Author Topic: Want to confirm terminology in service manual regarding fluid change.  (Read 1800 times)

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
I have the service manual, I ride a shiny new 2014 V7 Special.

In it, it states that the transmission takes 85W-140, and the gearbox takes 85W-90.

Are they referring to the final drive when they say "Transmission"?

Also... I haven't removed the valve covers yet, but will be tomorrow evening to adjust them as per 1000 km service specs. Will I be removing the rocker arms to torque the heads? What size hex drivers do I need for the job? I'd hate to get in there and realize I need to make a run to the hardware store.

edit: Also, I can find a torque value for the oil filter cover, and oil drain plugs, but nothing for the filler plugs?

Thank you!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 11:39:58 AM by Toecutter »
Old enough to say I've done it, young enough to do it again.

oldbike54

Yes , transmission = final drive . MG really needs to straighten that out , it has caused problems . Don't know if the SBs have a hidden stud like BBs that requires the rocker arms to be removed .

Dusty

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
Thank you.

Vasco DG

'transmission' is the Bevelbox on the rear of the swingarm. 'gearbox' is the thing behind the engine.

No need to remove the rocker arms to re-torque the heads on a smallblock. What you'll need is a 17mm socket, a 10mm alien key socket, either a long one or a 3/8ths drive one and an extension and a 12mm deep socket, also preferably 3/8ths drive.

The rocker support studs have 17mm nuts, the outer two sleeve nuts are 10mm allens and the top/inner stud has a 12mm nut. 17 &10mm allens are 30-32 ft/lbs. 12mm nut is 20-22 ft/lbs.

Filler plugs are torqued to common sense.

Pete

Wildguzzi.com

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
Perfect.
Thank you very much.

Offline davedel44

• Gaggle Hero
Gotta love Pete.  :thumb:

Dave
Galveston
Bambino- 2013 V7 Stone

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
...Filler plugs are torqued to common sense.

Pete
Or for those of us with less common sense than Pete, about 12 Nm is good.
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here