Author Topic: New Harley Bronx  (Read 8630 times)

Offline kirby1923

• Gaggle Mentor
  • '81 CX100
  • Location: SoCal (rural) near Tehachapi CA, Rogers AR when in the states other times GMT+1 thu +6
Re: New Harley Bronx
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2020, 10:01:18 AM »
Harley is new to the marketing game since their reemergence from the AMF years they have never had to play that game, and became arrogant because there was always a waiting list for a new machines.

Times have changed and the Mo company is feeling the pain of learning how to respond to a new demographic.

The Harley core will have to get over it.

Time well tell if $20K+ pushrod 45 deg V twins with...Gulp...press ed together cranks can survive in todays market.

"Join the brotherhood" is pretty tired...

:-)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 11:24:34 AM by kirby1923 »
'81 CX100

A calm and modest life brings more happiness than the constant pursuit of success combined with constant restlessness.. Einstein,A

Offline Daleroso

• Gosling
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2020, 11:27:42 AM »
Tazio & Motormike nailed it.
1st problem, the sales floor.
2nd problem, the price. IMO the older riders that can afford the new direction HD's don't ride this style.
I've moved on from HD but really appreciate their American success story.

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2020, 12:07:54 PM »
It appears that everyone's comments have a good degree of validity to them.  Plenty of good points made.
It'll be one for the Harvard Mgmt school if they succeed, or not.  I'm interested either way.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2020, 02:48:41 PM »
Looking at the pictures I don't think it is a pushrod motor. I have seen some drawings and some possible specs but I don't remember much. Again I am old and sometimes have to look at my phone to see what my name is.   :cry:

I have been a former Harley owner and have some mixed feelings. My first was an 883 Sportster, which was a good bike but I needed more. I moved on to a 2006  88" Softail Deuce. I would still have this bike if it hadn't been lost when my shop burned down. It was a great bike for what it was. When I was trying to replace it I could not find anything used that hadn't been owner screwed up with obnoxious exhaust, ape hangers etc. So I bought a new 110" Softail Slim. It was nowhere near as good as the Deuce was. The engine was terribly noisy mechanically. I was able to quiet the valve train by upgrading the lowest bidder originals. But I was at a loss with the bottom end noise, not knowing what was causing it. Probably primary chain and balancer chain but probably no real fix. My Guzzi has loud valve train noise but it is because of the design not poor engineering so it doesn't bother me.

I think some of Harley's problems come from continuing to take an old design and continuing to make it bigger and bigger. Not gaining them anything but more warranty problems due to owners trying to make more powerful. These two new models, Pan American and Bronx, seem to be moving in the right direction but are probably a day late and dollars too much. They seem to have the horsepower but I am afraid Harley will price themselves right out of the market. They are going to have to be in the $12k to the $14k range to be competitive. I don't think that is going to happen. However I wish them the best. I'll get off my soapbox now. 
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2020, 02:48:41 PM »

Online bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2020, 04:49:39 PM »
What, are all you guys high?    Harley blows, always have, this pedestiran attempt at something different for them will blow as well.

If I wanted a HD I have one, but I don't, and the reasons are too many to list in an hour.

Hey, but if you like them, knock yourself out.  I'll just keep on being a hater. :evil:
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2020, 04:53:57 PM »
I like it. It looks like something Harley needs to pull in fresh meat.
If I was running the show, I'd have upper management types "dropping in" and walking through my Dealerships. I'd shitcan any place where employees weren't
100% behind this bike/motor. My experience at several places was that Buell seldom got a fair shake and V-Rod didn't fair much better. Yep, just cut THAT dealership off at the knees..
I'm "rooting" for a healthier hog farm.   :afro:

I was in a Harley Shop today wearing a Triumph riding jacket and rode up on my Royal Enfield Himalayan.  Everyone greeted me with a smile and some asked about the Royal Enfield.  They were all knowledgeable about the new bikes coming down the assembly line. 

Many of the dealers I have stopped in have already been building scramblers out of Streets and 883s. 

2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2020, 04:57:39 PM »
They tried. 

When I asked about "new bikes", they tried to show me the liquid-cooled Milwaukee line which I said wasn't what I asking about. 

Puzzled looks in return.

Did you specifically ask about the Pan American and the Bronx?  If not, they have no reason to tell you about them when they can possibly sell you a "new" bike today.  That is how sales works.   :rolleyes:

My local Nissan dealer is trying to unload all the '19 Titans before the redesigned '20 models hit the lot, so they are not going to mention them to someone who doesn't know they are coming next month. 
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2020, 05:01:25 PM »
Harley is new to the marketing game since their reemergence from the AMF years they have never had to play that game, and became arrogant because there was always a waiting list for a new machines.

Times have changed and the Mo company is feeling the pain of learning how to respond to a new demographic.

The Harley core will have to get over it.

Time well tell if $20K+ pushrod 45 deg V twins with...Gulp...press ed together cranks can survive in todays market.

"Join the brotherhood" is pretty tired...

I bought my first Harley in 2016.  I have signed up for emails from every motorcycle manufacturer so I can be informed when new items and deals come out.  Harley sent me an email mentioning that if I buy a new bike they will give me a 5 year Extended Service Plan for $1.  The same week the local dealer sent me an email stating that they would give me NADA retail for my trade in and I pay MSRP for the new bike.  All told it was equivalent to getting 30% off the price of the bike.  I'd say that was some good marketing without "discounting" the price of the bike like the Japanese have to do to move them. 
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2020, 05:15:52 PM »

Roots in the 1994 VR1000.

"I think Harley got a little off track
Took 'em twenty five years to welcome it back.

But, it's better than not comin' back at all
Many a good plan I saw fall.

And even now, every time I dream,
I hear the men and the women and the superbikes scream."

-Whiskey Sam

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline kirby1923

• Gaggle Mentor
  • '81 CX100
  • Location: SoCal (rural) near Tehachapi CA, Rogers AR when in the states other times GMT+1 thu +6
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2020, 06:11:01 PM »
I bought my first Harley in 2016.  I have signed up for emails from every motorcycle manufacturer so I can be informed when new items and deals come out.  Harley sent me an email mentioning that if I buy a new bike they will give me a 5 year Extended Service Plan for $1.  The same week the local dealer sent me an email stating that they would give me NADA retail for my trade in and I pay MSRP for the new bike.  All told it was equivalent to getting 30% off the price of the bike.  I'd say that was some good marketing without "discounting" the price of the bike like the Japanese have to do to move them.

I'm not talking about fire sales and trying to move largely unsold machines/inventory all manufacturers do that. They probably make more money w/ridding accessories like duds and do rags and vests boots. (profit margins)

They are between a rock and a hard place.

The core HD guy will always want a big 45 degree twin. Its the sound and culture. They are looking for a "you meet the nicest people on a Honda", somehow that just doesn't fit the typical HD guy.

Its the big picture, "where do we go from hear?" not BOGO.

I'm talking about a plan to stay alive in these times when the riding public is aging riders or uninterested in things that are real, preferring the virtual world.

If they can't find a path they will go the way of the public library.

They have to live up to their own image and when that image is bigger than life or out of date,it could be a real struggle or not possible.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 06:20:18 PM by kirby1923 »
'81 CX100

A calm and modest life brings more happiness than the constant pursuit of success combined with constant restlessness.. Einstein,A

Online Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2020, 06:13:02 PM »
Did you specifically ask about the Pan American and the Bronx?  If not, they have no reason to tell you about them when they can possibly sell you a "new" bike today.  That is how sales works.   :rolleyes:

My local Nissan dealer is trying to unload all the '19 Titans before the redesigned '20 models hit the lot, so they are not going to mention them to someone who doesn't know they are coming next month.

Think the new one will continue to look more like a ford than a real ford does?
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2020, 06:41:24 PM »
What, are all you guys high?    Harley blows, always have, this pedestiran attempt at something different for them will blow as well.

BS Chad.
They will sell and take units away from the current offerings.
The Yanks wanted to go Harley, but did not want to buy into the “thing...”
It’ll be another V85 story.
Why don’t we lay our cards on the table now ? I’ll have a few bob on them being a success, anyone got the ticker to take my bet ?
Probably not... :popcorn:
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 06:44:43 PM by Huzo »

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2020, 06:48:38 PM »
Harley's don't blow.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

oldbike54

« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2020, 07:00:15 PM »
 Rumor has it that the new Indian will be called *the Slapout* .

Dusty

Online Beowulf

• Gosling
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2020, 07:08:06 PM »
Exactly what I was wondering. How can someone say it is overpriced when the article didn't mention price?

Far as price the other article i read said 15000 starting. I stepped array from this thread expecting it to die like my others. Lol

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2020, 08:28:45 PM »

I'm not talking about fire sales and trying to move largely unsold machines/inventory all manufacturers do that. They probably make more money w/ridding accessories like duds and do rags and vests boots. (profit margins)

They are between a rock and a hard place.

The core HD guy will always want a big 45 degree twin. Its the sound and culture. They are looking for a "you meet the nicest people on a Honda", somehow that just doesn't fit the typical HD guy.

Its the big picture, "where do we go from hear?" not BOGO.

I'm talking about a plan to stay alive in these times when the riding public is aging riders or uninterested in things that are real, preferring the virtual world.

If they can't find a path they will go the way of the public library.

They have to live up to their own image and when that image is bigger than life or out of date,it could be a real struggle or not possible.

The Rushmore Road Glide Ultra was a brand new model so your theory is not valid. 
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2020, 08:47:46 PM »
Think the new one will continue to look more like a ford than a real ford does?

It is circulating on YouTube now.  I really like my '19 King Cab.  Sub $30k for it.
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

oldbike54

« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2020, 08:52:01 PM »
The Rushmore Road Glide Ultra was a brand new model so your theory is not valid.

Huh?

Dusty

Offline zedXmick

• Gosling
« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2020, 09:19:37 PM »
I can’t wait to test ride this bike. Looking for a naked American UJM.
2010 VFR1200F  DCT

Offline Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2020, 10:46:25 PM »
"Did you specifically ask about the Pan American and the Bronx?  If not, they have no reason to tell you about them when they can possibly sell you a "new" bike today.  That is how sales works.   :rolleyes:"

Maybe this is why my local MG dealer doesn't know a thing about the V85 TT Travel.   :evil:
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2020, 05:03:51 AM »
Harley's don't blow.
Correct...
They suck..!

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2020, 06:10:43 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahrer7NmzNI

Assuming from this video, subliminal message that the "Bronx" will be one of the bikes made in India?
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2020, 06:58:29 AM »
Huh?

Dusty

What are you missing Dusty.  He said fire sale to sell unsold machines, yet the Road Glide Ultra I bought was the first Rushmore Road Glide Ultra to show up at the dealership.  There was no limitations on the direct marketing I received for leftover, largely unsold models like car manufacturers use. 
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2020, 07:06:02 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahrer7NmzNI

Assuming from this video, subliminal message that the "Bronx" will be one of the bikes made in India?

and that is how internet rumors continue. 

I have the Royal Enfield Himalayan made in India from English engineering and no issues with the bike.  It is true that Harley is going to assemble some bikes in other countries for that region's market to get around tariffs. 
This is different than the Japanese manufacturers getting bikes assembled in Thailand for import into the US, or European manufacturers getting bikes assembled in Thailand and India for import into the US.

My Nissan Titan is more American than GM, Ford, or Ram. 
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Gappy

• New Egg
  • StLouis MO
« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2020, 07:47:17 AM »
My hobby and passion is riding and wrenching vintage motorcycles. My latest addition to the stable is a 1983 FLHT Shovelhead , finally road worthy. I finally own a piece of Harley history weighing in at a whopping 760 lbs same size but 200 lbs more than my Cali 1100. The 940 pound behemoths Harley is trying to sell us is not going well IMO.

I find the HD live wire , pan american, and now Bronx streetfighter exciting along with the Indian Chalanger.  About time HD start to cut ties with us old push rod, OHV crowd and compete with with the rest of the cycling world with water cooled OHC engines. I would love to see HD and Indian compete in F1 and not just flat track racing.  Maybe this is a step in the right direction.  Win on Sundays , sell them on Mondays.
2003 Suzuki burgman an650
1994 Moto Guzzi California 1100
1992 BMW k75s
1983 Harley Davidson FLHT
1981 BMW r100rt
1981 Honda 650/4

bobrebos

« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2020, 07:56:05 AM »
I was in a Harley Shop today wearing a Triumph riding jacket and rode up on my Royal Enfield Himalayan.  Everyone greeted me with a smile and some asked about the Royal Enfield.  They were all knowledgeable about the new bikes coming down the assembly line. 

Many of the dealers I have stopped in have already been building scramblers out of Streets and 883s.

How do you like your Royal Enfield Himalayan if I could ask?

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2020, 10:02:52 AM »
and that is how internet rumors continue. 

I have the Royal Enfield Himalayan made in India from English engineering and no issues with the bike.  It is true that Harley is going to assemble some bikes in other countries for that region's market to get around tariffs. 
This is different than the Japanese manufacturers getting bikes assembled in Thailand for import into the US, or European manufacturers getting bikes assembled in Thailand and India for import into the US.

My Nissan Titan is more American than GM, Ford, or Ram.

Not so much anymore with Ford.
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline cloudbase

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2020, 04:26:01 PM »
They'll sell twice as many of those as they will Live Wires.

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2020, 04:41:36 PM »
Maybe this is a step in the right direction.  Win on Sundays , sell them on Mondays.

That hasn't worked in years.  In the motorcycle industry, I'm not sure it's ever worked.  If it did, Suzuki would be the biggest motorcycle seller in the country.  Back in the 1990's Mat Maladin and Ben Spies won every AMA road race Yoshimura Suzuki entered.  Sadly nobody in this county pays any attention to motorcycle racing.  Ever been to the Daytona 200?  The stands are empty. 

Oh, by the way.  Harleys do not suck.  They weigh too much and cost too much, but they still don't suck.  The length of this thread proves that.  Imagine if a Moto Guzzi discussion could stir up as much interest on a Harley blog....Nah!

Online willowstreetguzziguy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2020, 04:42:18 PM »
I think the new Bronx is a great move in the right direction! It may have a slow sales start in the beginning but I believe when non-Harley riders see the new, first of it's kind "Naked Sport" Harley, (without a barcalounger riding position), I think it will do well. The old Haley types are getting older and fewer. No they will not be attracted to a this sport bike but that's not whose coming up through the ranks... it's the younger riders who have been turned off by the Harley bikes & image. This is a fresh start! I hope it is a raving success. I live 2 mile from our HD dealer and I will take it for a test ride to see what its like. It will take a lot to take me off my 1200 Sport!
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 
1993 BMW K75S Pearl White (sold)
"Going somewhere isn't why you ride, riding is why you go!"    Moto Guzzi... because the only person I have to impress is me.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here