Author Topic: Stelvio steering head bearings  (Read 1383 times)

Offline Xlratr

• Gaggle Mentor
  • (ex) Stelvio NTX, '78 Honda 750F2, '97 FXDWG
Stelvio steering head bearings
« on: March 19, 2016, 12:10:37 PM »
Last November I took off the swing arm on the Stelvio to grease the bearings. They were really quite dry at 22tkm and I was glad I did it. I thought it might me a good idea to check the steering head bearings and grease those too so I did that this morning. But it wasn't actually all that bad, at least better than the swing arm was. Seems they have a different guy at the factory doing the front!  :laugh:
This is what it looked like before I applied some more grease.

John

I ain't too young to realize, that I ain't too old to try ...

pete roper

Re: Stelvio steering head bearings
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 01:05:23 PM »
That is generally what I've found too. I went in and did my steering head bearings at 50,000kms and they were, surprisingly, OK. They benefitted from some extra but both balls and races were fine. When they do eventually fail the sniff test I'll go to tapered rollers but at close to 100,000km they seem to be holding up fine.

Pete

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2016, 04:30:51 PM »
Last November I took off the swing arm on the Stelvio to grease the bearings. They were really quite dry at 22tkm and I was glad I did it. I thought it might me a good idea to check the steering head bearings and grease those too so I did that this morning. But it wasn't actually all that bad, at least better than the swing arm was. Seems they have a different guy at the factory doing the front!  :laugh:
This is what it looked like before I applied some more grease.

Thanks, John.

Looks good.

Your experience gives me additional latitude to maintain my self-imposed optimism about this issue! I've dreaded the job of checking by head bearings on the Stelvio.

Offline Xlratr

• Gaggle Mentor
  • (ex) Stelvio NTX, '78 Honda 750F2, '97 FXDWG
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2016, 04:50:38 PM »
Thanks David. That's why I posted it, because I was also concerned about them and it turned out they were fine. But the job itself was really straight forward. I think 30 minutes after starting I was putting grease on the bearings and getting ready to put it back together. I was surprised how little time it took.
I found it helpful to tie a rope around the mirrors and over a hook in the roof, so when I undid the handlebars I just raised them on a slip knot and they were out of the way. You will also need a special tool for the castleated nut.
John

I ain't too young to realize, that I ain't too old to try ...

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2016, 04:50:38 PM »

canuck750

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2016, 09:41:28 PM »
I had no idea Guzzi was using ball and races for steering heads, I would  have tough that tapered rolling bearings would have been the norm by now. Is there any benefit to use ball bearings rather than tapered bearings?

Online bmc5733946

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2016, 03:26:16 PM »
I would guess the need for less accurate machining of the stem and head lowers the cost.  Ball bearings are far more forgiving of misalignment issues.

Brian
1989 MILLE GT 
2004 BREVA 750     
1975  Convert

Offline WitchCityGuzzi

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2016, 05:08:11 PM »
I've had to tighten mine (09) a few times and they've been hammered pretty well. I'm replacing them with the All Ballz bearing while I'm doing the Andreani fork cartridges and springs and the Ohlins rear shock.

It was all due for replacement at 67,000 miles. Pretty good run IMHO.
2016 V7II Stornello
2011 Griso SE
2009 Stelvio
2004 Ballabio
1979 V1000 Cafe
1970 Ambassador
1966 Stornello Sport
1967 Aermacchi 250SS Sprint

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here