Author Topic: Another hideous old munter added to the stable.  (Read 13417 times)

pete roper

Re: Another hideous old munter added to the stable.
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2017, 10:13:04 PM »
Not sure yet. September this year or maybe April next. Not going to try and do the tropics in the wet season.

Offline Scud

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2017, 10:18:24 PM »
Well, that looks like a fun project. You gonna get that big girl dirty - or mostly use it on the street?
1989 Moto Guzzi LeMans
2002 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport Scura
2017 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
2017 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
2020 Yamaha TW200

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2017, 10:40:25 PM »
If it's of any interest, I left in May going clockwise and did 5 minutes in rain at Port Augusta and 20 minutes in Perth, ( although waited that out). At least the temp only got to 37 around Port Hedland / Kununurra areas, nice and cool !!! No more rain until Cairns, but that's good rain. None from big banana to home. That's pretty standard. Are you happy with your research on the September departure regarding wet season downpours ?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 10:43:58 PM by Huzo »

pete roper

« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2017, 10:59:51 PM »
My mate Peter who I'm travelling with has lived in the tropics for thirty years, Darwin, Kakadu and Townsville, I'm letting him do the planning. He'll be on his 1200 Sport-8V so we won't be doing a lot of dirt! :laugh:

Pete

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2017, 10:59:51 PM »

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2017, 11:03:25 PM »
My mate Peter who I'm travelling with has lived in the tropics for thirty years, Darwin, Kakadu and Townsville, I'm letting him do the planning. He'll be on his 1200 Sport-8V so we won't be doing a lot of dirt! :laugh:

Pete
He's gotta be the one to listen to you'd reckon. You'll love it irregardless....
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 11:04:13 PM by Huzo »

Offline Clancy

• Gosling
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2017, 04:10:15 PM »
I thought you were after an 8V Sport?
There's a 2009 (39000km) on bike sales.com for under 10k in Victoria....
Cheers
Craig

2012 GRiSO (Factory rollered, Beetle mapped)

pete roper

« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2017, 05:56:16 PM »
Yeah, I was, but then 'The Turd' came up in Queensland and I thought "Why not?". I'm just hoping its been rollerised. :grin:

Pete

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2017, 08:45:48 PM »
I get the impression that adventure or dual-sport bikes are not looked upon favourably down under -- would that be a fair statement?  Kind of made fun of almost like they are embarrassing?  I say this as I seem to hear frequently that they don't sell all that well down there, and people seem to make fun of them (probably in somewhat good humour).  Calling them "chook chasers" (clapped out old dirt bikes from farms, etc.). 

Is this perception accurate, or have I missed the mark?  Honest question, as I find the cultural differences across the globe to be very interesting.  Kind of like how, for many years, British shows (Top Gear, etc.) would represent Hondas as old people's cars, when they were popular with the kids n North America for tuning).  Just a different perspective, I suppose.

Cheers,
Shaun
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore (Yep, two)

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2017, 08:50:07 PM »
I get the impression that adventure or dual-sport bikes are not looked upon favourably down under -- would that be a fair statement?  Kind of made fun of almost like they are embarrassing?  I say this as I seem to hear frequently that they don't sell all that well down there, and people seem to make fun of them (probably in somewhat good humour).  Calling them "chook chasers" (clapped out old dirt bikes from farms, etc.). 

Is this perception accurate, or have I missed the mark?  Honest question, as I find the cultural differences across the globe to be very interesting.  Kind of like how, for many years, British shows (Top Gear, etc.) would represent Hondas as old people's cars, when they were popular with the kids n North America for tuning).  Just a different perspective, I suppose.

Cheers,
Shaun
Nah mate, out where the real touring is done, every man and his dog is on a GS with Mc Gregor replica jacket. About the same ratio as Europe IMO.

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2017, 09:01:03 PM »
Much the same I feel in NZ. Many of the bikes I see on the road who are obviously doing touring are on the adventure type bikes. Guys I have spoken to appreciate the comfort but don't like the cruiser or the crotch rocket style, and the adventure style seems to fit the bill.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2017, 09:06:28 PM »
Much the same I feel in NZ. Many of the bikes I see on the road who are obviously doing touring are on the adventure type bikes. Guys I have spoken to appreciate the comfort but don't like the cruiser or the crotch rocket style, and the adventure style seems to fit the bill.
Yeah they are the way to go realistically. I went up past the Arctic Circle on one and it was a good tool for the job, but I just couldn't "like" it. I still like the Norge although I'm always a bit jumpy wondering if it's going to stuff up. It never does of it's own accord.

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2017, 09:07:30 PM »
Thanks, gents -- good to know.  That's the trouble with anecdotal information... it's anecdotal!

Hope I get down that way, someday, so I can experience the scene directly.  And maybe chase a few chooks!

Cheers,
Shaun
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660

beetle

« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2017, 09:08:18 PM »
GS riders travel in hordes here. There are a lot of hordes.   :shocked:

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2017, 09:14:36 PM »
Thanks, gents -- good to know.  That's the trouble with anecdotal information... it's anecdotal!

Hope I get down that way, someday, so I can experience the scene directly.  And maybe chase a few chooks!

Cheers,
Shaun
Better hurry mate, or you won't get a good looking one !!!! There's always a beaut selection of white leghorns at the bowls club.

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2017, 09:30:09 PM »
Better hurry mate, or you won't get a good looking one !!!! There's always a beaut selection of white leghorns at the bowls club.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2017, 09:41:33 PM »
That's a hideous old munter ?!?!?!?  I'd call that sexy new hotness.

Although I like the term: "Hideous Old Munter...".... would agree with Turin...that's a cool bike...and it appears you got a good deal! 

I personally like the looks and design of the Stevio much better than the Norge. :thumb: :cool: :1:
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

pete roper

« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2017, 10:41:58 PM »
As Huzo says, big 'Adventure' bikes , (I nearly park a tiger when I hear that term. What does it actually mean?) are very popular here. BMW's particularly and they tend to be owned by the well known stereotypes.

Look, this thing is comparatively high mileage but in most ways that worries me not a jot. Things I'm expecting to have to do are replace the swingarm bearings, probably the shock linkage or at least it's bearings, grease the steering head bearings and of course there is the $64,000 question of has it been rollerised? I really think it unlikely it could of got to anywhere near this mileage without but it could simply be at the point of severe death! (Is there any other kind?).

I'm also hoping it hasn't had any nasty add-ons like Fat-Duc's or Power Commanders put on it or it'll probably have some ring and bore damage and might need camchains. As long as the engine isn't beyond the pale it'll be a good buy. If it is? (Shrug?) I'll fix it.

One thing all their owners say is they are a great tourer and very comfortable. That and the fact that they have a HUGE fuel tank means that I'm hoping it will make a great two up tourer for Jude and I and will be ideal for the around Oz trip.

Pete

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2017, 10:50:49 PM »

One thing all their owners say is they are a great tourer and very comfortable. That and the fact that they have a HUGE fuel tank means that I'm hoping it will make a great two up tourer for Jude and I and will be ideal for the around Oz trip.

Pete

I can back that up.  Very comfortable, at least for me.  The (relatively) long suspension travel is great on rough roads, too.

Cheers,
Shaun
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660

Offline Scud

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2017, 11:29:14 PM »
"Adventure" biking is cool. You can go all sorts of dirty, rocky, muddy, snowy places you'd probably prefer not to take a more sporty bike.  Aren't there virtually endless expanses of dirt roads in Australia? 

I have no experience with the Stelvio, but my old KTM 950 Adventure would go anywhere - and it was a decent tourer and a pretty good sports bike on the twisties. But it was thirsty and a pain in the ass to work on. The Stelvio looks like a better all-around bike for anyone who doesn't need the KTM level of performance in the dirt. I could see one in my garage one day (but the Honda Africa Twin is interesting too...)
1989 Moto Guzzi LeMans
2020 Yamaha TW200

pete roper

« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2017, 12:07:21 AM »
Unfortunately Scud the purchase of 'The Turd' means the LeMans has to go on the back burner. Sorry.....    :cry:

Pete

Offline Scud

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2017, 12:42:56 AM »
No worries. If we lived closer we could've worked a trade the Stelvio after you're done with your tour.

You got me prowling for Stelvios though, and there's a rollered one with less than 15,000 miles for sale in my city - and asking only $6,000. I sort of wish I had not seen that...
1989 Moto Guzzi LeMans
2020 Yamaha TW200

Offline Crosspug

• New Egg
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2017, 02:07:52 AM »
I thought you were after an 8V Sport?
There's a 2009 (39000km) on bike sales.com for under 10k in Victoria....
Careful, careful, that one has had electric and head work (right only?) under warranty... But no one could/would be specific what, when or where when I enquired...

But I'm sure with the correct due diligence it might be a bargain.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

pete roper

« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2017, 02:47:03 AM »
Careful, careful, that one has had electric and head work (right only?) under warranty... But no one could/would be specific what, when or where when I enquired...

But I'm sure with the correct due diligence it might be a bargain.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I reckoned it might be a turd as well, but a turd without redeeming features. Your description sounds about what I'd suspect. It lunched it's tappets but only the noisy side was checked and then bits to repair it were bought without any refference to the Servicemotoguzzi website so it still has one failed original flat tappet cylinder head and one with new tappets and cam that will also fail!

Piaggio must be rubbing their hands in glee at what rubes we are! :violent1:

Pete

Offline Xlratr

• Gaggle Mentor
  • (ex) Stelvio NTX, '78 Honda 750F2, '97 FXDWG
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2017, 06:22:51 AM »
It's manufacture date is 01/2012 so unless it's been rollerised it's definitely a flattie. I know it's probably a turd but it's my turd now!  :grin:

Pete

Pete, how do you know the month of manufacture? From the VIN I thought you can only see the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
John

I ain't too young to realize, that I ain't too old to try ...

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2017, 07:07:41 AM »
I understand that a good Guzzi mechanic can tell you if it's been rollerized before purchase.. <shrug> 
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline swmckinley54

• Hatchling
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2017, 07:41:00 AM »
I had a 2012 and put 50K miles on it. Had the clutch go on it too. Still it was a great bike, no regrets.
Steven Mckinley
Austin, TX
2016 Eldorado

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2017, 09:49:46 AM »
As Huzo says, big 'Adventure' bikes , (I nearly park a tiger when I hear that term. What does it actually mean?) are very popular here.

Pete
I only use it 'cos everyone will know what I mean Pete, of course it's a bullshit term. I've done a little bit of riding on mine and it's always an adventure. BTW, I parked a Tiger once, a DH 84.

pete roper

« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2017, 11:55:29 AM »
I understand that a good Guzzi mechanic can tell you if it's been rollerized before purchase.. <shrug>

You try and convince a salesman at a 'Box Shop' dealership to take a rocker cover off on a bike that's a low profit trade in Chuck. It wasn't going to happen.  :laugh: The bike is 1,000+km away. I wasn't going to look :grin:

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2017, 04:33:56 PM »
Nah. Highway 1, the road that goes all the way round, has been sealed for years. Anyway we'll be on Guzzis so if anything goes wrong we'll beat it back into shape with a rock!

pete
Are you gunna be braver and go anticlockwise around the outside, it's a bit further! I got sick of looking at the ocean over my left shoulder, so went half way round and did a U turn and went back ! Also it's a bit symbolic that you refer to it as a "turd". You might remember that, when you're rollerising it. I can see it now, " Just one more push Mr Roper, and we'll have the head" or "Keep pushing Pete, the servo's only 5 k's away, you're nearly there". I initially thought you were being uncharacteristicall y derisive when you referred to your Stelvio as "turd", or is it a clever acronym from another thread, like "Two Up, Roper's Dunger" or "Turned Up Really Dirty" or "Tappets Under Risk of Destruction" etc.... Anyway, would look good on a personalised plate !
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 05:22:39 PM by Huzo »

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2017, 06:43:49 PM »
You try and convince a salesman at a 'Box Shop' dealership to take a rocker cover off on a bike that's a low profit trade in Chuck. It wasn't going to happen.  :laugh: The bike is 1,000+km away. I wasn't going to look :grin:

Sorry, Pete.. that was low hanging fruit. :smiley: :boozing:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here