Author Topic: securing t-3 headlight without tape?  (Read 578 times)

Offline yackee

• Gosling
securing t-3 headlight without tape?
« on: July 18, 2017, 03:49:29 PM »
In the course of chasing down an intermittent-starting/no-turn-signal issue (traced to a bad #2 fuse) on my '76 t-3, I had the opportunity to replace my massively deteriorated rubber headlight ring with a new one I ordered from MG Cycle a few years ago. Ever since I have had the bike I have secured the headlight on the bucket with several wraps of black electrical tape, as an "assist" for the the ridiculously inadequate little machine screw on the bottom of the headlight rim. Now, with the new rubber, I was hoping to be able to stop wasting electrical tape. But after some time fussing with the set-up, I still can't figure out how the headlight can possibly be held to the bucket without tape, even with the new rubber ring.

Could someone explain to me, at least in principle, how this set-up is supposed to work? I assume I am missing some way for the headlight ring to "click" into the bucket sufficiently for the rubber ring to hold it in place? Or should I just go back to using electrical tape?

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
Re: securing t-3 headlight without tape?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 04:52:19 PM »
The rubber ring fits onto the bucket like this, note the position of the semi-circular indents and the tab at the top of the bucket:

The headlight rim hooks over this tab at the top and is secured by the screw at the bottom.

Charlie

Offline yackee

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 05:30:42 PM »
Thank you Charlie! This is very helpful.

Offline guzzinka

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 05:43:50 PM »
I always thought the tape was the oem method!  :boozing:

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 05:43:50 PM »

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here