Author Topic: I like my Zumo....  (Read 4056 times)

Offline HDGoose

• Gaggle Hero
I like my Zumo....
« on: February 09, 2015, 12:52:14 PM »
...when it works.

I'm on my second replacement. So I now have over $1000 into the Zumo 550 line. Reliability is not there. Why would I spend money on any additional Zumo products?

Makes it hard to justify the expense of a new Zumo.

Offline Adk.IBO

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: I like my Zumo....
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 01:12:22 PM »
I've had zero issues with my 450. It stays on the bike 24/7 except when we take a trip in the cage. Never have done an update. Why fix what ain't broke I guess. I've had it for 6 or 7 years, installed on the Norge for 4 seasons. 28k miles or so. I need it for the speedometer function as I can't see the bikes speedo with my dog sitting on the tank in front of me, although I do use the GPS function also. Don't suppose this helps much, just my experience with the cheaper, left over model I bought. Wait...knock on wood...ow...that's my head!

Stay safe, John
'09 Norge new in '11, sold in '17, 37000 very good miles, thanks to this forum. '17 Roadster new in '17
Luke 23:34

Offline Jerryd

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 01:30:08 PM »
...when it works.

I'm on my second replacement. So I now have over $1000 into the Zumo 550 line. Reliability is not there. Why would I spend money on any additional Zumo products?

Makes it hard to justify the expense of a new Zumo.

Not sure why you're having problems? I have had my 550 since 2008. 2- 8000 mile trips and many shorter voyages both on the Guzzi and in the car. Probably 25K total. Its gotten beaten up, left under the car seat for months in the hot sun, rain storms on the bike, etc. I also use the XM antenna when I get bored singing to myself ::)

The only downside I guess is the limited map memory. I've had some issues over the years with map updates because I didn't have enough internal memory. I'm sure the newer models have solved that.
Jerry
Florida

Offline grinmaul

• New Egg
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 01:37:55 PM »
Have had mine since 07, has followed me from drz 400, 78 gl1000, 86 ns400 14 dorsoduro 750 and now a 14 stelvio. it is the most reliable piece of electronics i have ever owned:) it has had a big crack in the case for the last 2 years, still no problems.. i will not hesitate to get whatever the newest zumo there is when the time comes.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 01:37:55 PM »

Offline screamday

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, 01:59:11 PM »
Not sure why you're having problems? I have had my 550 since 2008. 2- 8000 mile trips and many shorter voyages both on the Guzzi and in the car. Probably 25K total. Its gotten beaten up, left under the car seat for months in the hot sun, rain storms on the bike, etc. I also use the XM antenna when I get bored singing to myself ::)

The only downside I guess is the limited map memory. I've had some issues over the years with map updates because I didn't have enough internal memory. I'm sure the newer models have solved that.

Same here.....I've had mine for a long time (don't remember when I bought it) and it's been down quite a few roads. Even used it in my car/truck before those vehicles were replaced with vehicles that have OEM NAV systems. Never had any problems except, as Jerryd said, with memory storage. The newer map updates are now broken down by region and I just download the region I need. Maybe someday I'll put an SD card in but for now everything works.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 01:59:44 PM by screamday »
Tony in SC
"Comfort the disturbed and Disturb the comfortable"
1988 R100RS
1998 V11 EV

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 02:01:38 PM »
 You only need one if you need to know where in the world you are.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline kirb

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 03:11:14 PM »
I have a 550. I've had it since '05 or '06. Added the XM antenna (for sale if anyone wants it, I gave up XM), road the heck out of it on an FJR, KTM990, Stelvio. I still use it all the time, but for GPS duties only now. It goes between my Stelvio, KTM, and truck.

The only trouble I have had was directly after I updated the maps (never doing that again) which was an easy fix. I also had the unit lock up on me in TX (removed/re-installed battery to fix). I had the screen flake out on me, bought the cheap ebay replacement (and spare) and put it in myself using online guides. I can't say it's been perfect, but I would buy another in a heartbeat. It's one of the best performing electronic bits I have ever bought with only one 'major' issue in 9ish years.

I don't want to upgrade due to the touratech mounts I have invested in.

father guzzi obrian

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2015, 04:46:57 PM »
I use my car Garmin with a nice vibration reducing mount on my Cal SS, it has the traffic dongle so it reroutes me around traffic in LA which is an advantage. It's 3 years old, cost $130 for a refurb plus about $35 for mounting gear, works great with blue tooth, and I just put it in a zip lock when the weather is bad.   So far, so good.  I like the Zumo, and it is better for motorcycling, but for what I need, my one Garmin works for my cars and bikes.
Cheers,
FGO

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2015, 05:21:53 PM »
My 660 lasts since 2009, 40000km. Not a single problem, only just replaced the screen, with new one from china, because it was scratched. Easy DIY job.
Paul

Daytona 1225, Stelvio 1151

Download Guzzidiag here: http://www.von-der-salierburg.de/download/GuzziDiag/

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here