Author Topic: PSA: unmolested T5 for sale  (Read 14439 times)

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
Re: PSA: unmolested T5 for sale
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2015, 11:23:32 AM »
don't know what your problem is wayne, merely stating all the small valve 30mm carbed guzzis ive owned run outa steam around 5000rpm. maybe you hold a grudge on me? id suggest you hit the ignore button if that's the case

I have a small valve CX100 & 30 mm carbs.  It never ran out of steam @ 5K and in fact that's where the cam kicks in and it feels like a turbo just kicked in.  As usual you don't know WTF you're talking about.   :D   Maybe all your air filters were plugged up.

1 time I blew off a bunch of Harleys and their leader riding uphill between Bakersfield & Tehachapi just to show my 950cc Guzzi was faster than all their Harleys, including the modified 1 in front.  ;D  Afterward I slowed down to 65 mph and they wouldn't pass me till I gave them permission.  They showed me RESPECT !  8)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 12:45:05 PM by Arizona Wayne »

Offline zedXmick

• Gosling
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2015, 11:56:35 AM »
How diffucult would it be to upgrade the wheels on this  T-5, front and rear ?  Can you still find the 18 inch rims that the later models came stock with? Would you need to change out the whole front end to get the 18 inch front wheel to work? I am very interested in this motorcycle but not if it would be big $ to upgrade the wheels.
2010 VFR1200F  DCT

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2015, 12:39:46 PM »
How diffucult would it be to upgrade the wheels on this  T-5, front and rear ?  Can you still find the 18 inch rims that the later models came stock with? Would you need to change out the whole front end to get the 18 inch front wheel to work? I am very interested in this motorcycle but not if it would be big $ to upgrade the wheels.

I believe the other T-5s had a 16" front and 18" rear.   Before you condemn 16" rims ride a bike with them.  I went from a 18" front on my CX to a 16" T-5 front after I had a `87 LM IV that way.  It makes for lighter steering and I like how it falls into corners better.  I was also able to go from a 100/90-18 to a 110/90-16 tire so the front had more rubber on the road.   ;D  Switching a 16" rear is as simple as just changing tires to a 18" rear rim.  ;)   BTDT.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 12:43:13 PM by Arizona Wayne »

Offline Yeahoo Whoyah

• Gaggle Hero
  • 1971 LAPD Ambassador - 1976 Convert
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2015, 01:07:00 PM »
If these were anywhere near me, I'd be really tempted to buy one.   Why are these prices so low?  It can't only be the 16-inch wheels, and limited tire choices.

I think they're reasonable prices, not low prices.  The DC area bike Charlie posted looks quite nice. Located at the opposite end of US highway 50 - too long of a journey in February for me.
Greg Tillitson
El Dorado Hills Calif.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2015, 01:07:00 PM »

crc

« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2015, 01:15:41 PM »

As usual you don't know WTF you're talking about.   :D  

that's a fine claim from you wayne when a few posts above you claimed milles came with small valves and 30mm carbs, not all did ;D

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2015, 01:49:47 PM »

that's a fine claim from you wayne when a few posts above you claimed milles came with small valves and 30mm carbs, not all did ;D

All the 1s in the US did.  That was my reference, maybe to meet our CARB(Calif.) clean fuel standards so they could be sold in Calif.  Just like we got the CX100 w/949cc motor instead of the LM II 844cc motor over here. Otherwise the CX-LMII are the same bike.  ???
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 01:51:57 PM by Arizona Wayne »

Offline papatom

• New Egg
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2015, 02:26:53 PM »
I am kinda thinking about making a run at this one.  Problem is I can't get there til next weekend and weather is supposed to go bad around here then. 

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2015, 03:21:04 PM »

Please show me a stock US version Mille GT with 36 carbs and mid size valves like the 93 Strada.
I may eat these words but US Mille all had 30 mm carbs and small valves. I do not know about EU. They had the Mille earlier and later than just 89/90. I am not sure if US even saw a 91/92 US Mille. I have seen the 91 and 92 listed with 71 HP and 118 top speed with a tad bit more compression vs small valve 67 HP and 106 top speed. But I do not think 91/92 were imported to US. Here is a link to a 92 ad in AU with 71 HP mid valve engine. http://www.bikedata.net/moto-guzzi/moto-guzzi-mille-gt-1992
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 03:37:19 PM by redrider90 »
Red 90 Mille GT

Offline geoff in almonte

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2015, 03:32:18 PM »
The MK1 T5's came with 16" wheels.  The MK2 came with 18" rear and 16" front.

844cc, 30mm carbs, small valves.

Amongst all of my riding buddies machines, the only bikes the T5 could outrun were an SR500 Yamaha and a Moto Morini 3.5 (the 'Weenie Morini').

Having said that, the T5 is still running.  When I sold it in 1999 it had over 250k km on it.  Who knows how many it has accumulated since then.

Of course, YMMV.

G
Midnight bugs taste best

Offline Yeahoo Whoyah

• Gaggle Hero
  • 1971 LAPD Ambassador - 1976 Convert
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2015, 04:02:38 PM »
I am kinda thinking about making a run at this one.  Problem is I can't get there til next weekend and weather is supposed to go bad around here then. 

Which one?  Wisconsin or the one in northern Virginia, near D.C. ? Or both!?!
Greg Tillitson
El Dorado Hills Calif.

Offline papatom

• New Egg
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2015, 04:34:31 PM »
the one in Wisconsin was the one I was considering but something has come up and I will relinquish my dibs.  If its still around in a couple of weeks I could do it,  but not this upcoming weekend.

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2015, 05:12:05 PM »
I would not change the wheels to larger dia.  Would screw up the really nice handling.  The bike handles like it was 100lb light than it is.  And in parking lots it is a dream.

I like to keep the revs on mine over 4k when in tight curves, over 5k in sweepers.  I frequently rev it to 7k.  No, it isn't fast and one day I will put in a larger, hotter motor.  For now it does what I want, eating miles.

I 'complain' about selection in tires just because I'd love to be able to run something like PR4's, long wearing and good grip.  Right now I run a Pirelli Sport Demon on the front and a Shinko on the back.  I did run a Sport Demon on the back and it would keep up with just about any bike in a corner.  But, it only lasted 6k miles.  The Shinkos last 8k but are so much cheaper, and they have as much performance as I have riding ability  :)   BT45's are OK on it, just not as sticky as the Pirelli's.  The BT45 front also likes to 'weave' in rain grooves.  There are a few other choices too.

But, would I change to 17" or 18" wheels, NOPE.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2015, 10:46:10 PM »
This guy had a really sweet T5 build over at ADV... Unfortunately he seems to have run out of steam..

A lot of good ideas here tho

1984 Moto Guzzi 850-T5 Project ... Will it ever be cool http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=976111

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline geoff in almonte

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2015, 05:58:58 PM »
Mine I left alone, cosmeticly, mostly.  Except for the Corbin and the SPII fairing & lowers.

And the beefed up the front suspension.  950cc.  BUB 40mm Contis.  Mikuni 38mm Flatslides/K&N, Stage 1 (B12?) cam with beefed up valve springs, lightened flywheel, double plugged heads, Lucas/Rita ignition with Yamaha coils, Yamaha switchgear and way too many other little things to remember.

Went like a scared rabbit.  Lots of head shake when pushed in the corners (16" fr wheel?), but a loose grip on the bars, an increasing throttle and faith that the bike could handle it saw me thru every corner.

Cheers!

G
Midnight bugs taste best

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here