Author Topic: Rode a Fat Boy - NGC  (Read 2277 times)

Offline Xlratr

• Gaggle Mentor
  • (ex) Stelvio NTX, '78 Honda 750F2, '97 FXDWG
Rode a Fat Boy - NGC
« on: September 13, 2015, 09:40:11 AM »
A new Harley Davidson dealership has opened this weekend, very close to where I live, so I hopped on the T3 and rode over to have a look what was going on. They had good food and good music! Plus they were giving test rides on the new models, so I took out a Fat Boy for half an hour.

Several years ago I had a Sportster, the 883R with a 1200 screaming eagle conversion. That motor was great, although not the low revving big V Twin feeling I had initially expected. I sold the bike for several reasons, but basically it (and the scene) wasn't really me. But anyway, I was really interested to see how the new Fat Boy would compare to my old 883/1200, and how it feels compared to the Guzzi 8v "big twin".

My first impression was that the build quality is really good. Seating very comfortable, although I was leaning a bit too far back. Started it up, and was amazed how quiet it was. I mean really, I could hardly hear it! Put it into gear and rolled out, shifting at low revs. Very nice low end pull. Got it on the open road and opened it up a bit and then....... nothing! A massive hole in the power curve! Or maybe I'm just too used to the Stelvio? Anyway, I was completely underwhelmed!

I think the problem is the European specification. Silencers, emissions, noise, it's all getting stricter. I'm sure there is a lot of potential in the motor (my Sportster went like a scalded cat!), but these days, off the showroom floor, you'd need to invest a another €1500 to get it there.

Yep, the days of the air cooled engine are limited!!

John
John

I ain't too young to realize, that I ain't too old to try ...

Lcarlson

Re: Rode a Fat Boy - NGC
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 10:14:04 AM »
Harleys have seriously long-stroke, undersquare engines, so their performance is pretty much dependent on low-end torque. There isn't much point in reving them. That said, riden as they are designed to be ridden (short shifted), they can be pretty satisfying; there's a reason they own the American heartland and mountain west.

On a personal note, I rode a rented Road King for week in Utah this June and enjoyed it immensely. In fact, it rekindled my decision to add a cruiser to the (now smaller) fleet. I didn't go with H-D, but you can ride a Cali 1400 like a Harley if you want to.

Offline Groover

• Gaggle Hero
  • If it ain't broke, I'll break it.
    • Scooteropolis
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 11:02:48 AM »
Had an '03 fat boy in 04/05. Much prefer the feel, sound, etc of my 81 G5. I too though the fat boy with a 1400cc engine would've been a beast, but I'm pretty sure my v1000 runs much stronger and better overall. On the fat boy, I went through 3 seats and 3 different handlebar setups and I could just never get the riding position comfortable for me. Plus 2-up riding was ridiculously odd for me being the way the seat was staggered. Long story short, in the future I would consider an HD road king maybe if I ever decided to do some sort of cross country type trip, but then again, looked at a 2015 gold wing and that thing is very cool.
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, a
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, b
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped
http://scooteropolis.com/

Online Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 11:15:40 AM »
Have to agree on the oem stuff on a stock HD engine detuning the400 performance.  An oem Cali 1400 moves.  Sorry to hear that doesn't apply to a Fat Boy.  I like the Road King better.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 11:15:40 AM »

Offline Xlratr

• Gaggle Mentor
  • (ex) Stelvio NTX, '78 Honda 750F2, '97 FXDWG
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2015, 11:41:52 AM »
Harleys have seriously long-stroke, undersquare engines, so their performance is pretty much dependent on low-end torque. There isn't much point in reving them.

I get that, and I know it isn't a sports bike. But I'm not talking about reving it hard. At around half throttle it just fell into a hole! Nothing there! I don't think this means the motor doesn't have potential, it's more like the noise and emissions regs have made it in standard (European) 2015 trim very unsatisfying.
John
John

I ain't too young to realize, that I ain't too old to try ...

Offline oldmxdog61u

• Gaggle Mentor
  • enjoy life...
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2015, 01:00:07 PM »
Its all good. Anything that puts you in the wind.
That said, my wife prefers my old fx to my bagger. Go figure.
Enjoy life!
1985 lemans 1000 (gone)
1996 Sport 1100 (gone)
2007 norge (ahhhhh)
1984 yz250 (gone to museum)
1977 Cr125m Elsinore (sold)
1973 HD FX (back to my bro)
1974 Eldorado (grace)

Lcarlson

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2015, 01:51:01 PM »
European OEM specs may well strangle the Big Twins. I know that the stock exhaust on my (US) rented Road King was not all that quiet, and sounded good....

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here