Author Topic: Five Days On My Loop  (Read 859 times)

Offline cappisj1

• Gosling
Five Days On My Loop
« on: June 01, 2021, 08:01:11 PM »
Leaving in the morning from central Illinois on my 73 Eldorado for 5 days. Meeting 3 others at pikes peak state park in Iowa as a base camp. I will send pics as we go. Looking for someplace called bathtub springs and a place that a river runs through a rock.

Good thing I am leaving cause I keep adding stuff. The Norge gives me tons of room. I have a trunk for the Eldorado but I like the look without better.

Really looking forward to doing this on the Eldo.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 08:02:56 PM by cappisj1 »

Online Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Five Days On My Loop
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2021, 08:18:11 PM »
That's a beautiful part of Iowa, the Indian mounds nearby are spectacular. There was a German place in Guttenburg that was good too. I sat and watched a barge pass through the lock & dam there one evening.  :thumb:
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2021, 09:55:25 PM »
Shakedown run for IA rally. Don't forget to go to the boat, might even win some. There's a nice ferry around there too. Nice riding.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2021, 10:13:32 PM »
Cassville ferry
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2021, 10:13:32 PM »

Online chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2021, 07:53:15 AM »
Jealous
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Offline cappisj1

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2021, 04:27:45 PM »
Day one and 304 trouble free miles. Got this bike in September. It’s got lots of “patina” but mechanically the last owner kept up with it. I did put new piston and cylinders on because the right side was flaking. All the time to set and reset points, timing, valves and breaking it back in really paid off. So happy tonight.

Big thanks to everyone that helped with my questions up to this point!!

oldbike54

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2021, 04:56:56 PM »
  :thumb:

Dusty

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2021, 06:44:26 PM »
  :thumb:

Dusty

What Dusty said.  :smiley: :boozing: The Kid just traded his Grease O for an Eldo and some money. He said he's liking the old girl.. :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline cappisj1

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2021, 08:02:05 PM »
Supper and my new buddies. That deer could care less that I was walking past her.

Offline cappisj1

• Gosling
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2021, 03:16:58 PM »
Day two. 280 miles. Lots of stops checking things out and some gravel roads in the morning. Elkader sure is quite when it’s not rally time.

Online bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2021, 03:56:48 PM »
Awesome ride! Its cool that these old loops are still up to the task of doing  serious touring duty. I would ride my 73 anywhere! Keep the photos coming, they are really cool. :thumb:
Rick
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline cappisj1

• Gosling
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2021, 07:20:23 PM »
Just over 200 miles today. Thought I was in trouble and it was gona be bad. I had just left a park and the bike started missing and backfiring on me. 100 things ran through me head. Still on the road with it running rough, start with the easy stuff. First thing was fuel. Yup forgot to turn the fuel on...

Offline cappisj1

• Gosling
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2021, 08:44:12 AM »
1,333 miles in all. Not a hint of trouble until.... leaving a stop sign in the middle of nowhere I hear a pop and the bike lurched forward on its own and died. Yup the clutch cable from 1973 broke. I tried a couple things and decided the heck with it. Another guy stopped to help me. So I looked at the map and found the most direct way to the interstate. I had the guy push me as I had the bike in second and hit the starter. Between the starter pulling and the guy pushing it started. I did have to do 4-5 little circles at one intersection to find a break in traffic. I had to make one fuel stop and got another push to start again. So I rode around 200 miles and only put my feet down once.

upload images

Offline jhem68

• Hatchling
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2021, 09:57:46 AM »
https://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=135&products_id=2209

I carried something very similar to this back in the late 70's early 80's when I was running a Harley 80" FLH which would break the clutch cable every 10,000 miles or yearly, which ever came first. It usually gave a one pull warning and would break on the next pull of the clutch, and so a roadside repair would get me home without the calisthenics. Put one in the windshield bag and it will probably never happen again.

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2021, 10:05:04 AM »
Always a good idea to carry spare cables...
Charlie

Offline Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2021, 10:23:54 AM »
I had something similar happen to me. I was in the Army on my way back to post in Denver at the end of a two week leave. I was riding my R75/5 and was in Ohio when I stopped for gas. As I pulled back out it felt like the bike had a hinge in the middle as it was shaking quite badly. I looked it over real well and foung nothing wrong but it did it again and everytime I started up from a start. But once I got going it smoothed out. So I decided I would stop only for gas. I had the 6.3 gallon tank so I could go 300 miles without stopping. I had my doubts but I made it back to Denver. After the ordeal I pulled the trans to check the clutch. It turned out the the cage holding ball bearings in the input shaft bearing was gone allowing the balls to spin around loosely. Thus the input shaft would wooble around causing the horrible vibration until it could self center itself during upshifts. What caused the failure is another story but was caused by me as well as BMW.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Online Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2021, 12:02:02 PM »
I like to keep a spare wire tied to my clutch cable I'm using. You'll never break one if you do this  :thumb:
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here