Author Topic: T3 Inspection frustration  (Read 10235 times)

Offline Xlratr

• Gaggle Mentor
  • (ex) Stelvio NTX, '78 Honda 750F2, '97 FXDWG
T3 Inspection frustration
« on: October 26, 2015, 02:28:27 PM »
Every two years you need to have your vehicle inspected here in Germany. Now my T3 is mechanically fine, but it isn't very pretty, and it has got a bit modified over the years. Today I went to the local inspection place at the appointed time, and as always I felt a little bit concerned that they might find something they wouldn't like (I think the look of my bike is a provocation to German testers!)

But it was worse than I thought. They failed it on not having a blue high beam control light (easy to fix), not having the original air filter set up (it has 2 k&n filters and nothing else, so a massive pain to fix), and on not having an automatic side stand retraction (it has the long California stand). They didn't like the exhausts either!

This will all take time and some money to fix and I've already realised that some airbox assembly parts are hard to come by. (@ Curtis Harper - you got an order from me today :-)

All in all, a frustrating day. But as they say, "a problem shared ...."

John

« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 02:34:18 PM by Xlratr »
John

I ain't too young to realize, that I ain't too old to try ...

Offline dl.allen

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: T3 Inspection frustration
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 02:40:01 PM »
sounds like a cool bike post up some pics!

Offline Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 02:45:08 PM »
In Germany do bikes have to be "as equipped" when new or retro fitted to a standard?
I don't know that T3s had self retracting stands. At least on this side of the pond.
1990 Cal III f/f  "Il Duce' III"
1987 1000 SPII "Il Duce' II"

Offline Xlratr

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 02:56:21 PM »
 :wink:

Not really, and certainly not compared to some of the beautiful old Guzzis I've seen on here! But it goes well. I'll take a pic tomorrow and post it.
John
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 06:45:10 AM by Xlratr »
John

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 02:56:21 PM »

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 03:00:59 PM »
Sounds like they want to older stuff off the road.

Thank goodness in Pennsylvania anything over 30 years old you can opt for an "antique" tag. It requires a 1 time fee of around $100 and then the bike is exempt form the annual $18 registration fees an annual state inspection.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Xlratr

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 03:10:06 PM »
In Germany do bikes have to be "as equipped" when new or retro fitted to a standard?
I don't know that T3s had self retracting stands. At least on this side of the pond.

Not necessarily "as equipped" but they have to fulfill the norms for the year. Most aftermarket parts need to be either recorded on the vehicle documents or have a certification for use on that vehicle supplied by the accessory manufacturer. The problem with the side stand is that it is not original. It's from a t3  California, probably 1975, without any "safety" mechanism. Unfortunately my t3 has a registration date of 1981, because although it's older than that, it was imported from Italy in that year. Bikes registered after 1976, need a self retracting stand, so it's a mess! :-(

Somehow it was ok for the last 34 years, but now it's not!

John

John

Offline Xlratr

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2015, 03:12:17 PM »

Thank goodness in Pennsylvania anything over 30 years old you can opt for an "antique" tag. It requires a 1 time fee of around $100 and then the bike is exempt form the annual $18 registration fees an annual state inspection.

Sounds wonderful!
John

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2015, 04:02:14 PM »
I have most of an original airbox that I'll give you, just pay the shipping.
Charlie

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2015, 04:07:53 PM »

In Maryland, it's called a "Historic" tag and anything 20+ years old is eligible, $51 for tags for 2 years, no inspection ever.
Charlie

Offline Xlratr

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2015, 04:12:14 PM »
I have most of an original airbox that I'll give you, just pay the shipping.

Thanks Charlie, that's very kind. Actually I spent all afternoon googling part numbers and I think I managed to order them all already. If something falls through or ends up being out of stock, I'll get back to you on your offer. Thanks again!
John
John

Offline eldoroddo

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2015, 05:57:14 PM »
Tell them it's an ex cop bike and those mods were for performance and rider safety :thumb: :police:

Offline Xlratr

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2015, 05:52:56 AM »

I promised a pic, so here you go. A bit rough, but like I said, she runs well. Please don't flame me for the taped headers! :-)

The observant ones will notice the "micro switch" added to the side stand. I wired that into the starter relay ground, so it won't start with the side stand down. I didn't want it linked to the ignition. Of course I could put the side stand down after starting and ride off, but I hope this satisfies the inspectors.

Next step is to remove those ugly k&n filters and then fill that hole in the frame with a nice original airbox! (Sarcasm!). Oh yeah, the mirror is too small. Forgot that. Need to go shopping for a nice big mirror! (More sarcasm!).

Think I'll move to Pennsylvania!

John

John

Offline mjptexas

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2015, 06:43:16 AM »
I guess The German definition of 'rough' is a bit more critical than the American definition.  I like it! (except for the wrapped pipes  :grin:)
Mike

'18 R Nine T Urban GS
'17 Griso
'16 XL1200 Roadster
'15 Monster 821
'14 Cali Custom
'14 Vespa GTS300 Super
'15 Vespa Primavera
'75 CB400F
'76 CB550F

Offline ed.bremner

• New Egg
  • 850T3 California Rosso
    • BremWeb Imaging
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2015, 06:47:49 AM »
Every now and again you can bump into this kind of thing when getting your 'MOT' Test in the UK....

Sometimes, the most pragmatic answer is simply to take the bike somewhere else for the test.

For what it worth, my T3 would also fail on most of those 'issues' .

eib

Moto-Guzzi 850T3 California 77
Turned Red in 87
Both me and the bike knackered but still rolling...
Montesa Cota 247

Offline Xlratr

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2015, 06:57:36 AM »
Every now and again you can bump into this kind of thing when getting your 'MOT' Test in the UK....

Sometimes, the most pragmatic answer is simply to take the bike somewhere else for the test.

For what it worth, my T3 would also fail on most of those 'issues' .

eib

That's exactly what I did. The list of fail items at the second place was longer! :-(
In Germany there are vehicle inspection centres that do nothing else, unlike the U.K. where garages can do an MOT. So there aren't many to choose from.
John
John

Offline Xlratr

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2015, 07:00:06 AM »
I guess The German definition of 'rough' is a bit more critical than the American definition.  I like it! (except for the wrapped pipes  :grin:)

Well thanks, but really, I've seen some gorgeous bikes on here, especially some loops. Compared to those, this is rough. But I still like her. :-) (pictures sometimes look better than the reality!)
John
John

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2015, 08:02:31 AM »
  It is how they get you to buy a new Bum W.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2015, 08:12:22 AM »

Think I'll move to Pennsylvania!

John

That's been one solution that's been in place for 250 years or so, including the Weimers, Klines, and Selz families that were my precursors .... !

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2015, 08:19:42 AM »
I do like your T3.  And I understand your problems.  Germany has always been a bit 'tight' in regulations, but, with unlimited speeds on the autobahns I sometimes appreciated it.  And, we who were stationed there could get some really good deals on cars that would not pass the inspection test, but, were fine for in the states :)

Unless the air filter is an emissions thing, I don't understand that part failing the inspection.

Hope it gets back in shape ok.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2015, 08:34:20 AM »
Sounds like a bit of "retrospective" legislation which you'd think was unworkable

Anyway, how the hell would he know what was or wasn't on the bike in the 70s which is all you could reasonably expect to be on it now.

2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2015, 08:35:08 AM »
I do like your T3.  And I understand your problems.  Germany has always been a bit 'tight' in regulations, but, with unlimited speeds on the autobahns I sometimes appreciated it.  And, we who were stationed there could get some really good deals on cars that would not pass the inspection test, but, were fine for in the states :)

Unless the air filter is an emissions thing, I don't understand that part failing the inspection.

Hope it gets back in shape ok.

As I pull into my inspection garage, I flash my high-beam, beep my horn, and by that time they've already got the sticker peeled off out of their little book and finishing the paperwork.  They'll make sure the brake light comes on (one brake or two, they don't care) and that there's no cord showing on the tires, and we're done.

Air filters?   Mirror size?   SIDESTAND SPRING ffs?    They don't even look to see if it has a sidestand.

Even the State has come to realize that a vanishingly small fraction of injuries and fatalities on the road are a result of non-functioning equipment, and I think we're headed to no inspection at all in Virginia before long ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2015, 09:09:39 AM »
As I pull into my inspection garage, I flash my high-beam, beep my horn, and by that time they've already got the sticker peeled off out of their little book and finishing the paperwork.  They'll make sure the brake light comes on (one brake or two, they don't care) and that there's no cord showing on the tires, and we're done.

Air filters?   Mirror size?   SIDESTAND SPRING ffs?    They don't even look to see if it has a sidestand.

Even the State has come to realize that a vanishingly small fraction of injuries and fatalities on the road are a result of non-functioning equipment, and I think we're headed to no inspection at all in Virginia before long ....

Lannis

PA has a long laundry list of things that are supposed to be done for a state inspection process including a test ride. For the $20 to $40 (State gets around $5 of that or the sticker) most shops charge it it a loosing proposition to follow the list to a tee. Most do like the shop you go too..... Beep, blink, brake light, tires look okay, brake pads have a bit of mater left on them....slap on a sticker.

2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2015, 11:37:11 AM »
Heck, you guys need to move out here.  There is no safety inspection.  When I registered mine they looked at the frame serial number to make sure it matched the title.  That's it.

PS when I was in NY the inspection depended on the shop.  The dealers would flunk you for just about anything, hoping that you would tell them to just fix it, thus getting them more business.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 11:38:56 AM by charlie b »
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Online normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2015, 02:34:50 PM »
NICE BIKE !

I like it, [Xlratr].
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2015, 07:24:48 PM »
PA has a long laundry list of things that are supposed to be done for a state inspection process including a test ride. For the $20 to $40 (State gets around $5 of that or the sticker) most shops charge it it a loosing proposition to follow the list to a tee. Most do like the shop you go too..... Beep, blink, brake light, tires look okay, brake pads have a bit of mater left on them....slap on a sticker.

This county of NC is even more so... no emissions inspection for any vehicle, and the safety inspection fee is $14.  I just watched the inspector who did my Mille check all the boxes without even looking at the bike.  He told me that he knows me well enough to know I wouldn't ride a motorcycle that didn't have all its parts working properly.  I had to appreciate that.   :grin:
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline Xlratr

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2015, 08:25:07 AM »
I got the "approved" mirror mounted, and the side stand switch is installed. The inspector didn't like my "modified" Lafranconis (there wasn't much left inside them), so I got a pair of Mistral silencers in stainless steel. I have to say, they're very nicely made, and they sound wonderful!!! And I have a piece of paper with a number on it that says they're ok!
Next step airbox, when the parts arrive.
John

John

Offline O

• Gosling
  • Don't force it, get a bigger hammer.
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2015, 09:57:36 PM »
I know it's moot since you're already in the process of the 'upgrades' but for discussion's sake, what are the ramifications of simply not getting the bike inspected in Deutschland?
Owen

2014 V7 Special

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2015, 10:14:19 PM »
I like it. I thought those self-retracting sidestands were dangerous.

Interesting front fender, and you can get away with only one mirror and those tiny turn signals ( can't even see any in the back)?

Rich A

Vasco DG

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2015, 10:47:01 PM »
John, I too have a shitload of old Tonti stuff hanging about in the 'Mountain of Munt' I cam probably even dig out a side stand if you have problems. Let me know if I can help.

Pete

canuguzzi

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2015, 10:50:51 PM »
Perhaps you can leave everything as is and put a temporary sticker on the tank that says "BMW" , bet they let it fly through.

If that doesn't work, try one that has a big "VW" on it. One of those should get you a pass.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here