Author Topic: Be Careful Selling on Craigslist  (Read 15498 times)

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Be Careful Selling on Craigslist
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2015, 06:53:57 PM »
???? Buying and/or selling guns on Craigslist ???? Not in my world. What planet are you living on?

Same one as you... Well, Wisconsin? If you're at all close to Madison, maybe not.

All depends upon what you're looking for and how you communicate. I've scored a sweet Ithaca 37, a 1917 Colt, a .410 Mossberg and others tangential to Clist ads and passed up a whole lot of trades which were not quite advantageous enough to follow through with.

What planet are you living on ???, the one with piss poor communication abilities or lack of lateral thinking ????

Clist is just another electronic dimension of the same old social/commercial intercourse available since print. No more or less dangerous than the penny saver - just a much broader net and perhaps a bit more greed motivation on the part of modern listers, buyers and miscreants. Then again, perhaps not.

Could just be the dog bite theory. Someone gets bit literally every day (hour-minute?) by a dog. Sometimes minor, sometimes chunks and sometimes death. However, let it be a dramatic enough scenario and for a time, every bite of otherwise lesser note is recorded and breathlessly passed on to the public by media whores and one would think the nation's dog owners are out of control.

4 million transaction not ending in larceny or a greater tragedy you don't hear about but let one transaction end in misadventure (whether or not, due to one side's short sightedness or greed) and Clist is the harbinger of the decline of the West.

Todd.
Todd
07 Calvin            77 TT500
95 Sport 1100      04 Breva 750
82 Katana           79 GS850G
72 "Crud"dorado
03 Barely Davidson 883 Huggy
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2015, 11:21:53 PM »
Maybe if you actually had a few friends, it wouldn't be so hard .... :o   ;)   :D  :D  :D

Lannis (How does one make that Warner Brothers "WHA wha whaaaa" sound without a mute and a trumpet .... )

No kidding, just mention you might ride 2 or 300 miles of curves in a day and in a state where most counties are dry and riding buddies avoid me like the plague. Oh well<shrug>
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline youcanrunnaked

• Gaggle Hero
  • '03 California EV; Suzuki SV650; Suzuki DR650
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2015, 11:36:02 PM »
Same one as you... Well, Wisconsin? If you're at all close to Madison, maybe not.

All depends upon what you're looking for and how you communicate. I've scored a sweet Ithaca 37, a 1917 Colt, a .410 Mossberg and others tangential to Clist ads and passed up a whole lot of trades which were not quite advantageous enough to follow through with.

What planet are you living on ???, the one with piss poor communication abilities or lack of lateral thinking ????

Calm yourself.  I believe the reference was to the fact that Craigslist does not allow the buying, selling or trading of firearms.  

http://www.craigslist.org/about/prohibited

« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 11:41:38 PM by youcanrunnaked »
"The transverse vibration is a great sensation -- hey, I think I just wrote a song!"
-- Billy Joel, Motorcyclist, 02/2012

"If Moto Guzzi were any more of a cult, you'd need a chicken."
--- Dan Neil, The Wall Street Journal, 04/19/2013

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2015, 02:13:45 AM »
This is the beauty of our little cyber community. All 4000 of us (worldwide?  :D ) who like Guzzis seem to congregate in only a few areas. A Guzzi turns up for sale? There is probably someone we know who has the straight dope on that bike. A problem seller gets exposed rather quickly around here.
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2015, 02:13:45 AM »

Offline Tobit

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2015, 09:24:49 AM »
Always good be careful and aware of you surroundings.  I've bought and sold a bunch of stuff on CL, right here in Memphis, which depending on which survey you look at, is the most violent city in the country or trying to be.

Never had a problem.

My most recent transaction involved me driving to Oxford MS to meet the seller in a Home Depot parking lot.  He had an Osprey Aether 90 backpack listed for $50 and I was ready to buy a brand new model, that day, for $350.  It's an older model, but hardly used, lightweight and was way too big for the seller.

Pre-sale conversations usually are enough to get a feel for the person.

Tobit

Roman, '86 LM IV

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol

tusong200

« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2015, 09:32:54 AM »
Calm yourself.  I believe the reference was to the fact that Craigslist does not allow the buying, selling or trading of firearms.  

http://www.craigslist.org/about/prohibited

Exactly. I guess I wasn't direct enough. Perhaps due to my piss poor communication skills.

Offline steamdriven NZ

• Gosling
  • simplify and add lightness
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2015, 09:26:59 PM »
In NZ we have TradeMe. It has a feedback system that anyone can look at, so if you are thinking of buying from someone you can view their profile and their feedback, including past items bought and sold.
I have from time to time NOT bid on stuff because of the picture that previous people painted of the seller.
Also they have an Address Verified system. They post you a letter to your address that you've given them, it contains a code. You send the code to TradeMe on your login, you get an AV beside your feedback rating.

Works for us.

When you spend more time spannering than using, you have reached toy saturation.....

'84 750 Monza (The Monzada)

Offline Monza-jockey

• Gosling
  • Rainer Lang
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2015, 10:10:06 PM »
I've sold a bunch of stuff through Craigslist. I like meeting at a busy place like a Starbuck's at a strip mall in the daytime. Bank parking lots are good too, if the sale isn't high dollar the buyer can use an ATM and get cash. I have a currency checking pen like stores use in case something seems sketchy.

Always good to be careful

The Good Faith thing still works. I bought a really good Lotus PFD (lifejacket). The seller said he wasn't able to meet me on time at his house: if I liked the PFD just put the cash in the mailbox, cool and done. Same thing with a Flatwave TV antenna, put cash in mailbox.
I don't always ride motorcycles, when I do,  I prefer  Moto Guzzi.

Keep riding, my friends...

1982 V50 Monza

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2015, 10:19:38 PM »
I sold off my scuba lead weights on Craigslist - two buyers. Each left about $75 " under the stick, just inside the fence ".
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here