipe.com .
Charlie

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 06:08:54 PM »
Bidslammer
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore (Yep, two)

Offline Unkept

• Gaggle Hero
    • Unkept Uncaged- Youtube Channel
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 06:58:03 PM »
I've always liked JBid Watcher.
https://www.jbidwatcher.com/

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 06:58:03 PM »

Offline Rotten Ralph

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 08:35:53 PM »
I use "this is my maximum bid" and then stop watching. If someone wants it for more it's theirs! :BEER: :BEER:
Never trust a dog to guard your food

03 HD RK / TLE car
65 BMW R69S
60 BSA Gold Star
13 Moto Guzzi V7 Special

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 10:00:06 PM »
I've always liked JBid Watcher.
https://www.jbidwatcher.com/

Me too.  I've been using that for many years.  It's free and available for Linux, Mac, and Windows.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline jetmechmarty

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2014, 10:05:09 PM »
I've been using Bidnapper for several years.  It never fails me.  It's a good tool.
Marty (in Mississippi)
No Guzzi right now

tusong200

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2015, 08:13:03 AM »
 :+1  esnipe.

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2015, 08:17:30 AM »
auctionsniper.com

I tried a couple different programs that run on your own PC, but, got tired of missing out on bids because my crappy Verizon DSL connection (this was a while ago) was down.   Auction sniper has been reliable, and the fees are low enough that I'm willing to pay them.
You only pay a fee if you win.
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2015, 11:32:46 AM »
I use "this is my maximum bid" and then stop watching. If someone wants it for more it's theirs! :BEER: :BEER:

Same here.  eBay can bid just as fast for you as any of the add-on programs.

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Scott DeRoss

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2015, 11:46:49 AM »
I feel the same way!  ;-T
2007 Vintage (Vinnie)
2017 V9 Roamer (Sunny)
1-76 & 3-78 Robins
1975 Honda CT90
1979 Beneli G2 moped
75 850t wifes (Plum Crazy)
79 Honda Ct70 (restored)
MGNOC L-661
Never take life so serious you won't get out of it alive

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2015, 11:49:43 AM »
Same here.  eBay can bid just as fast for you as any of the add-on programs.

Lannis

The trouble is that there will always be bidders that see another person's bid and top it, even though they had previously bid their "maximum".  I learned this the hard way the first time I used eBay.  Bidding 5 seconds before the end eliminates that effect.  If you bid earlier than 5 or 10 seconds from the end, there's a pretty high probability that you'll pay more if you still win.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2015, 12:19:22 PM »
 If you bid earlier than 5 or 10 seconds from the end, there's a pretty high probability that you'll pay more if you still win.

That's why I used the word "Maximum".   I don't want to "still win".   I want to get the part for my price.   If they other guy wants it more than I do, I'm ecstatic if he gets it .....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2015, 12:24:09 PM »
I think I probably worded that clumsily.  What I meant was that if you bid more than about 10 seconds before the end and win, the chances are good that you will pay more (closer to your maximum bid) than if you wait.

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2015, 12:39:30 PM »
I think I probably worded that clumsily.  What I meant was that if you bid more than about 10 seconds before the end and win, the chances are good that you will pay more (closer to your maximum bid) than if you wait.

I really don't believe that.

Sniping only works if your final bid with the sniping software is set high enough to beat other snipers.

If you have a price in your head that you are willing to pay, then just put in a proxy bid and fugetaboutit.

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2015, 01:28:53 PM »

I tend to agree with you Jim but isn't the deal breaker come when other people are using Ebay's bidding system? When other people are using eBay bidding it neutralizes using the 3rd party software... or am I just confused? It seems that when I watch items that there are obviously a couple of people using ebay's automatic bid. You can tell by looking at how the bidding proceeds. The one advantage I see in the 3rd party software is they have high speed computers with high speed connections so they can make a bid a 2 seconds and count on getting it there in time.
Red 90 Mille GT

Offline PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2015, 01:47:22 PM »
I have never used a proxy. Its easy to get a bid in within 2 seconds or better especially now that eBay has a real time clock running. The only time you might need a proxy is if you won't be close to a computer when the auction ends.

Pete

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2015, 02:29:29 PM »
I have never used a proxy. Its easy to get a bid in within 2 seconds or better especially now that eBay has a real time clock running. The only time you might need a proxy is if you won't be close to a computer when the auction ends.

Pete

This.

My auction game plan is to decide how much I want to pay and try to enter the bid with 2sec or less remaining.  If it's not a high enough bid, I couldn't afford the item (and the winner got the price bumped up).  If it is the high bid then nobody has time to react to it.  Either way it's like having a single bullet -- hit or miss, you get the one shot, only.

Another detail I look for is when the auction ends.  I get stuff for lower bids when the auction ends 5:AM NY time.  Auctions that close during business hours on a weekday are often crazy high.

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2015, 02:48:36 PM »
Sniping only works if your final bid with the sniping software is set high enough to beat other snipers.

Correct.  If I set my snipe to be the maximum I'm willing to pay, and that's higher than everyone else's maximum, I'll win.  But if I bid and let eBay's proxy bidding do the work, it's entirely likely that:

1.  Someone will raise his maximum when he sees my bid, possibly repeating until he beats my bid, or
2.  Someone will raise his maximum bid when he sees my bid, but not repeating until he beats my bid, allowing me to win, but causing my proxy bidding to be raised.

The only way I can pick a maximum amount I'm willing to spend and count on that number not getting other bidders excited so they raise their bids is to snipe.  
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 07:55:34 PM by Triple Jim »

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2015, 04:48:09 PM »

Another detail I look for is when the auction ends.  I get stuff for lower bids when the auction ends 5:AM NY time.  Auctions that close during business hours on a weekday are often crazy high.

When I used to sell stuff, I'd start the auction in the evening.  6pm, 7pm, 8pm.  That way, I knew a lot of potential bidders would be home and available to bid when the auction was ending a few nights later. I also liked to end auctions on Sunday evenings.  There always seemed to be a lot of activity on Sunday evenings.

I agree that bidding on items with odd end times makes them easier to buy cheaper.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

dilligaf

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2015, 07:29:42 AM »
Hmm , don't think *competitive Ebay bidding* will ever be an Olympic sport  ;D

Dusty

I don't know Dusty. When you can attach a rag on the end of a stick and wave it around to win an gold some sort of competitive bidding can't be far behind.   ::)  :BEER:
Matt

oldbike54

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2015, 10:38:33 AM »
I don't know Dusty. When you can attach a rag on the end of a stick and wave it around to win an gold some sort of competitive bidding can't be far behind.   ::)  :BEER:
Matt

:D :D :D :D :D

Took me a second to figure that out , but yeah , you may be right Matt  ;D

Dusty

Offline jetmechmarty

• Gosling
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2015, 01:23:21 PM »
As a seller, I have never been jerked around by anyone using a sniper.  I like it on both sides.  Set it and forget it.  Bidnapper lets me bid several auctions.  Say I want to buy a widget and I don't want to pay over $10.  I sit down and find 16 sellers with auctions for widgets.  I put several of them into the Bidnapper program with a $10 bid.  It automatically moves from one auction to the next until I win, then it automatically stops and sends me an email to check in and pay.  I like it!  I won't get involved in an auction without it.
Marty (in Mississippi)
No Guzzi right now

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2015, 02:20:08 PM »
I "buy it now" far more  than I bid on ebay.  Many items are I buy are not auction items. What I find interesting is that many ebay stores also have internet stores. And they often charge more for the same product in their internet store than on the ebay store. I think competition on the ebay drives the prices down. You have to look carefully to not get a bogus product but I find a lot of new name brand products far cheaper than retail on ebay. I have returned a couple of items but I have only been burned once.
Red 90 Mille GT

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2015, 02:46:33 PM »
I "buy it now" far more  than I bid on ebay.  Many items are I buy are not auction items. What I find interesting is that many ebay stores also have internet stores. And they often charge more for the same product in their internet store than on the ebay store. I think competition on the ebay drives the prices down. You have to look carefully to not get a bogus product but I find a lot of new name brand products far cheaper than retail on ebay. I have returned a couple of items but I have only been burned once.

As a counterpoint: 

I paid $135 for an item online yesterday from a retailer's website for $30 less than anyone had them advertised on Ebay.   

Free shipping for orders over $99 from the retailer.  The Ebayers were charging for shipping.

It pays to search around.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2015, 06:40:59 PM »
As a counterpoint:  

I paid $135 for an item online yesterday from a retailer's website for $30 less than anyone had them advertised on Ebay.  

Free shipping for orders over $99 from the retailer.  The Ebayers were charging for shipping.

It pays to search around.

;-T I would not say you are counterpointing me. You point out the obvious. If I was not clearer I should have been. I carefully research ebay and other online resources. I would be foolish to only search in ebay and not online also. That said, I find at the end of the year when I look at all online purchases that are available both on ebay and other online sources I find more of my purchases are made on ebay and all other online sources put together. I do not count items that cannot be found on ebay nor items that are on ebay but not available from other online providers.  
I am addicted to Tiny but Mighty Popcorn. :pop :pop :pop Now ebay sellers are $47 for a 6 pack shipping included. Go to Tiny But Mighty and they are selling the same six pack shipping included for $29. These ebay sellers are buying it probably online and then just reselling it with $20 market up. What they are probably doing is buying the 12 pack for $54 which is even cheaper and re-boxing it. Which makes their mark up of 85%.
3 days ago I got a genuine new in box Apple battery that goes retail for $120. I paid with shipping $60 from a US supplier. My Mac recognized it as an Apple product with a one cycle count. I put it through a max stress test streaming video until the computer shut itself off @ 11%. I kept checking the battery every 15  minutes.  It battery held up to my expectations and recharged back to max capacity with 2 count cycle in 2 hours on an 6 year old computer. and I got a year warranty from a company with 10,000 sells and 99% rating.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 07:12:29 PM by redrider90 »
Red 90 Mille GT

Offline donn

• Gaggle Hero
  • The thing is, I do want a pickle.
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2015, 09:18:08 PM »
The only time you might need a proxy is if you won't be close to a computer when the auction ends.

That's when I signed up with one -- justsniper.com, free, worked without any trouble the few times I've used it.  Have to work, have to be somewhere, don't want to run away in the middle of dinner, just don't want to have to remember - they'll take care of it.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here