Author Topic: issues bleeding the rear brake  (Read 5498 times)

Offline buckaroo banzai

• New Egg
issues bleeding the rear brake
« on: June 04, 2015, 11:42:54 PM »
First I did try the search and it didn't work for me.  said unauthorized to search from that area... or something.

I have a 2008 motoguzzi Nevada and changed the rear brake pads. I have gotten air in the lines and have tried to bleed the brakes just using  the traditional  method.

And when I went to add fluid to the rear reservior there a black rubber funnel piece that's there. Can't figure out the purpose of it. Like a little rubber funnel. I'll take a picture of it tomorrow when it's daylight.

I can pump the brakes up and it never gets firm. Every once in a while you see an air bubble. And there doesn't seem to be any air coming out the nipple... solid stream of fluid.  Just wanted to know what the black rubber piece that looks like a funnel and any advice before I take it somewhere......

Offline buckaroo banzai

• New Egg
Re: issues bleeding the rear brake
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 12:07:18 AM »
Thanks the search  worked!

But didn't find any new information or what that black rubber funnel piece purpose is.

I had help pumping the brakes, I might try and put a hose on the nipple and drain it into a jar to see if that works.

I'll probably run to a local repair shop to see what he might charge. Might be worth my money and time and maybe he can figure out  about the  black rubber piece.

Offline wymple

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015, 01:15:32 AM »
Push the pedal down and put a weight on it or zip tie it or something to keep it down. Then check it tomorrow. The air will work it's way back up the line while it sits. If not good enough, do it again or try bleeding it again. Lots of good luck with that method. I'm guessing the black rubber funnel you refer to would be the piece that expands out to fill the master cylinder air space if you lose fluid over a period of time. It should compressed as flat as possible to begin with.
No trees were harmed by the conveyance of this message, but a lot of electrons were seriously disturbed.

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 05:07:57 AM »
I seem to remember I had a similar problem with the Breva. Ended up removing the caliper and holding it up above the master cylinder. I thought that the capacity of the cylinder was so small that the air rose faster than the fluid could push it out. Seemed to solve the problem anyway.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 05:07:57 AM »

Offline bratman2

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2015, 07:14:00 AM »
What Wymple said! It came loose from the cap when you removed it. A common thing to happen. Pluck it out, attach to cap and compress it back like it should be. Then add your fluid!
Glenn Taylor
09 Norge with Staintune and Rexxer reflash
87 Subaru Brat (owned since 97)

Offline buckaroo banzai

• New Egg
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2015, 10:00:25 AM »
Thanks guys!
gives me several things to try and now I have an Idea about the black rubber funnel shaped thing

Offline clubman

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2015, 11:11:24 AM »
The reason you are having trouble bleeding the rear caliper is because of the location of the bleeder at the bottom of the caliper. The front is a snap to bleed because it is at the highest point on the brake where air will naturally flow to. Removing the rear caliper and turning it upside down (to get the bleeder in a high position) will work, but is awkward. To solve the problem permanently replace the stock bleeder with a "speed bleeder" (Google it). Speed bleeders have a spring loaded check valve built into their body, which prevents air from backing into the caliper when you pump the lever. With a speed bleeder you can do the job quicker than it takes to read this paragraph.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 11:12:58 AM by clubman »
V7C (gone to a good home),'04 Coppa Italia (Oh my!), OSSA Explorer Street Tracker,'17 KTM 690 Duke, Monster 900S,  KTM 790S Adventure, Speed Triple 1050S (yow!)

Offline twhitaker

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2015, 11:22:41 AM »
http://speedbleeder.com/

Get the bag too.  :thumb:
'96 California 1100i 160,000 mi
'97 Centauro yellow 25,000 mi
'02 Champagne V11 LeMans 58,000 mi
MGNOC-11168
Dayton, OH

Offline sthomag

• Hatchling
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2015, 08:20:41 AM »
Use this. It makes a huge difference. Put a little brake grease on the nipple to keep air from backing in. Makes brake bleeding dead easy.

Best of all,it's on sale now.

http://www.harborfreight.com/brake-bleeder-and-vacuum-pump-kit-60770.html

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2015, 08:31:31 AM »
I seem to remember I had a similar problem with the Breva. Ended up removing the caliper and holding it up above the master cylinder. I thought that the capacity of the cylinder was so small that the air rose faster than the fluid could push it out. Seemed to solve the problem anyway.

Muzz's idea of raising the caliper is well reported.  I've gotten by without it (so far).  Here's a link of mine with some tips (click on each photo to get the discussion):  https://www.flickr.com/photos/sign216/sets/72157625625067451
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

56Pan

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2015, 09:26:14 AM »
Use this. It makes a huge difference. Put a little brake grease on the nipple to keep air from backing in. Makes brake bleeding dead easy.

Best of all,it's on sale now.

http://www.harborfreight.com/brake-bleeder-and-vacuum-pump-kit-60770.html

Once you get one of these vacuum bleeder kits, you'll wonder how you ever lived without it.  They come in handy for so many other uses. 

Offline buckaroo banzai

• New Egg
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2015, 01:42:21 AM »
Thanks Guys got some good info. Called a local shop and he said he would replace all the fluid and get the brakes working  for 30$. I think I'll go this route since I'm going to be hurting for time this week.  I'll be working 12 1/2 hours days and when I'm off I'll be resting up and catching things up so this looks pretty good for me.

But I think I will get the speed bleeder for the future. Heard some good things about it.  I changed pads on several bikes before and never had this much trouble.

So, the little rubber funnel thing presses against the top and you compress it flat and tighten the lid. Just never have seen that before...
Thanks

Offline jackson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2015, 05:39:00 AM »
Yep, that rear brake can be a bitch.  I used a speedbleeder on my Breva 750 and now use the suction tool (forgot the name).  Without either one, that brake just doesn't want to bleed.  And yes, the little black rubber piece just compresses back into the lid and flattens out.  When you're bleeding the brake and you get good suction but run low on fluid in the line and bowl, the suction makes it pull out (stretch out) as it's being pulling by the suction on the other end of the line.
NO longer can ride

Offline Moto Fugazzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • Waiting on a sign from God, or a nod from hell.
    • Griso
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2015, 09:33:45 AM »
http://speedbleeder.com/

Get the bag too.  :thumb:

Anybody know what size speed bleeder the gold line Brembo calipers require?
Ken
Ken
2004 V11 Cafe Sport
2009 V7C White
2007 Griso Black-Sold
1978 V50 II Blue-Sold

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here