Author Topic: Riding in China anyone?  (Read 1375 times)

Offline Xlratr

• Gaggle Mentor
  • (ex) Stelvio NTX, '78 Honda 750F2, '97 FXDWG
Riding in China anyone?
« on: September 23, 2016, 07:33:04 AM »
We have a Chinese girl working in our office and she was showing us some pictures of her last trip back home. I must say, they have some pretty impressive scenery over there! And then I saw this picture which was a bit of a jaw dropper!

Zhiangjiajie by -Xlratr!-

Isn't that one amazing looking road?
I wonder if a motorcycle trip within China is remotely doable?
I'm sure renting a Stelvio won't be any problem!:-)
John

I ain't too young to realize, that I ain't too old to try ...

Offline scura283

• New Egg
Re: Riding in China anyone?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2016, 08:13:30 AM »

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2016, 11:01:36 AM »
I think you will have difficulty getting permission to drive there. I spoke to one young guy from Spain, he was saying you need to speak Mandarin first.
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline simonome

• New Egg
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2016, 11:12:07 AM »
I've been few times to china in the past 10 years, and I've worked closely with a chinese guy, dealing on a broad level with automotive there.

From what I've heard, large-capacity bikes are forbidden out of safety concerns for the poor status of the road surface. Infact you don't see any bike larger than 125cc, maybe 300cc.

Moreover riding a bike in the middle of chinese traffic is one of the scariest road experiences I can think of. Actually even being in a car in the middle of the Chinese traffic is pretty scary.

You should consider that Chinese people have a very short driving history, and in most cases a very little understanding of car dynamics and traffic safety... and all of a sudden some find themselves driving mercs, bimmers and exotic cars with hundreds of HP. Very bad combination even on city roads where high traffic density forces to keep speed low.

Just to give an idea, the pal I've been working with had to regularly lend his BMW to his wife, and drive their humble VW. Thats because his wife has no clue on how wiper stalk, driving light switch work, so she drives the car with automatic-everything. I wouldn't remain within 1 mile from that lady driving a 300hp BMW, that don't even know how to switch the wipers off...

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2016, 11:12:07 AM »

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2016, 10:29:16 PM »
I've been few times to china in the past 10 years, and I've worked closely with a chinese guy, dealing on a broad level with automotive there.

From what I've heard, large-capacity bikes are forbidden out of safety concerns for the poor status of the road surface. Infact you don't see any bike larger than 125cc, maybe 300cc.

Moreover riding a bike in the middle of chinese traffic is one of the scariest road experiences I can think of. Actually even being in a car in the middle of the Chinese traffic is pretty scary.

You should consider that Chinese people have a very short driving history, and in most cases a very little understanding of car dynamics and traffic safety... and all of a sudden some find themselves driving mercs, bimmers and exotic cars with hundreds of HP. Very bad combination even on city roads where high traffic density forces to keep speed low.

Just to give an idea, the pal I've been working with had to regularly lend his BMW to his wife, and drive their humble VW. Thats because his wife has no clue on how wiper stalk, driving light switch work, so she drives the car with automatic-everything. I wouldn't remain within 1 mile from that lady driving a 300hp BMW, that don't even know how to switch the wipers off...
The 150 cc rule used to be the case but there are now a few Harleys and BMWs sneaking in.
The Chang Jiang sidecars are classed as sidecars, not motorcycles, one time I took a tour with "Beijing Sideways" out to the great wall, that was a hoot.
The Concere was not too happy about the driver and interpreter picking me up at the hotel.

Although the driver/owner didn't speak English we able to understand each other, he let me pilot for a while and I gave him a Guzzi tee shirt at the end of the day.
They took me to part of the great wall not visited by the hoards of tourists, I highly recommend their tour, remember "Beijing Sideways"

« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 10:51:23 PM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2016, 10:32:38 PM »
If that's the road I think it is, a guy from Italy just took a Ferrari up the road in a record attempt...
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2016, 02:35:06 PM »
Downsize your thinking as mentioned.  Learning some Mandarin would help.  Expect to eat Chinese food most of the time.  Be very open. 
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

oldbike54

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2016, 02:46:04 PM »
Downsize your thinking as mentioned.  Learning some Mandarin would help.  Expect to eat Chinese food most of the time.  Be very open.

Do they have American takeout in China ? :grin:

Dusty

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2016, 07:16:45 PM »
When you can find it but it's a bad carbon copy.  Better to just eat Chinese while there and enjoy the 7 main dialects/regional cooking. :food:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here