Author Topic: Stornello V7 II Rear Brake Performance  (Read 531 times)

Offline tntut1

• 2016 Stornello
  • New Egg
  • 2016 Stornello
Stornello V7 II Rear Brake Performance
« on: May 28, 2022, 11:44:19 AM »
Hello fellow MG owners/riders,

I have a 2016 V7 II Stornello that has been a joy to ride.  I've not made any engine modifications, and have only added a bash plate along with a headlight rock guard and some red MG stickers to the rims.  I do feel a Beetle Fuel Map in the near future.  All that said, the bike does need improved rear braking performance.  The specs claim it comes with a 260mm Brembo 2-piston floating caliper w/ABS.  But it really requires using the front brake as well along with some downshifting in order to stop as it should.  Is the ABS limiting the rear brake system?  Has anyone made any discoveries that improves the rear brake performance?   

Many thanks for any suggestions you can provide.   

Online Sykestone8886

• Gosling
Re: Stornello V7 II Rear Brake Performance
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2022, 09:45:12 PM »
Mine seems to stop just fine, but I use combinatin of front and rear, hows the pads ?
54HDFL  73HDFLH. 85HDFLT. 73suzukiTS 250 76hHONDA cb360

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2022, 12:07:10 AM »
The ABS could well be limiting the rear, its quite easy to lock up the rear wheel, it will never slow you down like the front will because the weight transfers forward under braking. Even in the wet the front is hard to lock up.
The rear pads are quite a bit smaller and don't last long, I just purchased a second set at 20,000 km.
Keep a close eye on the rear pads, its easy to let them get too thin and score the disk. The rear disk is quite a bit smaller than the front so there again it doesn't have the stopping power.
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Online Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2022, 08:15:51 AM »
Hello fellow MG owners/riders,

I have a 2016 V7 II Stornello that has been a joy to ride.  I've not made any engine modifications, and have only added a bash plate along with a headlight rock guard and some red MG stickers to the rims.  I do feel a Beetle Fuel Map in the near future.  All that said, the bike does need improved rear braking performance.  The specs claim it comes with a 260mm Brembo 2-piston floating caliper w/ABS.  But it really requires using the front brake as well along with some downshifting in order to stop as it should.  Is the ABS limiting the rear brake system?  Has anyone made any discoveries that improves the rear brake performance?   

Many thanks for any suggestions you can provide.

80% of your brake power is to the front, with 20% rear. You have it reversed. You should be braking with your FRONT primarily, and using the rear to balance and augment braking. Braking the way you are, you will either lock up the rear brake and crash (without ABS) or the ABS will kick in and you will have longer stopping distances. Either way, your braking will be more dangerous and will suck. Brake with your FRONT brake primarily and bring in the rear as a balance.

EBC HH sintered pads are a good improvement over OEM.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2022, 08:26:55 AM by Bulldog9 »
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2022, 08:15:51 AM »

Offline mechanicsavant

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2022, 10:54:22 AM »
What Bulldog said about brake pads , front & rear IMHO & regular cleaning . I take them out & clean pads & rotors every oil change . It takes a few miles to re-seat then just fine

Offline tntut1

• 2016 Stornello
  • New Egg
  • 2016 Stornello
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2022, 12:24:30 PM »
Thanks for the feedback which all makes good sense.  I will certainly keep an eye on the rear brake pads and I typically do use both brakes.  The bike only has 2400 original miles on her and had only 1200 miles when i purchased her second hand at a dealership last year.  Given the low miles the rear brake pads should still be acceptable, and there have been no signs of the rear rotor being marked by brake activity.  This is my first MG, so I wondered if there was something quirky going on with the rear brake assembly.  Full disclosure I am currently waiting for a replacement brake pedal toe piece to arrive from AF1, as the original fell off two days ago on a short ride.  I can see that the ABS can be turned off, but I have not done so.

I have owned four other street bikes of Japanese and American design and manufacture, and all of them had considerably better rear braking.  That said, none had ABS, and I wouldn't trade the Stornello for any of them as I prefer back road and mountain pass riding.  Plus the MG is such a cool design.

Please do pass along any additional advice or direction any can give as to potential improvement of the rear braking performance.               

Offline Brand X

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2022, 12:38:47 PM »
 Change out the Brake fluid/Bleed. I use Dot 5.1,but Dot 4 is also correct.I notice the Brembo's on the V-7 is not quite the feel of Top spec stuff..  It's pretty well matched for the tires that come on them though..Shoot, the lower spec Bybre on my small KTM has a much better brake feel then the Stornello. You can turn the rear ABS,and full ABS off on my model, for even better feel. It really good with it on too.. I have zero issues with  the rear brake on the Guzzi.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2022, 12:41:12 PM by Brand X »

Offline Off @ 90

• Heron Head Heretic.
  • New Egg
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2022, 11:28:05 PM »
The ABS cannot be turned off on V7 MkII  only the TC via the starter switch. I have no complaints with brakes on Stornello they work fine for me.
Duncan

Online Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2022, 08:19:06 AM »
Thanks for the feedback which all makes good sense.  I will certainly keep an eye on the rear brake pads and I typically do use both brakes.  The bike only has 2400 original miles on her and had only 1200 miles when i purchased her second hand at a dealership last year.  Given the low miles the rear brake pads should still be acceptable, and there have been no signs of the rear rotor being marked by brake activity.  This is my first MG, so I wondered if there was something quirky going on with the rear brake assembly.  Full disclosure I am currently waiting for a replacement brake pedal toe piece to arrive from AF1, as the original fell off two days ago on a short ride.  I can see that the ABS can be turned off, but I have not done so.

I have owned four other street bikes of Japanese and American design and manufacture, and all of them had considerably better rear braking.  That said, none had ABS, and I wouldn't trade the Stornello for any of them as I prefer back road and mountain pass riding.  Plus the MG is such a cool design.

Please do pass along any additional advice or direction any can give as to potential improvement of the rear braking performance.               

EBC HH pads will give more bite.  I have them on the front, but stock pads rear as they are fine as is. You could bleed and swap fluid, but I'd think that is to minimal effect.

Otherwise than pulling the fuse which will have other impacts, you can not turn off the ABS, only the Traction Control.

Your best bet is to primarily brake with your front brake as designed. The ONLY time I brake more with the rear is at parkinglot speeds or ligh trail braking in twisties at speed.
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline Brand X

• Gosling
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2022, 11:07:38 AM »
I was talking ABS on my 2017 KTM.. Much more Scrambler setup on software..The Traction control on the Stornello is a waste of time overall,and would be better to leave it out of the software completel. Then have the switchable ABS instead.

Online Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2022, 11:18:31 AM »
What Bulldog said. Right on the mark.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here