Author Topic: How do I get my shock back on? 2015 V7 Stone  (Read 1981 times)

Offline XTN

• New Egg
How do I get my shock back on? 2015 V7 Stone
« on: June 14, 2015, 08:32:32 PM »
Locked my helmet to my shock, broke the key in the lock. Took the shock off to get the lock off.

Now how do I get the shock back on? It certainly didn't help uncompressing the spring (I screwed the lower ring out to, in theory, back the spring out a little). Didn't help.  It's the height of the shock preventing me from popping it back in place. I THINK if I compress the spring that might help, but I don't know if it'll help me with the shock height. 

If I could just shorten the whole thing a bit. Or pull up on the frame. Or lower the wheel.

I have a basic idea that the tension on the spring controls the down absorption and the shock prevents it from bouncing around. Tighten up the spring, get a harder ride. What does the top ring do other than look pretty? What am I missing?

Thank you in advance.

XTN

Pic related.

This space intentionally left bleak.

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
Re: How do I get my shock back on? 2015 V7 Stone
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 08:37:57 PM »
Does the bike have a center stand?  You need to get the weight off the rear wheel.
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline lorazepam

• Gosling
  • Almost ready for suspenders
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 08:38:21 PM »
Have a friend help, and put a jack under the bike and jack it up so the rear wheel is off the ground. See if you can get it back on that way, sometimes it is enough to get a shock back on again.

oldbike54

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 08:39:49 PM »
Does the bike have a center stand?  You need to get the weight off the rear wheel.
[/quote

:1:  Maybe even raise the bike up a bit with a jack .

Dusty

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 08:39:49 PM »

biking sailor

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2015, 09:33:36 PM »
Compressing the spring with zip ties can help also.

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 04:38:45 AM »
Have a friend help, and put a jack under the bike and jack it up so the rear wheel is off the ground. See if you can get it back on that way, sometimes it is enough to get a shock back on again.

:1:  Get a couple of lads to pick the backend up off the ground.
2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2015, 05:16:59 AM »
Yes, the spring is keeping the shock extended. Without spring pressure it is easier to compress and install.

But people are giving you the best advice, it's easier still to raise the bike, allowing the rear wheel to drop/extend and just install the shock then.

If you're worried about the jack, run some bike tie-down straps (nylon pull or ratcheting straps) to some anchors either from the front end to the ground or the frame/back end to eye hooks in a ceiling beam.

I've even seen someone construct a self-supporting stand to hang the bike from using metal pipe from Lowes/hardware store.

Lots of options.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2015, 06:39:30 AM »
Screwing the collar down against the spring won't change the distance between the upper and lower shock mounts.  All you are doing is changing how much that distance resists changing.  This is called preload and it is there to compensate for the combination of your weight and that of the bike.  The idea is that you want the suspension to compress just a bit when  you sit on the bike...not much, just a little so you still have the full range of motion at the rear wheel.  The shock is there to dampen that up and down motion.  I'm pretty sure that even if you back off that collar completely you won't be able to compress the shock enough to do any good.

Back to your problem, your solution is to take weight off the suspension so it is fully extended.  Others have offered good suggestions...a jack under the sump, friends lifting the ass end of the bike, suspend the bike from rafters, etc.  With the weight off this becomes a very easy job.  Been there a few times on my V7.

Peter Y.

Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here