Author Topic: New Griso with ABS?  (Read 7292 times)

Offline Xlratr

• Gaggle Mentor
  • (ex) Stelvio NTX, '78 Honda 750F2, '97 FXDWG
New Griso with ABS?
« on: January 04, 2017, 05:07:12 PM »
Just saw this on mobile.de (the German vehicle trading site).
The dealer says it's the world's first Griso with ABS. Can't imagine it came from the factory like that, but if the dealer converted it then I'm sure it can't have been easy.
Interesting!

Moto Guzzi Griso 1200 ABS for €14.990 at mobile.de: https://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/details.html?id=236100618
https://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/details.html?id=236100618

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 06:26:38 AM by Xlratr »
John

I ain't too young to realize, that I ain't too old to try ...

stormshearon

Re: New Griso with ABS?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 05:49:00 PM »
Hm - Considering a certain Mr. Roper says there is no place on the Griso to put the ABS pump, I wonder how they did it as well. Were there any details on how this was accomplished?

beetle

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 06:10:24 PM »
I don't believe it.

Online Stelvio Scott

• New Egg
  • Do good. Help others if you can. Ease pain.
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 06:36:38 PM »
Perhaps they utilized the ABS from the V7/V9 ?  The curious thing is that in the photo, there is indeed a Hall Effect Sensor Ring on the front wheel! :popcorn:

1997 V10 Centauro - 2007 Norge 1200 - 2008 Breva 1200 Sport - 2009 California Vintage
2012 Stelvio NTX - 2016 Eldorado 1400 - 2023 V100 Mandello S - and 10 others… Addiction is a terrible thing.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 06:36:38 PM »

beetle

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2017, 07:52:46 PM »
My disbelief is crumbling.  :shocked:

Offline AH Fan

• Gaggle Mentor
  • small stable of Italian stuff
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2017, 07:58:09 PM »
Good eye................ :thumb:

Offline guzziownr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 08:10:48 PM »
"German model from the Moto Guzzi dealership, no GrauimportABS !!! The first Griso in the world with ABS! Numerous accessories ... Grips, levers, mirrors, Kellermann-Blinker, exhaust ... super sound, look and let yourself be inspired! We would be pleased to make you an individual financing offer - please call us! We are a dealer for scooters and motorcycles from Piaggio, Vespa, Aprilia, Moto Guzzi, Derbi and many more. Ask for our bar prices or give us a price. For an inquiry call us or send us your telephone number or write us an e-mail Our shop is closed from 24.12.16 until 01.01.2017 We wish you a Merry Christmas and a good one". From google translate
If you ever feel like no one pays attention to you, try making a sandwich in front of your dog

Moto

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2017, 08:22:51 PM »
Perhaps they utilized the ABS from the V7/V9 ?  The curious thing is that in the photo, there is indeed a Hall Effect Sensor Ring on the front wheel! :popcorn:

Yes, good eye! And there is also a new tube or cable coming up from below the transmission, and crossing the usual tube leading down from the rear brake reservoir. That area below the transmission may still have been empty in the European model (it's where U.S. model has the evaporative canister). I think I also see a new component down there.

I believe I suggested that mounting place for the ABS pump when Pete was scoffing at the possibility of adding one. (It's where I installed my cruise control.) It looks like that may be where they put it, unless someone has another identification for that tube/cable.

Moto
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 12:28:00 AM by Moto »

Moto

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2017, 08:32:20 PM »
I wonder if this is the Aprilia-based system smdl mentioned two years ago as being under development by Guzzi?

"...The local dealer tells me that Piaggio is adapting a very small ABS pump (Aprilia-based) for use on the Griso.... Shaun"

In this best of all possible worlds no doubt we'll be able to order it as a kit, by and by!

Moto

Here's the link to Shaun's comment:
http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=74247.msg1161706#msg1161706

« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 08:42:53 PM by Moto »

pete roper

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2017, 09:34:19 PM »
Well, if they've managed it somehow and the Griso is to remain in production I'll be overjoyed! It certainly looks as though the ABS pump is under the gearbox and the triggers and plumbing are all there.

Let's hope.

Offline Phang

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2017, 11:27:23 PM »
and it has this ABS warning light at the plastic piece under the dash too, looks genuine.
2009 Griso 8V SE Tenni (Green)
2000 V11 Sport (Green)
1973 V7 Sport (Green)

Offline Waterbottle

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2017, 11:54:26 PM »
If they keep running with those Metzeler tyres they need the ABS  :cheesy:
But seriously, I hope this is true and not just a one off  :drool:
2015 Griso SE Rosso
2012 Stelvio 8V
2009 Griso R  Track only
76 GT 750 Suzuki
If you Ride a Griso, You need Tyres with Gription

Moto

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2017, 12:16:32 AM »
Well, if they've managed it somehow and the Griso is to remain in production I'll be overjoyed! It certainly looks as though the ABS pump is under the gearbox and the triggers and plumbing are all there.

Let's hope.

:thumb:

Offline Xlratr

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2017, 03:57:05 AM »
I just spoke to the dealer. It's their own conversion using original MG parts (Stelvio). Not a factory effort unfortunately, but all the more credit to dealer I reckon!

John

pete roper

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2017, 04:53:48 AM »
So it's got all the hardware. How did they work the software out.

Pete

beetle

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2017, 05:47:18 AM »
Early model single lambda Sport, Norge or Stelvio 5AM would work.

Offline Xlratr

• Gaggle Mentor
New Griso with ABS?
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2017, 05:50:06 AM »
Pete, the guy told me they used a Stelvio ECU (1 Lambda).

Edit: I just looked at the pictures again. They've been updated and now show a modified rear end, LED headlight, painted valve covers. It isn't cheap, but looking at the whole package (grips, mirrors, indicators + exhaust too!), I think it's a good offer. There's a lot of work gone in there.
If I was looking for a new Griso, I'd buy it!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 06:02:09 AM by Xlratr »
John

Offline Phang

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2017, 06:00:16 AM »
what sort of data exchange between the ECU and the ABS modulator? Inquiring mind wants to know  :thumb:

Phang
2000 V11 Sport (Green)
1973 V7 Sport (Green)

beetle

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2017, 02:17:33 PM »
what sort of data exchange between the ECU and the ABS modulator? Inquiring mind wants to know  :thumb:

Nothing. The ABS unit sends the speed data to the ECU. That's it.

Moto

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2017, 03:01:35 PM »

Interesting. Then why would a new ECU be needed for this conversion? Couldn't the old one still get its signal from the sensor on the back wheel?

To be clear, I'm not challenging your information, but just trying to understand the requirements better!

Moto

beetle

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2017, 04:30:05 PM »
Interesting. Then why would a new ECU be needed for this conversion? Couldn't the old one still get its signal from the sensor on the back wheel?

To be clear, I'm not challenging your information, but just trying to understand the requirements better!

As far as speed is concerned, the Griso ECU would work. You'd just need to change the speedo correction. I'm not sure what they've done to the instruments, however. The ECU talks to the dash via CAN bus, and ABS data may well be transferred betwixt them. Therefore, the Stelvio firmware may be required.

Moto

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2017, 06:03:38 PM »

As far as speed is concerned, the Griso ECU would work. You'd just need to change the speedo correction. I'm not sure what they've done to the instruments, however. The ECU talks to the dash via CAN bus, and ABS data may well be transferred betwixt them. Therefore, the Stelvio firmware may be required.

It would be nice to find out. That dash is a single, multi-layered printed circuit board, and would be very hard to modify (aside from changing the colors of the LEDs and stuff like that). Though the dash's cpu could be reprogrammed, in principle, I doubt that such a thing would be undertaken unless it were unavoidable. The ABS indicator lamp seems to be completely separate from the dash. I'd bet the dash is unchanged.

beetle

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2017, 07:12:54 PM »
If it's just the light, then it's likely the Griso ECU could be used. Maybe. I'm not going to buy all the ABS stuff just to find out. :laugh:

pete roper

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2017, 07:41:15 PM »
I cam send you the stuff off the stelvio wreck if you're really keen! :evil:

beetle

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2017, 07:45:22 PM »
Sure. I'm game.

pete roper

« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2017, 08:28:44 PM »
(Groan!) OK. Another thing to add to the list! :grin:

Pete

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2017, 02:21:23 AM »
For speed, the abs unit connects to the ecu, in the same input where else the rearwheel speed sensor sends its signal in.  There is one connection between abs unit and dash, I suppose to send status, so the abs light in the dash can work. And maybe for error display in the dash.
They still use the griso dash as it looks like.
I don't have an abs bike, can't check. For the ecu, any 5am unit will do. one and two lambda ecu are exchangeable, since hw version(610) is the same. That is tested in the past.
Paul

Daytona 1225, Stelvio 1151

Download Guzzidiag here: http://www.von-der-salierburg.de/download/GuzziDiag/

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2017, 03:25:35 AM »
Yeah I don't know about you blokes, but on the topic on ABS, I reckon on the occasions that I've cancelled the ABS on my Norge, the braking feels smoother and without the annoying " tap tap tap" under the pedal. Personally if I had the skill (which I don't), I'd give the ABS the arse along with the hardware and back my "skill", such that it is. I once had to brake in torrential rain to stop at a light and I know I could have, (just), but the damn ABS said no and if I'd carried on with the braking, I would have overshot the line by 5 or so metres, so I accelerated through the intersection, a major pain. I'd like to be rid of it, I don't want a computer riding my bike.

Offline Phang

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2017, 08:30:18 AM »

Thanks for the reply mate, I certainly hope that ABS can be retro fitted on the Griso. 

Speaking of ABS, my car ABS/ESP detected some fault and turn itself off in the middle of a drive few days ago.

I  (not the car), went into limp mode immediately as if the car will lock the wheels and spins if I touch that brake pedal. I laughed at myself when I reached home, I don't remember I  drive that slow in a car or motorcycle without ABS.
2000 V11 Sport (Green)
1973 V7 Sport (Green)

beetle

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2017, 02:46:07 PM »
I don't want no stinkin' ABS on my Griso, but I'm willing to take one for the team to see how easy/difficult/costly it is.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here