Author Topic: Buick Tour X  (Read 7767 times)

Offline Buckturgidson

• Gaggle Mentor
Buick Tour X
« on: December 22, 2019, 03:07:04 PM »
I saw one on the road and it looked pretty cool, from the standpoint of a 58 yo WASP anyway. It has AWD and a 250 hp turbo standard on all trims, and is priced comparably to all the cookie-cutter crossovers with less power. Built in Germany. It would be great for skiing, I am tempted. Less than a small Jetta wagon with 168 hp.

https://www.buick.com/crossovers/regal/tourx
"It's not your job to be as confused as Nigel." -Spinal Tap.
"Wagner's music is better than it sounds." -Mark Twain

'86 Yamaha SRX-6
'07 Norge, Rosina, the classy one

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
Re: Buick Tour X
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2019, 03:32:09 PM »
It's going to get the "axe" after the 2020 model year. Apparently developed and built by Opel (which GM no longer owns, Peugeot does).

"As a bonus, axing the Regal will finally allow Buick to end its reliance on former sister company Opel, which General Motors sold to Paris-based Peugeot in 2017. It developed the Regal, and manufactures it in a factory located next to Opel headquarters in Rüsselsheim, Germany."
Charlie

Offline rjamesohio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2019, 03:35:06 PM »
It is a neat car and sad GM is pulling the plug.

We love wagons and own a VW Alltrack, similar car and there are great deals out there now for them because even VW is dropping wagons. It’s a shame; not an SUV fan.
Ron James
Ex LM V
Ex SP1000
Ex Eldorado
Ex Quota - parts live on after crash
EX 1000G5
EX 850T3
EX 2003 V11 Stone
EX 1996 California 1100i
EX 2006 Big Breva
1979 1000 G5
1993 California iii
Spine Frame Mongrel
1999 BMW R1100R
Waynesville, Oh

Offline wrbix

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2019, 04:51:14 PM »
Agree...nice looking...saw one in the wild the other day and was surprised to see the Buick emblem.
Reminds me of the Audi Avant I used to have.
Bill in VA, sometimes FL

"Eschew aphorism"

LeMans IV - "Giulia"
Lario - "Giulietta"
V50III cafe'd - "Leggera"
‘77 Convert - “Sofia”
BMW airheads: R100RS, R100CS, R100GS, R100RT, R60/2 sidecar rig
Classic Mini
‘60 Austin Healey Sprite
Caterham Super Seven Sprint
‘13 Audi TTRS
Grumman AA5B (sold)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2019, 04:51:14 PM »

Online AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2019, 05:08:25 PM »
Meh. It looks just like our Enclave, but stepped on.

-AJ
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

Online tommy2cyl

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2019, 06:13:08 PM »
VW Alltrack owner here also.  Glad we got ours before VW pulled the plug.  Have owned it for 1 1/2 years and performs to our expectations.  Gotta say the Buick Tour X is a sleeper as well.  250 HP/290 ft lbs of torque/AWD.  Go to Car Gurus and there are unbelievable deals on them.  $35,XXX MSRP selling new for $24- $25 K.  Long roofs are still popular in Europe, don't understand this "must buy SUV only" mentality in the USA.  Of course I am also a fan of Honda Ridgelines and the coming Hyundai Santa Cruz.  Bigger & heavier isn't always needed.  YMMV.

Offline Buckturgidson

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2019, 06:57:27 PM »
"must buy SUV only"

And here in northern Nevada the giant truck thing is unreal. A high percentage of people are driving huge trucks, mostly commuting or as everyday drivers. There appears to be a competition for who has the largest, and highest-raised truck. Where well it end? In five years will trucks used for commuting be another 20% larger?

'86 Yamaha SRX-6

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2019, 08:04:33 PM »
"must buy SUV only"

And here in northern Nevada the giant truck thing is unreal. A high percentage of people are driving huge trucks, mostly commuting or as everyday drivers. There appears to be a competition for who has the largest, and highest-raised truck. Where well it end? In five years will trucks used for commuting be another 20% larger?

People buy 'em because they can afford them and they like big things.  Regular people with jobs who buy vehicles for commuting have got more money than they've ever had in their lives, and are splashing it out on giant vehicles and the fuel to run them.

Not my thing, but probably many people wouldn't spend their money on the stuff I spend MY money on, so it all comes out even ....

Lannis (I used "even" instead of "evenly" for effect, in case any pedants are lurking ... !)
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Online Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2019, 10:14:53 PM »
Peugeot is now in partnership with Fiat Chrysler. The name of the new company is yet to be determined.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Offline Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2019, 06:44:07 AM »
Compare a 1980 or even a 1990 pickemup to a 2000 or newer. The newer you get the bigger they get. Taller and longer but load ratings haven't changed.
Wheels have gone from 15" to 20 and larger. Its to the point its getting hard to find 15" tires for my "little"92 Dakota....which weighs a full two tons.
1990 Cal III f/f  "Il Duce' III"
1987 1000 SPII "Il Duce' II"

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2019, 08:03:33 AM »
VW Alltrack owner here also.  Glad we got ours before VW pulled the plug.  Have owned it for 1 1/2 years and performs to our expectations.  Gotta say the Buick Tour X is a sleeper as well.  250 HP/290 ft lbs of torque/AWD.  Go to Car Gurus and there are unbelievable deals on them.  $35,XXX MSRP selling new for $24- $25 K.  Long roofs are still popular in Europe, don't understand this "must buy SUV only" mentality in the USA.  Of course I am also a fan of Honda Ridgelines and the coming Hyundai Santa Cruz.  Bigger & heavier isn't always needed.  YMMV.

Golf Sportwagen owner here.    I too am dismayed at the disappearance of wagons from the US market, replaced by the proliferation of tall dork wagons (crossovers and SUVs).

OK, for those of you who like the crossovers and SUVs, good for you, I'm not going to judge.   I just don't want to drive one.    My wagon has as much cargo space as a mid-sized SUV, but, handles better, gets much better fuel economy, and doesn't require ladder to load bicycles and kayaks on the roof.     Many of the great wagons that used to be available here (and still are for a limited time), including the Golf wagon were/are available in AWD for those who need (or feel they need) it.

We've had a wagon in our garage for 20 years now, and cringe at the though of having to get an SUV when it is time to replace the Sportwagen.   I hate being forced to compromise and buy what everyone else likes/wants.     I don't want to go back to a sedan, wagons are so much more versatile.

Our previous wagons:
1995 Volvo 850 Turbo (only kept 3 years, because the automatic transmission bored us to tears).
2000 BMW 323iT  (5 speed manual)
2012 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (6 speed manual) -- sold back to VW dieselgate

Current:
2015 VW Golf TDI Sportwagen (6 speed manual)

Contrary to popular believe, you do not need an SUV to tow a trailer either.    Stupidly, most automakers won't offer trailer hitches on cars in the US, but, if you check the same cars in Europe, most mid-size cars are rated for 1,500-2,000kg towing.     Our VW is rated for 1,500kg (3,300#).

I've towed 2000# popup-campers (with the BMW), and open and enclosed (V-nose aluminum 6x12) motorcycle trailers (current VW + previous 2013 Golf TDI).

The only wagons left in the US market after the departure of the Buick and VW wagons will be Mercedes, Audi, BMW  (also gone after this year) and Volvo -- all way above my pay grade, all automatic only  :sad:.

I think I read somewhere that Audi's wagons are being pulled from the market too, in favor of they Q-series SUVs.

:sad: :sad: :sad:
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 08:23:40 AM by jas67 »
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Offline kirby1923

• Gaggle Mentor
  • '81 CX100
  • Location: SoCal (rural) near Tehachapi CA, Rogers AR when in the states other times GMT+1 thu +6
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2019, 08:05:53 AM »
When traveling to the States on business I sometime am accompanied by a company person that has never been to the USA.
The thing they are most astounded by usually are the BIG pickups and the drive throughs...both are unremarkable to me.

Go figure...

:-)
'81 CX100

A calm and modest life brings more happiness than the constant pursuit of success combined with constant restlessness.. Einstein,A

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2019, 09:04:38 AM »
Also called the ZB Comodore in other markets.

Offline roadventure

• Gosling
  • There is no try; There is only do.
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2019, 09:26:12 AM »
And the evolution from station wagon to van to mini-van to "sport utility vehicle" to station wagon is almost complete.  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
dave
Millville, DE

"Moto Guzzi....you're never more than 500 miles from your nearest dealer"

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2019, 09:40:18 AM »
Also called the ZB Comodore in other markets.

Looks like the Australia version?
"Buick will continue to sell it in the Chinese market because motorists there still buy sedans, and Opel/Vauxhall will keep offering its version of the car (called the Insignia) across Europe."
"From 2018 the Holden Commodore is fully imported from Opel Germany, and is a badge-engineered Opel Insignia."

Charlie

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2019, 09:41:58 AM »
I went to look at one a year or so ago.  Apparently they hadn't been delivered to the dealers yet.  I asked the salesman about the new wagon coming out and he was totally clueless and never heard of it.

It looks like a pretty nice car.  Perhaps the last of the Buick Opels since GM has sold the company.  The reviews were mildly disappointing but I haven't driven one.  It's not available with a stick and I think the nice ones are loaded down with all wheel drive.  I've always liked the idea of a sportwagen, very popular in Europe.  I see that BMW has stopped importing them.

European Buick with AWD, what could go wrong?
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Yeahoo Whoyah

• Gaggle Hero
  • 1971 LAPD Ambassador - 1976 Convert
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2019, 09:56:32 AM »
Buick's should look like this, especially at Christmas.

upload images
Greg Tillitson
El Dorado Hills Calif.

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2019, 10:25:48 AM »

I really like the Buick wagon.  Especially in the AWD trim.  Would pick it over the "dime a dozen" Subarus, which are what rule the AWD wagon market in the mountains where I live.

It's kind of a shame it only has 250bhp.  Kind of low compared to other AWD cars a person can buy. 

Sure, they're discontinuing it, but GM dealers will be able to maintain it, and it will be sort of a unique car to drive.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2019, 12:39:47 PM »
I really like the Buick wagon.  Especially in the AWD trim.  Would pick it over the "dime a dozen" Subarus, which are what rule the AWD wagon market in the mountains where I live.

It's kind of a shame it only has 250bhp.  Kind of low compared to other AWD cars a person can buy. 

Sure, they're discontinuing it, but GM dealers will be able to maintain it, and it will be sort of a unique car to drive.

Dunno if you get it there but locally it was avalible with a 3.something litre V6 which is a long lost decendant of the buick 3.8 it not fancy but it should hang in there, yes this is the imported version Commodores lowish sales numbers have tanked off the back of this thing. No V8 and AWD not seen as much of an advantage, FWD on the cheaper models is trying to compete with the Camry ,all the pervious versions were RWD. People who don't care about a car are going to buy the camry without cross shopping trying to get into that market is pretty hard IMO. Keep looking at secound hand VF's but I'm kinda cheap when it comes to cars and I've never brought a new one.

oldbike54

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2019, 12:54:31 PM »
Peugeot is now in partnership with Fiat Chrysler. The name of the new company is yet to be determined.
kk

Peuchiat ?

Dusty

Offline BrotherJim

• Gosling
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2019, 01:19:01 PM »
The Tour X is a nice looking car.  Always been a fan of the wagons.
Short Time Livin'...

'02 Moto Guzzi California Stone

Offline CT Dharma

• Hatchling
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2019, 01:27:00 PM »
Also a fan of the wagon over the SUV and was interested when this model was introduced last year. Unfortunately, don't need/want an AWD vehicle and this is the only way the Regal TourX was made. Also now knowing that Opal is involved even have less interest; especially if anything like the Opals of my youth.
1980 SP1000 original owner
1998 V10 Centauro
1982 Honda CX500TC Turbo
2012 Yamaha FJR 1300
2005 BMW R1100S BCR
1995 KTM Duke 620
1987 BMW K100RS

"When I'm riding my motorcycle, I'm glad to be alive. When I stop riding my motorcycle, I'm glad to be alive" - Neil Peart 1952-2020

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2019, 08:02:32 PM »
  knowing that Opal is involved even have less interest; especially if anything like the Opals of my youth.

That's about like saying you don't want a 2019 Fiat because of the 1977 model 124 that left you stranded.

Modern Opels are nice cars. 
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2019, 08:06:06 PM »

There's a reason that they're a "dime" and there are "dozens" of them, those Subarus.

They're not expensive, they do what it says on the tin, and they last a long long time.    I can't imagine that someone has a "cachet" or "street cred" because they're driving a Buick instead of a Subaru?    Does anyone even notice?

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2019, 08:28:23 PM »
There's a reason that they're a "dime" and there are "dozens" of them, those Subarus.

They're not expensive, they do what it says on the tin, and they last a long long time.    I can't imagine that someone has a "cachet" or "street cred" because they're driving a Buick instead of a Subaru?    Does anyone even notice?

Lannis

No doubt the Subaru Outbacks work as advertised.  But, I'm a Guzzisti, and must not follow the crowd.  It's in my DNA.

If I was buying an AWD wagon, I'd by the Buick TourX. 
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2019, 08:30:24 PM »
I just wouldn't.

I was tempted but when the salesman had never heard of it, nevermind.

John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2019, 09:38:33 PM »
My only real concern is if it has a ZF gearbox (which is more than likely) do not screw around with the service intervals and make sure the consumables meet the manufacturers requirements, they tend to bite hard if its ignored.

Offline Buckturgidson

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2019, 11:50:11 PM »
A comparably priced Subaru Outback weighs the same, over 3700 lbs., and has an anemic normally aspirated engine. The Tour X has considerably more horsepower and torque, 250 hp/295 torque versus 182 hp/176 torque for the Outback.  It's apples to oranges from a power/weight standpoint. The Buick appeals to me because it is not a cookie-cutter SUV/crossover and the performance is superior for the same price.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 12:06:58 AM by Buckturgidson »

'86 Yamaha SRX-6

Offline Ryan

• Gosling
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2019, 12:49:43 AM »
On my second Outback, and this one will be my last. Not because it is problematic or anything, it is a six-speed manual and the last of its breed. And I don't care what the marketing people say, it is a wagon. I also have a 96 Suburban 2500HD. That is an SUV. It does truck things. The Outback is a weapon in the snow, gets decent fuel mileage, and has a ton of room. I like the Buick- if it came with a stick, I'd be a player on style alone.  As a dedicated three pedal guy, my choices are dwindling quickly, so I will likely just rebuild the Subaru motor and trans when they finally wear out.

Offline Canada72

• New Egg
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2019, 08:22:43 AM »
Buick makes a decent vehicle, but the brand will eventually get killed off by GM. Always does well in the warranty reports, settling above average, if that is important to you. Unfortunately, they can’t shake the image of being an elderly person’s vehicle.

If you like bigger wagons Volvo makes some nice vehicles and they are much more aesthetically pleasing than the ones they pumped out in the 80’s.

VW is killing off their wagon line as they don’t sell well in North America. Too bad, as a good little vehicle, but it comes down to consumer tastes in the USA.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here