Author Topic: Running tubeless  (Read 2366 times)

Offline ray bear

• Gosling
Re: Running tubeless
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2023, 11:47:09 PM »
Have been running tubeless on most of my spoked wheel bikes for many miles and will never look back, but you either listen to all the nay sayers or you dont . If you pop the bead what in the hell are you doing out there, you will do as much damage with tube or without to your wheel and if you want to go back to tube just pop the tire and put a tube in and dont use a rim tape because you will have a permanent tape in place . Best of both worlds just that tubeless  you can fix a flat in 15 minutes and your away again. Ray
73 V7 sport
73 Eldo police special
68 BSA rocket 3
74 Norton Commando
78 Honda CBX 1000
47 HRD vincent Rapide
XT 500 Yamaha
76 Convert
84 FLHX limited edition electra glide

Offline jacksonracingcomau

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2023, 03:17:54 AM »
Have been running tubeless on most of my spoked wheel bikes for many miles and will never look back, but you either listen to all the nay sayers or you dont . If you pop the bead what in the hell are you doing out there, you will do as much damage with tube or without to your wheel and if you want to go back to tube just pop the tire and put a tube in and dont use a rim tape because you will have a permanent tape in place . Best of both worlds just that tubeless  you can fix a flat in 15 minutes and your away again. Ray

Same here, all my Guzzis tubeless now
Stopped carrying a tube & levers a few years ago now, after 40 years at least of always carrying them
Not sure that’s totally wise as my last puncture (bicycle with a tube) slashed the sidewall, rare but …..

Offline 9fingers

• Gosling
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2023, 06:24:51 AM »
I used the Outex kit for my 2020 V7III Special rear wheel and I have around 9,000 miles miles and one tire change in that time. Initially I had a slow leak around 2 nipples and my tire guy recommended I try slime highway tire sealant (they make a few versions) and to make sure I spread it on the spoke side of the rim. I haven't lost significant pressure since. I add a few  pounds every few months. I buggered the installation slightly and knew it when I did it so the 2 spokes leaking was not a real surprise. I haven't wanted to devote an entire day to doing the front wheel so I just pumped that tube full of Slime and have been lucky so far. I have a friend that did Outex on both wheels on his Royal Enfield 650GT and his has been perfect for 2 or 3 years. Anyway you do it, prep, prep, prep is key!
Scott
Current bikes:
V7 III Special - Sophia
Royal Enfield Classic Chrome 500 Bullet - Guinevere
Suzuki V Strom 650 - Rita
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL250 custom
Honda TL125
Yamaha TY350

Offline Stretch

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2023, 07:24:19 AM »
This link is from John A's post on this forum about wheel manufacturing.

At about the 21 minute mark, this is how they do it at Central Wheel Components
in England. More involved than the DIY stuff, but interesting nonetheless.

url]https://youtu.be/2i4wY7HbVcw[/url]

-Stretch
1967? Change Jiang M1M
1978 Yamaha SR500
1987 BMW K75S
2011 Kawasaki KLR650
2011 Triumph Rocket III Touring
2015 Triumph Trophy
2017 Moto Guzzi 1400 California Touring

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2023, 07:24:19 AM »

Offline krglorioso

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2023, 12:16:33 PM »
I converted both of my former Stone Touring hydros to tubeless with excellent results until the bikes became too heavy for me as I passed my 80th year.  My present Breva 750 has cast wheels so no need to convert these.

My '21 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 has lovely spoked wheels but per usual these come standard with tubes.  I just completed a tubeless conversion a month ago and not a bit of lost pressure to date.  I use a very tenacious sealant on the spoke nipple heads and a layer of 3-M Sealant Tape over the wheel rim's "valley". 

I strongly encourage anyone contemplating such a conversion to go for it, do it carefully and be at peace on long trips over desolate roads.  As long as you carry a tubeless tire repair kit and miniature air pump you're good to go.

Ralph
Ralph
"You don't stop riding because you got old; you got old because you stopped riding".

2004 Moto Guzzi Breva 750
2017 Honda CB-500F
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here