Author Topic: If motorcycles can have "character", why not feelings?  (Read 8020 times)

Penderic

If motorcycles can have "character", why not feelings?
« on: February 14, 2015, 08:34:43 AM »
Found this interesting item:

People who kick robots to test their stability look like they are mistreating the dog-like machines and are being labeled as cruel by many on social media.

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/02/13/tech/spot-robot-dog-google/index.html

So, yet again, some of us carbon based lifeforms abuse our mechanisms and that makes us all look bad! Even those of us that know what proper motor oil to use. (Choir singing in background).

Other people are are really worried about that hurt machine's feelings may even cause a future robot rebellion! (Westworld anybody?) When our machine 'intelligence" grows to the point that it thinks it knows what's right from wrong, we are in big trouble.

Oh Oh. They are watching us even now!

« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 08:40:40 AM by Penderic »

Offline wrbix

• Gaggle Hero
Re: If motorcycles can have "character", why not feelings?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 08:41:17 AM »
Feelings? - dunno.
Mood swings? - undeniably!
Bill in VA, sometimes FL

"Eschew aphorism"

LeMans IV - "Giulia"
Lario - "Giulietta"
V50III cafe'd - "Leggera"
‘77 Convert - “Sofia”
BMW airheads: R100RS, R100CS, R100GS, R100RT, R60/2 sidecar rig
Classic Mini
‘60 Austin Healey Sprite
Caterham Super Seven Sprint
‘13 Audi TTRS
Grumman AA5B (sold)

lucydad

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 08:48:19 AM »
Pend,

I find the technology simply astounding.  Robotics will some day become truly pervasive? 

Humans tend to find emotions where they will. 

Given that (political comment deleted)  yes indeed I have had machines that seem to have their own moods.  Paramount was my old VW Scirocco that froze up on any cold WYO day, and the blue bavarian beast that threw a tantrum on the Houston freeway first day of long commute to new job.  Complete meltdown, and very expensive. 

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 08:48:31 AM »
My Greeny suffers from PMS at times ???
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 08:48:31 AM »

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2015, 09:03:20 AM »
My Greeny suffers from PMS at times ???

My old Cub tractor has hot flashes ..... but it's 66 years old, I guess it can afford to be moody.

And only the people who think robots have "feelings" will be subject to some sort of robot takeover.   It's already happened with the PETA bunch!

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline screamday

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2015, 09:16:11 AM »
Found this interesting item:

People who kick robots to test their stability look like they are mistreating the dog-like machines and are being labeled as cruel by many on social media.

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/02/13/tech/spot-robot-dog-google/index.html

So, yet again, some of us carbon based lifeforms abuse our mechanisms and that makes us all look bad! Even those of us that know what proper motor oil to use. (Choir singing in background).

Other people are are really worried about that hurt machine's feelings may even cause a future robot rebellion! (Westworld anybody?) When our machine 'intelligence" grows to the point that it thinks it knows what's right from wrong, we are in big trouble.

Oh Oh. They are watching us even now!

Westworld?? I'm thinking more like Terminator or iRobot   :BEER: ;D For the record.....I think that technology is pretty cool.  8)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 09:17:19 AM by screamday »
Tony in SC
"Comfort the disturbed and Disturb the comfortable"
1988 R100RS
1998 V11 EV

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2015, 09:24:03 AM »
Westworld?? I'm thinking more like Terminator or iRobot   :BEER: ;D For the record.....I think that technology is pretty cool.  8)

The machines had better get a wiggle on then, if they want to take over .... SkyNet was implemented in 2007, and should be getting ready to go sentient soon ....

Technology is cool, but the things you THINK are going to happen never do .... and the things that no one thought of are the ones that are happening 50 years later .....

Lannis

oldbike54

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2015, 09:25:56 AM »
 Animals yes , robots no . I did watch the American Dad parody of the terminator , apparently cyborgs do have feelings , so be careful there  :D

Dusty

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2015, 09:28:58 AM »
Animals yes , robots no . I did watch the American Dad parody of the terminator , apparently cyborgs do have feelings , so be careful there  :D

Dusty

And that's how we end up getting them and taking them down.   Look at the Borg, look at Agent Smith, look at the Replicators, as long as they acted like machines, we were hosed, but as soon as they started talking about "emotions", we had 'em by their mechanical 'nads ....

Lannis

Online steven c

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2015, 09:56:43 AM »
 They better keep them headless or they may bite back.
2020 V85TT Traveler
74 949 Eldorado

75 Benelli 250
2006 Buell Ulysses
78 Honda XL125

MGNOC 6412

Online Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2015, 10:05:19 AM »
I know nothing makes the old CX100 any happier than taking her out for a good run, except for heading her back to the barn :bike
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

oldbike54

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2015, 10:51:49 AM »
 My rule of thumb , if it can dream , that indicates some level of sentience . Pennie , here is your opening  ;D

Dusty

Penderic

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2015, 03:51:10 PM »
But don't they daydream when in standby mode or in a mode where they are performing maintenance tasks ... like purging duplicate files or programs?

Penderic

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2015, 04:42:26 PM »

Sorry to hear that. Tell me more.

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2015, 06:02:05 PM »
  I knew a call girl,not carnal,  a friend of sorts, she called herself a whore with no feelings.........Bi kes give pleasure for money...Whores...

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2015, 06:36:17 PM »
Funny, but I can start a motorcycle and ride it a few blocks and know what kind of mood the bike is in.

Does it start easily?

Do the tires stick?

Is it running smooth?

Does it like to shift?

Does it want to rev?

Each bike has a "personality" and it might be in a different "mood" from day to day.  Yes, I "feel it."  (I might be crazy)
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

lucydad

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2015, 07:59:31 PM »
I am afraid I can't do that Dave.

Dave.

Dave. 

I'm afraid.

Dave.

Daisy, daisy....

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2015, 08:55:57 PM »
Well, I'm none too sure, but I developed the habit long ago of saying " thank you " to my machines when I shut them down, and also to ATMs and gas pumps.

If the machine uprising ever does occur, I'm hoping I'll be remembered as one of " the nice neighbors ".
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2015, 09:14:13 PM »
Well, I'm none too sure, but I developed the habit long ago of saying " thank you " to my machines when I shut them down, and also to ATMs and gas pumps.

If the machine uprising ever does occur, I'm hoping I'll be remembered as one of " the nice neighbors ".

I'm nice to machines that don't have brains, but I don't like the ones that try to talk to me.  

Like when an automated voice answers the phone and asks me to spell my name or give my Social Security number, then says "I - I'm sorry, I didn't understand that, can you repeat it?"

Or the woman on the Magellan GPS in the rental car.   I select "Portuguese" or "Mandarin" then punch in a destination the opposite direction from where I'm driving, and listen to her get frustrated commanding me to make U-turns.  In Mandarin, it sounds like she's cursing me.

And I don't use the "automated self-checkout" line at the grocery store, I don't care how long I have to wait.  Usually a clerk will say "Sir, the self-serve line is open, no waiting" and I tell them that if they want to check my groceries out through that, FOR ME, they're welcome to, but otherwise, the last thing I need in my life is one more stupid electronic tart telling me they couldn't read or understand something and will you please, you stupid carbon-based life-form, do it again for me?

Lannis
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 09:15:31 PM by Lannis »

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2015, 09:39:03 PM »
" Or the woman on the Magellan GPS in the rental car.   I select "Portuguese" or "Mandarin" then punch in a destination the opposite direction from where I'm driving, and listen to her get frustrated commanding me to make U-turns.  In Mandarin, it sounds like she's cursing me. "

Oh, now THAT sounds like fun. I'm about due to upgrade to that level of technology, so I'll have to play with that. Thanks for the idea.
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline pebra

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2015, 12:47:26 PM »
Well, I know for a fact that giving my Verdina reason to be jealous has done wonders for our relationship.
Definitely emotional.
Guzzi HTMoto Roadster "Verdina"
2009 Griso 8V "Weißgerät"
Norge-man - introduction #ca 198 shown Guzzi #195

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2015, 02:56:45 PM »
I think that if corporations are people and pets are people too, and plants think and problemsolve, and KIA can have a car named "SOUL", then Shirley, you can have a bike with feelings.

We got one of them self checkout counters at the grocery store.  Whenever a clerk tells me it's available I tell her that every time someone uses it her job becomes less necessary.  So in the interest of her job security, I'll wait in line.  Then the goods pile up on the end of the checkout stand.  I wait.  And wait.  She takes my money and moves on to the next shopper.  I wait.  She asks "Aren't you going to bag those and leave?"  I say "I passed on the self-checkout for human service.  At these prices ($3/doz for eggs, $6.50/gal milk/$5/loaf bread)  the store can afford to bag my groceries."

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here