Author Topic: Some things we stay away from on WG  (Read 6301 times)

Offline SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
  • uh.... it's personal....
Re: Some things we stay away from on WG
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2020, 08:52:30 PM »
I for one, like the campfire story standard. 

And......like like telling tall tales and good naturedlly shoveling BS at the campfire, rather get upset..... I believe the proper campfire etiquette to be to sneeze into your shirt sleeve:

"AH-CHOO  BULLSHIT!"

If those of you who actually graduated from charm school know different, I'd appreciate your sophisticated advice.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 09:05:56 PM by SIR REAL ED »
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
1994, 2001, & 2002 MZ Skorpions
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2020, 08:54:03 PM »
OK , about "drivel" . There has always been a certain amount of off topic , or drivel on WG , and sometimes I can't or won't try to define it or delete  threads that might seem silly or non Guzzi related . Basically if a topic is suitable for a campfire discussion at a rally it will be alright on the board . Is a topic interesting to other members , is it educational , does it stir memories ? Music , literature , UFO's , questions about home repair , computers , etc . Over the years some of the best threads have been about sailing , Johnr , our Kiwi friend know gone to the other side was a wealth of information on the subject and could keep us interested for weeks on the subject .

Then their is a common interest in basketball that Muzz and Injun Dave and I share,mostly because Steven Adams played here in Oklahoma . I am loathe to stop threads where members are having fun and sharing interests . Keep them civil and free of the problems areas and things will be fine .

Does this help ?
 Dusty

Dusty, I could care less what gets posted on wildguzzi.  I have participated in some of the off topic threads.

I was just answering the post showing that it isn't that simple.

BTW: there is nothing I would post on this forum that I wouldn't say to a persons face.   :grin:  This forum is like a campfire and guys around a campfire bust each others chops from time to time.   :bow:

2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2020, 10:16:06 PM »
OK , about "drivel" . There has always been a certain amount of off topic , or drivel on WG , and sometimes I can't or won't try to define it or delete  threads that might seem silly or non Guzzi related . Basically if a topic is suitable for a campfire discussion at a rally it will be alright on the board . Is a topic interesting to other members , is it educational , does it stir memories ? Music , literature , UFO's , questions about home repair , computers , etc . Over the years some of the best threads have been about sailing , Johnr , our Kiwi friend know gone to the other side was a wealth of information on the subject and could keep us interested for weeks on the subject .

Then their is a common interest in basketball that Muzz and Injun Dave and I share,mostly because Steven Adams played here in Oklahoma . I am loathe to stop threads where members are having fun and sharing interests . Keep them civil and free of the problems areas and things will be fine .

Does this help ?
 Dusty

I can't believe they traded Adams.   The Thunder are just starting from scratch now.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

oldbike54

« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2020, 10:23:43 PM »
I can't believe they traded Adams.   The Thunder are just starting from scratch now.

Muzz asked if he would be considered a traitor if he rooted for the Pelicans , so we decided to both be fans of them . Paired with Zion they should be pretty stout down low.

Dusty

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2020, 10:23:43 PM »

Offline Mr Pootle

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2020, 02:58:30 AM »
Before I bought my V7 in 2016 I toyed with the idea of an Indian Scout, and hung around an Indian forum for a while. I believe that an election was approaching in the USA, and the bile that streamed from both sides was unbelievable to an outsider. I lapped it up with horrified fascination, then turned to this site for a bit of sanity, and to remind myself what Americans were really like.
Keep on keeping politics, religion and Liverpool FC out of this site.

Offline flower_king001

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2020, 05:19:14 AM »
I have been an owner and a mod for several groups over the years and know all of the emotional ups and downs. Folks sending PM's to the mods. phones calls ect. IMHO, the mod's can't have it both ways as if you read the rules of the list. You see it all the time with "these" lists when threads go off-course (you wouldn't if the mods followed their own rules) and then their faithful servants chime in and tell them how great they are and how much they appreciate all of their efforts. This group like many is ran by mods who will pick and choose what topics they let run and which not. The mods will also censor any posts by so called members that they don't like.

I'm all for a dedicated Guzzi/motorcycle forum just like the rules are when you join. If you desire a fair open forum/campfire discussion then the mods should just let it go. Note, with many of these off-topic posts the fire will soon die out and we can continue with more important Guzzi related posts.

General Discussion

1. No un-justified personal or dealer attacks. 2. Keep the content motorcycle related. There is no room for politics, guns, religion, spam, click-bait, etc. 3. There is no room for "raunchy" posts with adult or mature content. This includes strategically covered nudity, sheer or see-through clothing, lewd or provocative poses, close-ups of breasts, buttocks, or crotches. 4. Posting of for sale items allowed only in the classified section. Failure to adhere to these simple, common courtesy, common sense rules will result in your being banned to ever post on the Moto Guzzi Discussion site again. That being said, Enjoy the Guzzi talk. Luap McKeever

Current Fleet

1971 BMW R90/5
1986 Moto Guzzi Lemans IV 1000
1998 Moto Guzzi 1100 EV
2005 BMW 1200 RT
2007 BMW 1200 GS
2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 1100

Online Dave Swanson

• Gaggle Hero
  • Northern Illinois USA
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2020, 05:21:36 AM »
Aw man....  I guess I need to muster up the courage to read through the UFO thread now.   :rolleyes:
Dave Swanson - Northern IL
1935 GTS
1968 V700
1973 V7 Sport
1974 Eldo
1974 Police Eldo
1976 Convert
1977 Lemans 1.2
1980 T3 California
1993 1000S - Sparklehorse
2004 V11S - Eraldo-ized
2016 Griso SE - Beetle-ized
2021 V7-850 Stone Centenario
2022 V85TT Guardia d'Onore
2023 V100S

MGNOC L-780

Online Dave Swanson

• Gaggle Hero
  • Northern Illinois USA
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2020, 05:22:39 AM »
Dusty,  the job you do is always appreciated by me, but seldom have the chance to say Thank You!!
Dave Swanson - Northern IL
1935 GTS
1968 V700
1973 V7 Sport
1974 Eldo
1974 Police Eldo
1976 Convert
1977 Lemans 1.2
1980 T3 California
1993 1000S - Sparklehorse
2004 V11S - Eraldo-ized
2016 Griso SE - Beetle-ized
2021 V7-850 Stone Centenario
2022 V85TT Guardia d'Onore
2023 V100S

MGNOC L-780

Offline flower_king001

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2020, 05:23:34 AM »

BTW: there is nothing I would post on this forum that I wouldn't say to a persons face.   :grin:  This forum is like a campfire and guys around a campfire bust each others chops from time to time.   :bow:

I could not agree  more with twowheeladdict here!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2020, 05:57:09 AM by flower_king001 »
Current Fleet

1971 BMW R90/5
1998 Moto Guzzi 1100 EV
2005 BMW 1200 RT
2007 BMW 1200 GS

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2020, 05:55:38 AM »
I like the drivel.

I wouldnt check this board every day if it was 100% "How many cc's of oil go in the left leg of a Convert fork" and "what tire sizes can you run on a '72 850-T"
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline flower_king001

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2020, 05:58:09 AM »
I like the drivel.

I wouldnt check this board every day if it was 100% "How many cc's of oil go in the left leg of a Convert fork" and "what tire sizes can you run on a '72 850-T"

drivel is fine then change the rules and open up the campfire
Current Fleet

1971 BMW R90/5
1998 Moto Guzzi 1100 EV
2005 BMW 1200 RT
2007 BMW 1200 GS

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2020, 08:10:38 AM »
I have been an owner and a mod for several groups over the years and know all of the emotional ups and downs. Folks sending PM's to the mods. phones calls ect. IMHO, the mod's can't have it both ways as if you read the rules of the list. You see it all the time with "these" lists when threads go off-course (you wouldn't if the mods followed their own rules) and then their faithful servants chime in and tell them how great they are and how much they appreciate all of their efforts. This group like many is ran by mods who will pick and choose what topics they let run and which not. The mods will also censor any posts by so called members that they don't like.

I'm all for a dedicated Guzzi/motorcycle forum just like the rules are when you join. If you desire a fair open forum/campfire discussion then the mods should just let it go. Note, with many of these off-topic posts the fire will soon die out and we can continue with more important Guzzi related posts.

How'd you get away with having this post up for 3 hours?   Amen, brother.

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2020, 08:14:40 AM »

Lannis

OK, that's funny - I don't care WHO you are.

:boozing: :boozing: :boozing:

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2020, 08:15:32 AM »

Lannis

We don't have a ROTFLMAO emoticon?  Because that is was doing when I saw this post!
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

elvisboy77

« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2020, 08:23:06 AM »
Hey Dusty. 

You know how each poster has a little badge indicating if and when they donated to the forum?  How about another little badge indicating if the poster has been naughty or nice.  Might encourage better behavior. 

I’m kinda serious.   I’d like to see who are the Andrew Dice Clay types on WG.

Great idea!  Let's also add one for whether or not you have been vaccinated, and other important social metrics.  It could be very helpful!

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2020, 08:27:47 AM »
Great idea!  Let's also add one for whether or not you have been vaccinated, and other important social metrics.  It could be very helpful!

How about just embedding a chip in the base of our skulls.   :rolleyes:
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2020, 08:29:11 AM »

Like the UFO thread, SO hard to tell when people are serious or just shining you on to get a reaction.   I get snagged all the time, unfortunately ...

Lannis

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2020, 08:35:06 AM »
Like the UFO thread, SO hard to tell when people are serious or just shining you on to get a reaction.   I get snagged all the time, unfortunately ...

Lannis

I watched a video on that exact subject where they used actor's interviews to show which ones you could tell were being sarcastic, and which ones appeared to be serious.

On a forum, the use of emoticons, or j/k lets the reader know your not being serious.  Not using emoticon leaves it up to the reader to determine intent which sometimes has to be based on the body of posts by that person. 
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline larrys

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2020, 08:35:21 AM »
The aliens told me that I have one already. They said don't try to find it and dig it out, it's made from a substance that our technology cannot detect.
Larry
'13 Monster 1100 EVO
'95 Cal 1100
'68 Bonneville

MGNOC 7248

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2020, 08:38:33 AM »
The aliens told me that I have one already. They said don't try to find it and dig it out, it's made from a substance that our technology cannot detect.
Larry

I had one installed.   It did not in ANY way negatively affect me affect me affect me affect me affect me affect me affect me affect me affect me affect me affect me affect me affect me affect me affect me affect me affect me affect me affect me affect me affect me affect me  ..

Lannis4657prime

Offline n3303j

• Ron Cichowski
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2020, 08:49:24 AM »
Just transfer the "swipe" chip from your Visa. One & done.
'98 MG V11 EV
'96 URAL SPORTSMAN
'77 MG 850T3 FB

oldbike54

« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2020, 08:54:20 AM »
 This isn't open for debate .

Dusty

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2020, 08:54:54 AM »
Just transfer the "swipe" chip from your Visa. One & done.

Of course the CC chip would need to be in the back of our hands for easy transactions.   :blank:

Just being on the internet our data is everywhere.

My wife made a reservation through VRBO.  She used a credit card that is in her name only, used an email address that is not shared, created a new account with only her information, and the receipt on the reservation had my name one it.  WTF?  The company couldn't explain how that happened. 

2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #53 on: December 22, 2020, 08:57:36 AM »
Moderating this forum or any form is not simple nor is it a black and white issue. Rules on a forum are like laws, there’s the “letter of the law” and there’s the “spirit of the law”.
I don’t think there’s not anyone here would appreciate being ticketed for 56 in a 55 MPH ZONE! In these law cases where that spirit of the law line is decided by an individual officer and can range from 1 mph over to 12+ in some situations. Some speeders may get a warning ticket and some may get a warning while others pay the fine. The moderators position is the same.  Decisions on issues must be made from a collection of information the moderators are aware of such as, a particular members habits, the subject etc.
Bottom line is simple. This forum and every forum that is a fun and comfortable place to hang out must have moderators, period!
My view on this subject is the same as it was when I did the job of a LEO. You don’t know the complete picture of the job description until you walk a mile in the mans, or woman’s, shoes.
Let’s just be honest. 90 percent of the posts which get deleted or warnings giver would not have had to be addressed if we would simply address each other with respect and in a non-Condescending manor.
I’m just grateful we have this forum, and personally I enjoy it to much to abuse it.

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2020, 09:03:26 AM »
Moderating this forum or any form is not simple nor is it a black and white issue. Rules on a forum are like laws, there’s the “letter of the law” and there’s the “spirit of the law”.
I don’t think there’s not anyone here would appreciate being ticketed for 56 in a 55 MPH ZONE! In these law cases where that spirit of the law line is decided by an individual officer and can range from 1 mph over to 12+ in some situations. Some speeders may get a warning ticket and some may get a warning while others pay the fine. The moderators position is the same.  Decisions on issues must be made from a collection of information the moderators are aware of such as, a particular members habits, the subject etc.
Bottom line is simple. This forum and every forum that is a fun and comfortable place to hang out must have moderators, period!
My view on this subject is the same as it was when I did the job of a LEO. You don’t know the complete picture of the job description until you walk a mile in the mans, or woman’s, shoes.
Let’s just be honest. 90 percent of the posts which get deleted or warnings giver would not have had to be addressed if we would simply address each other with respect and in a non-Condescending manor.
I’m just grateful we have this forum, and personally I enjoy it to much to abuse it.

Very nicely put Dan.

Let me ask you this.  As a LEO, if constantly let women off with a warning and always gave a ticket to men 25 - 35 years old, would you be considered a LEO who interprets the law fairly?

If you always were giving more leeway to drivers with certain bumper stickers and stricter to drivers with certain bumper stickers would you be interpreting the law fairly?

2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #55 on: December 22, 2020, 09:14:22 AM »
Very nicely put Dan.

Let me ask you this.  As a LEO, if constantly let women off with a warning and always gave a ticket to men 25 - 35 years old, would you be considered a LEO who interprets the law fairly?

If you always were giving more leeway to drivers with certain bumper stickers and stricter to drivers with certain bumper stickers would you be interpreting the law fairly?
Years ago rding with our daughter when suddenly she says Oh SHIT, she ran past a parked cop car while speeding....The cruiser  follows and gives the signal to pull over.....So she starts fluffing her hair and putting on an attractive  look... Then another Oh Shit as she looks in the mirror to see it's a female cop..

Offline n3303j

• Ron Cichowski
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #56 on: December 22, 2020, 09:18:06 AM »
Years ago rding with our daughter when suddenly she says Oh SHIT, she ran past a parked cop car while speeding....The cruiser  follows and gives the signal to pull over.....So she starts fluffing her hair and putting on an attractive  look... Then another Oh Shit as she looks in the mirror to see it's a female cop..
Good thing that gender thing doesn't matter anymore.  :evil:
'98 MG V11 EV
'96 URAL SPORTSMAN
'77 MG 850T3 FB

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2020, 09:19:35 AM »

LOL!  Good one. 

I had a 40 minute conversation with a police chief of a small town that I rolled through too fast on the Concours.  At the end of our conversation I asked him, "now that we are friends, is there something you can do about this ticket?" 

He said if it had been under 15 over he would tear it up, but he did tell me to go to his office to pay and that they wouldn't turn it in to the state to be reported to the insurance.  I thought that was fair. 

I did learn a lot about the behaviors of drivers who try to evade.  They tend to follow certain patterns that I now know to avoid doing.  :shocked: :huh:
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #58 on: December 22, 2020, 09:43:38 AM »
Very nicely put Dan.

Fair question TWA, unfortunately there is no simple answer.
I think there can even be a situation where we can become convinced that we are being singled out for one reason on another. I’ve been in that situation many times in the course of my life, on the job as well as in a social environment. I’ve even felt that way in a church for crying out loud😂
I’ve came to the point where when in this type of situation I did this. I have always had friends that were my mentors, spoken or unspoken. They were folks that I knew would give me a honest straight foreword answer and run a scenario by them that I didn’t include myself as the victim and listen to their take. You’d be surprised to know the times I found myself in the position of being wrong or not completely in a position of being completely right.
That being said, I’ve also found myself in situations where I was completely right but in no position to change anything. In those situations I simply backed out and either conformed or just left. We as individuals sometimes must make the tough decisions.
Hopes this helps my friend 👍

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #59 on: December 22, 2020, 09:52:24 AM »
Fair question TWA, unfortunately there is no simple answer.
I think there can even be a situation where we can become convinced that we are being singled out for one reason on another. I’ve been in that situation many times in the course of my life, on the job as well as in a social environment. I’ve even felt that way in a church for crying out loud😂
I’ve came to the point where when in this type of situation I did this. I have always had friends that were my mentors, spoken or unspoken. They were folks that I knew would give me a honest straight foreword answer and run a scenario by them that I didn’t include myself as the victim and listen to their take. You’d be surprised to know the times I found myself in the position of being wrong or not completely in a position of being completely right.
That being said, I’ve also found myself in situations where I was completely right but in no position to change anything. In those situations I simply backed out and either conformed or just left. We as individuals sometimes must make the tough decisions.
Hopes this helps my friend 👍

You are a wise man.   :cool:
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here