Author Topic: California 1400 Sat Nav Connection  (Read 456 times)

Offline tonyj

• New Egg
California 1400 Sat Nav Connection
« on: April 19, 2021, 08:54:51 AM »
Hi Gents, I am considering purchasing a Zumo XT for my California 1400 Touring.  The ideal mounting position seems to be slap bang in the middle of the handlebar yokes, so just a glance down from the speedo is perfect.  My question is getting power to the Zumo? 

Do I have to run the wires directly to the battery or is there a spare power take off point near the tank.   Having no knowledge of bike electrics (or what to look for to be honest) has anyone already sorted this issue?
By all means send me a photo to point me in the right direction.  I just wanted the wiring to be a inconspicuous as possible, so when the satnav was removed there weren't leads blowing in the breeze.

Thanks

Tony

motorcop

Re: California 1400 Sat Nav Connection
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2021, 09:14:26 AM »
Tony

There is a power cable under the right side of  tank, taped to the frame. It uses the same connection as BMW. It is a 3 wite connector. A hot, a ground and a lead for a speed sensor. You will only use the hot and ground. Ignore the speed sensor lead. You do have to reverse the wires. The #2 is always ground on BMW but its hot on the Guzzi. I just soldered the harness to the Garmin harness and plugged it in.

Chuck

motorcop

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2021, 09:18:49 AM »

Offline tonyj

• New Egg
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2021, 03:19:04 PM »
Thanks Chuck, I'll do some digging around

Tony

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2021, 03:19:04 PM »

Offline Dave_NWTrophy

• New Egg
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2021, 07:37:07 PM »
Mine wasn't behind the left cover or taped to the frame (as it is supposed to be), it was laying in the valley on top the alternator, so you may have to move the tank back slightly to find it.  If you move the tank, be sure to remove the false valve covers, and tape the lower edge of the tank all the way back, as it is likely it will contact either the valve covers or injector covers in the process  BMW did make a 2 wire plug, part number 83300402344, but I believe it has been discontinued.

Dave

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here