Author Topic: automotive fuse quqlity  (Read 447 times)

Online 73 sport

• Hatchling
automotive fuse quqlity
« on: November 07, 2023, 05:50:41 PM »
    An extremely informative video on "Blade Fuse Quality" : On ,Google, "Automotive Fuses-Does the brand really matter?                                                                           

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
Re: automotive fuse quqlity
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2023, 11:30:17 PM »
Wow,It sure does not pay to buy the cheap harbor freight fuses. We should buy Littlefuse, or Buss brand  fuses. I am guilty of owning a bunch of those cheapies. I am going to throw them all out and buy an assortment of brand name stuff.  My Dad used to say.... "Lo barato sale caro"  translates basically to "Cheap stuff cost you  more in the long run"
This is a prime example!  I bought some of the cheap imitation " VW type " fuses to fit the tonti fuse box, on e bay, and the metal ends were not pointed like they should be, to stay in the holders little holes. They were rounded,and would pop right out after a while.  Those are going in the trash as well.
thanks for the heads up.
Rick D.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline guzziart

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2023, 06:37:29 AM »
Same goes for knock off Ty-raps, electrical tape, wire, wire connectors, bearings, seals, hardware & some tools...imho.
'71 CB350, '72 Eldo, '72 CL350, '81 CB125s, '87 LMIVSE, '91 CT70, '03 V11 Lemans, '08 Wing  ('12 Wee Strom - R.I.P.)

Offline guzzista

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2023, 03:14:16 PM »
In regards to GBC fuses ( bullet ends,  aka Torpedo , common on older Guzzis as well as  older European cars) the change from ceramic to plastic, with the added bonus of clamping/ connection issues of old fuse boxes, can bring all kinds of grief. After working on a Porsche 356 many years ago, I  learned from the owner about using  glass Bussman GBC fuses .
Since then that is all I have purchased / installed and , of course making sure clamping contact at the fuse box is solid. No longer available at auto parts stores, they can be found on EBay.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2023, 02:18:19 AM by guzzista »
1975 750S Tribute bike, 1994 Cali 1100, 2007 Ducati GT1000, 1983 SP1000, 1973 V7Sport project, 2017 California1400 Touring

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2023, 03:14:16 PM »

Offline wirespokes

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2023, 11:54:37 PM »
Thanks for the heads-up! I also have a bag of cheapie 15 amp blade fuses. I wonder what they're actually good for - what amperage?

Now I wonder what's the lowest resistance I can measure with my meter - a hundredth of an ohm? I'll have to check.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here