Author Topic: V7R Anyone Had This Problem N Steering?  (Read 7966 times)

Offline kern16

• Gosling
V7R Anyone Had This Problem N Steering?
« on: May 06, 2015, 02:52:26 PM »
Thx to all who previously submitted their FIX to my kickstand issue so let me try my luck again? Lately I have noticed a (snag/catch) in low speed steering. Almost feels like a bundle of wires may occasionally move around and when I initiate a turn their is a slight hesitation? It wasn't bad enough to do anymore research then just inspect to see if I could see anything that stood out? My son took the bike out today and said what's going on with steering on your bike! He was at an intersection and it momentarily snagged again? Has anyone experienced this with their V7R? Thought I would check here first for advice before going to the dealer?
THX N Advance

LongRanger

Re: V7R Anyone Had This Problem N Steering?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 03:07:58 PM »
It could be an errant wire loom, but the first thing that comes to my mind is improper cable routing or worn steering head bearings.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 03:20:36 PM by LongRanger »

Offline kern16

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 03:16:42 PM »
So to your knowledge their has not been a recall and it's probably just a glitch N my bike? I will make a note of this. How does one do this repair or should it be left up to the dealer?

Offline kern16

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 05:02:01 PM »
Also I was thinking high mileage when re: Worn Bearings my bike is like NEW? Probably less than 4K? Wish it had a center stand so I could check for play N the front wheel?

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 05:02:01 PM »

Offline kern16

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 09:31:16 PM »
Here's what I think? I noticed the clutch cable is not bundled with the rest of the cables. It's tight as a banjo so to speak when the steering is all the way to the right. This must be causing the glitch I referred to? PLS note how clutch cable is the bottom cable N pic? What do you think?

file:///Users/phil/Desktop/IMG_0065.JPG

Offline balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 10:08:41 PM »
That link did not work mate :'(
Oz
04 Cali
As ye practice, so do ye teach.

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 10:11:06 PM »
Your photo does not come up.  I suspect that the problem is a cable coming taught when you turn the bars.  The clutch is the logical one to cause the problem.  There is something wrong with how your clutch cable is routed.  You should not have anything binding.  My '13 works perfectly.

Peter Y.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Offline kern16

• Gosling
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 06:54:02 AM »
I see it's not a LIVE link if you cut and paste N your browser it should work fine? PLS let me know if that works if not I will try something else? The clutch cable is not bundled with the others and I think that's the problem my picture shows that but if that don't work?
Thx for your extra trouble to cut and paste.

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2015, 07:26:22 AM »
Phil, just try relieving the stress on the cable. Move it around.  Worse case is you may have to disconnect it a re-route it.

As others have said, my guess is that is your problem.  Head bearings can cause turning problems but I don't think you have enough miles for that.

I won't be at breakfast on Saturday but, if you bring it, we have many experts who will flock to relieve your problem.

Offline kern16

• Gosling
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2015, 08:14:54 AM »
David the cable runs under the tank. I traced it to the back of the transmission no adjustment I could find? This is only a guess but if you look at the pic (just cut and paste link) the clutch cable is not routed with the rest of the cables? Maybe during set up at dealership this was overlooked? It's very very tight to the point of stopping the handlebars from turning to the max? I've tried to pull some slack but none to pull? I have written Tod but awaiting response? WHO at CB were U thinking of? Sir Richard is N England and Carlos is not positive he can make it?

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2015, 08:20:52 AM »
Badly routed cable in your keyboard too?&
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Offline kern16

• Gosling
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2015, 08:29:30 AM »
I have it on flickr?
Let me look at it again. My other forums you can just browse and select a pic this one is not as easy?

Offline kern16

• Gosling
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2015, 08:32:58 AM »

Offline kern16

• Gosling
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2015, 12:15:05 PM »
I was hoping to find out if their clutch cable was ran through the same metal piece as all the rest of the wiring? Oh well at least I got my pic up so I've made some headway?

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2015, 12:26:11 PM »
Sounds like you found the issue; cable bind.  See what others with the bike say about their cable routing according to your pic and explanation.  Have the dealer deal with it, but fact gathering may help them out.  Depends on the dealer; most could use help.
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Offline kern16

• Gosling
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2015, 01:03:49 PM »
Just made an appt for this Wed. It will give me a good excuse to ride over. Will report back with what the issue is?

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2015, 01:52:47 PM »
David the cable runs under the tank. I traced it to the back of the transmission no adjustment I could find? This is only a guess but if you look at the pic (just cut and paste link) the clutch cable is not routed with the rest of the cables? Maybe during set up at dealership this was overlooked? It's very very tight to the point of stopping the handlebars from turning to the max? I've tried to pull some slack but none to pull? I have written Tod but awaiting response? WHO at CB were U thinking of? Sir Richard is N England and Carlos is not positive he can make it?

I will call you later today.

Offline kern16

• Gosling
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2015, 05:47:49 PM »
Well see if anyone can or has any ideas WHY this happened?
Went to my local MG dealer Adventure Motorsports of NWF in Pensacola Fl first thing this morning. After a couple of rides it was determined my steering had bearings were bad? It was not a pleasant ride over today as the steering fought me in every turn.
General Mgr will approach MG in my behalf and even though I am out of warranty with only 3800K on the clock maybe the MG angels will b in my corner.
Really shocked at what they found was just sure it was the clutch cable which was very tight so they removed and re-installed. May be a few weeks till I get her back? ie: any hopes of warranty means my bearings need to come from MG and not aftermarket.
Many THX to my dealer for LOTS of coffee and danish along with knowledgeable care!

Offline balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2015, 06:28:12 PM »
                   The Guzzi bearings are OK but the factory ( known on this forum as Luigi) is notorious for not greasing them. While I think of it, if the shop has your bike for any length of time while awaiting parts, you might like to get them to check the splines in the hub as well as those on the drive shaft.
Oz
04 Cali
As ye practice, so do ye teach.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re:
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2015, 06:46:24 PM »
More importantly, if the shop pulls the bearings and they are dry, then you have significant leverage against MGNA/Piaggio for improper assembly which is something that should be converted under the warranty as a or pre-existing condition.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline kern16

• Gosling
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2015, 07:37:14 PM »
EXACTLY.......
I may have blinders on but I have a feeling MG will take care of this for me? Now N a few weeks I may be writing back and say............OH NO! I'm not a mechanic but common sense tells me something went very wrong for my bearings to go out N less than 4K?
Riding the bike became a dangerous proposition these last few weeks! When the bike was on the rack the notch or grabbing when weight was off the front wheel was very evident and INCREASED MY PUCKER FACTOR X 10.....especially N curves.

Offline kern16

• Gosling
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2015, 07:44:59 PM »
A friend just emailed me and ask are they ball or roller bearings? I'm sure someone here knows? I will guess they are (Roller?)
Thx N Advance

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2015, 07:56:32 PM »
  Your power steering belt is slipping
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2015, 08:04:42 PM »
Darn.  We talked about the bearings but, with so few miles, we wanted to look at the clutch cable.  Only problem with that diagnosis is why didn't you have the problem earlier?

The factory most likely didn't grease the bearings properly.  They should cover it and you should not have to wait for "weeks." I am sure the bearings are roller bearings.

Top quality bearings can be obtained from a bearing house like Motion Industries etc.  I have no idea what Guzzi supplies. Hopefully, they will be good bearings. A proper amount of grease will do wonders for any bearing too.

*** edit***

I just looked them up on the AF1 fiche.

The bearings are tapered roller bearings and a bit expensive.

Part number GU92249225-

Price $47.83 each, 2 required.

Two "gasket rings" that cover the bearings are also shown and may need replacing.

Part number  AP8144146-

Price $5.55 each, 2 required.

The labor to replace the bearings will be the big hump to get over.

I wonder what your swingarm bearings look like......
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 08:14:10 PM by leafman60 »

Offline kern16

• Gosling
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2015, 08:58:05 PM »
Many THX for taking the time and looking that up for me!

Offline kern16

• Gosling
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2015, 08:00:26 PM »
As promised here is the UPDATE to my 2012 V7R Steering Problem. Just got my bike back this morning and  it was BAD Steering Head Bearings as had been mentioned in an earlier post! I've included a pic which will not do justice for how bad they were? My bike is a 2012 but only had 3800 miles so I knew it was out of warranty but honestly thought MG would take care of me? They declined but (Shout Out) to my service dealer Adventure Motorsports of NWF they purchased and paid for all the parts! THANK YOU guys for your support. The bearings appeared to not have any grease or maybe just bad from their supplier? I may pkg them up and try again with MG more on principle then anything?
THX for everyone's comments I guess I have the ONLY V7R in the world that the bearings went bad this soon? The bike is kept in the garage and never ridden up hill and only on Sundays...........

https://www.flickr.com/photos/95693373@N05/18480262456/in/dateposted-public/

Vasco DG

Re:
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2015, 12:45:09 AM »
More importantly, if the shop pulls the bearings and they are dry, then you have significant leverage against MGNA/Piaggio for improper assembly which is something that should be converted under the warranty as a or pre-existing condition.

Unfortunately Kev this is unlikely. Know why? Because I had a Bellagio that was still in warranty that had its bearings shit the bed. I slapped in a warranty claim and it was knocked back. Why? Because according to the factory they should be 'Inspected' at the first service! I boggled a bit when told this? So the customer of a brand new motorbike motorbike is expected to PAY at the first service to have the front end stripped out just in case the bearings aren't greased adequately! Ridiculous!

Anyway the upshot was I got him to pay for the bearings, (Forty bux or so.) but I fitted 'em for Nix. Sad thing is that bike is now in my shed awaiting a visit from the insurance assessor and I fear it may be written off.

Pete

Offline Moto Fugazzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • Waiting on a sign from God, or a nod from hell.
    • Griso
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2015, 02:47:04 AM »
I had this issue on my 2009 V7C the summer after I bought it (new). Some grease took care of the issue, and it's been fine since.
Amazing how bad steering head bearings feel-I thought I had a flat front tire at first.
Ken
Ken
2004 V11 Cafe Sport
2009 V7C White
2007 Griso Black-Sold
1978 V50 II Blue-Sold

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2015, 08:26:35 AM »
Bearing look awful for a bike w 4k miles.  What year is it?  Is corrosion the issue?

In the past Guzzi (and BMW too) were known for putting in bearings with no grease.  Used only the slight oil on them from shipping/storage.  It took a couple of years for a bike to have problems, so to my knowledge it still hasn't been addressed.
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

Offline kern16

• Gosling
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2015, 10:40:33 PM »
Bearing look awful for a bike w 4k miles.  What year is it?  Is corrosion the issue?

In the past Guzzi (and BMW too) were known for putting in bearings with no grease.  Used only the slight oil on them from shipping/storage.  It took a couple of years for a bike to have problems, so to my knowledge it still hasn't been addressed.
If I was to pkg the bearings up and send to MG would it do any good you think or just a waste of my time? It's so obvious (no grease and YES they look awful!) any ideas or address who I would send this to as to attention? Should I try to email them first for a ref authorization #? *&^% I'm getting a headache just thinking about it? Dealer gave me a $150 credit maybe I should just drop it and let it go?

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here