Author Topic: Motus merged threadfest  (Read 152472 times)

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Motus merged threadfest
« Reply #660 on: August 05, 2017, 04:57:04 PM »
Motorvation, in Mechanicsburg, PA just picked up Motus.

They had a demo event yesterday and today.   I went today and took the MST for a ride.    I LOVE the "Iron Ore Metallic" (orange) color!   

125 lb*ft or torque and under 600#.   Wow, this thing is a rocket ship.   It readily lifts the front wheel with out the help of the clutch in 2nd, and IIRC third gear :shocked:

The brakes are excellent, and ergonomics superb!   The Sargent seat is quite comfortable as I would expect, since I have one on my F800GT.

The clutch sounds about midway between a clutch Ducati and a Moto Guzzi.   The power train's character is very similar to a dry-clutch Ducati.    Riding it really reminded me of my old Breva 1100, only with a LOT more power.

Anyone that likes a sporting Guzzi would love this bike.   

Like others, I would've liked to have seen shaft drive on this, instead of a chain.   I would think that many people willing to spend this kind of change on a sport tourer aren't going to want to deal with a chain.

Other small niggles, are no handlebar controls to switch modes not he TFT display.   A few others who rode it today complained about the visibility of said display.    I would rather have analog gauges for the tach and speedo.

Another there, who rode one a couple years ago commented that the fit and finish of the bike we rode today was an improvement over the one he rode in 2015.   He said that the welds on the 2015 bike were not very good looking.   The fit and finish on this bike was very good.

Also, without ABS and traction control, many in this segment will likely opt for a BMW.     

But, overall, kudos to Motus, I'm happy to see a motorcycle produced in the US that is not a cruiser.    I wish them very well.    Hopefully, they'll expand their lineup to include something in the lower $20k range, which would be very enticing to me.

IMG_1567 by jay_snyder67, on Flickr
IMG_1566 by jay_snyder67, on Flickr
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 04:58:41 PM by jas67 »
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #661 on: August 06, 2017, 07:52:45 AM »
WOW!!  What a beautiful sport touring machine!  CONGRATS and safe riding!!! :thumb: :1: :cool:
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline rdbandkab

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #662 on: August 06, 2017, 07:59:49 PM »
Also, without ABS and traction control, many in this segment will likely opt for a BMW.

Hold the phone!  No ABS?

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #663 on: August 06, 2017, 08:51:33 PM »
Hold the phone!  No ABS?

:1:

You have to be kidding, right!
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #663 on: August 06, 2017, 08:51:33 PM »

Offline kirb

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #664 on: August 07, 2017, 01:39:25 PM »
I am a 2017 Motus owner after the original owner traded it in with 2800 miles. I was lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time to get a Motus at a price point that was were I tapped out when they announced pricing.

No, it doesn't have ABS. No, it doesn't have Traction Control. Yes, it's a chain final drive. Yes, it has cruise control (and fly-by-wire throttle)

about the other comments-
The engine has torque for days, power rolls on in a linear fashion. Geared very tall to take advantage of that torque without being too snatchy.
Brakes are indeed excellent, but not over braked. This was a goal of Motus. My Diavel would be over braked by comparison.
Ergos are second to none. Fantastic seating space, seat is better than the Stelvio, and riding position is better than most ADV bikes.

The clutch isn't what's noisy. It's a wet clutch. You can't hear the clutch. What you are hearing is a noise gearbox. Mainly the engine shaft before it makes a 90 degree turn for all the other functions. The engine pulses are what causes the 'rattle'.

Chain drive isn't a big deal. Really, it's not. Modern x-ring chains are pretty bullet proof for 20k miles. Even without taking care of it much. The cost of heft of a shaft wasn't what Motus was going for- lightweight sporting was their goal.

There are no handlebar controls. LOTS of dash functions, but they are quite a distance from the rider. Most all you want to see is on the main dash (adjustable viewing too- digital, analog, various combos). I'll have an example posted soon on my blog page (below). The TFT display is pretty damn good in any lighting. It's at a high angle to eliminate reflection and the colors are such that it's easy to see.

Fit and finish are VERY good on the MSTR I have. The carbon is well done, welds are great (see blog for one exception), and everything seems top notch.

My usual comment is "it's not for everyone"

Blog: https://motusmstr.blogspot.com/

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #665 on: August 07, 2017, 02:47:31 PM »
I've been told...and I have read...that anyone who rides and appreciates a Guzzi will LOVE the Motus!! :1: :thumb: :cool: 

Would love to test ride one someday... :cool: :thumb: :1:

Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #666 on: August 07, 2017, 03:07:00 PM »
Chain drive isn't a big deal. Really, it's not. Modern x-ring chains are pretty bullet proof for 20k miles. Even without taking care of it much. The cost of heft of a shaft wasn't what Motus was going for- lightweight sporting was their goal.

I was recently directed toward DuPont Chainsaver.  It's available in spray and liquid.  It's a wax based lubricant with fine Teflon powder in it.  It isn't  sticky when dry, and it's very easy and non-messy to apply in either form.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #667 on: August 07, 2017, 04:53:01 PM »
I've been told...and I have read...that anyone who rides and appreciates a Guzzi will LOVE the Motus!! :1: :thumb: :cool: 

Having just rode one, this is very true!
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #668 on: August 07, 2017, 05:12:55 PM »
Having just rode one, this is very true!
I would think that you knowing me would know that statement is not universally true.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline alanp

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #669 on: August 20, 2017, 11:02:10 PM »
I left the Datil Rally early Sat. Morning to go to Dolores, CO to test ride a Motus MST with my buddy Bob.  I still can't get over there is dealer in Dolores, and it was quite a place.  In addition to Motus they also restore Vincent's, and had several gorgeous restorations on the floor...along with a host of other interesting bikes. They had 2 MSTs and an MSTR. 

Bob is a BMW guy through and through, and was just "along for the ride".  He knew nothing about a Motus.  Sam, the owner of Four Corners Motus, pulled out a red MST and started it for us.  I have to say that both Bob and I were awed by the thing.  What a machine, and what a glorious noise it makes.  I have never heard anything like it.  The bike really looks Italian to me, but more Ducati than Guzzi except for the engine.  Anyway, I hopped on and headed for Rico with Bob following on his 1200 GS.  About half way to Rico, I pulled over and swapped bikes with Bob.  Within 2 miles, we got pulled over for speeeding.   :copcar:
It was a complicated situation, but the LEO claimed he clocked us at 90 in a 55.  Yikes!  But then he said he didn't get a good lock on us and let us go with a warning.  Whew!  But it sort of took the fun out of the test ride and we headed back to the barn being careful to not speed (which is hard to do on this thing).

My impressions (and Bobs).
The bike is an awesome machine.  It is total quality, built like a tank, and sort of sounds like one too.  Has to be the most comfortable sport tourer ever made.  Stupid power.
 It's most outstanding feature to me is how it tracks and handles.  I have never been on a bike that comes close to Way this things feels, which is just perfect.  I really don't even have words for how solid and easy to control it is.  Effortless steering is a phrase that has been used before, but this thing sets the bar WAY HIGH.   On the Motus, I think I could go 90 and feel totally in control in a situation where I would be scared to do 70 on my FJR.  And the FJR is no slouch bike! 

But there is another side to the coin.  No ABS or TC.  I thought the wind protection was pretty poor, but there are 2 other screen options.  The LCD screen which serves as the gauges is small and hard to see in full sunlight.  And there are no handlebar controls.  The shift peg was hard to find (seemed too short), and I struggled to find neutral.  Otherwise the shifting was stiff, but pretty smooth.  The overall effect was a bike that seems an outstanding motive device, but which is a bit raw, rough, and crude compared to my FJR or Norge.  So, I think it would Second to none in the fun to ride category, but not so hot in the easy/relaxing to ride category. 

Bottom line for me is I am interested in one.  I see huge pluses but also some negatives compared to the FJR.  The Motus would be an exciting bike to ride, but maybe not easy enough to live with over the long haul.  I'm thinking on it....
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 11:04:30 PM by alanp »
Niwot, Colorado
'08 1200 Sport - Black
'16 V7II Stone - Black
Previous Guzzis
'07 Griso, '07 Norge, '03 California SS, '02 California SS, '02 V11 Lemans,  '83 Lemans III, '77 Lemans

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here