Author Topic: ngc. Volvo going electric  (Read 11327 times)

oldbike54

Re: ngc. Volvo going electric
« Reply #90 on: July 08, 2017, 07:25:21 PM »
 Once again fellas , no politics . Read the rules , seriously , tired of cleaning this thread up , pretty good discussion , but one more political post and it goes bye bye along with the poster . Get it ?

Dusty

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #91 on: July 09, 2017, 10:19:37 PM »
A V6 Lexus Hybrid has a 67hp-equiv electric motor IN THE IRS DIFFERENTIAL.  I'm still searching for the actual torque figure and optimum rpm range (no, you don't get all the torque instantly -- they have a power band, too).  It's just slightly larger than a large regular differential.  I'll bet that after factoring in the benefits of the power train efficiencies suggested by a powered differential, a guy could realize the equivalent of an 80hp engine with a conventional drive train.  Could you see that in a trike or on a sidecar?  lots of battery packing space, and a guy could ebay the basic differential part for about $750.  It gets me interested.

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #92 on: July 10, 2017, 12:03:27 PM »
If you have two cars, does one of them really need a 300mi range??  Lisa's POS Neon will probably do her for another 5 years at the rate she drives (commute 4mi each way, minor errands), as she makes me drive any time we travel together.. from road trips to across town for dinner.

I'm going to get her an electric next.. The leaf is the current front runner, perfect for in-town use. But who knows by the time she's ready for a car.  If she took a long road trip alone to visit family or the like (perhaps a 1-2x/yr occurrence) she could drive my car and I'd keep her electric while she's gone. I have 4 IC vehicles plus her car, I would LOVE to replace 50% or more of the fleet with electric.

As for the argument that electric isn't clean because of coal-generated electricity, that argument is a red herring, coal is dying quickly, and not for political or EPA reasons...  Coal power is more expensive/less efficient than power from natural gas and too dirty to be a permanent fixture. Renewables are gaining price equity and acceptance rapidly, just not in the US.. We are lagging as the fuels of the future are being developed in Europe & Asia. There will hardly be a coal-fired plant left in 10 years and I say good riddance.
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #93 on: July 10, 2017, 02:33:47 PM »
it looks like the facts support you Mayor.  Coal Electrical Generation is being replaced so quickly and completely that it's environmentally favorable to own an EV or hybrid in every state.  For years, I was a skeptic on this point but now it's clear:

"Recent research by the Union of Concerned Scientists found that driving and charging an electric vehicle anywhere in the United States produces fewer global warming emissions than driving an average new gas-powered vehicle. Furthermore, the research shows that more than two-thirds of Americans live in areas where driving an average electric vehicle is better for the planet than even the most efficient hybrid vehicle on the market. "

http://www.ucsusa.org/publications/catalyst/winter16-electric-vehicles-just-how-green-are-they#.WWPVYIjyvDc
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 02:34:59 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #93 on: July 10, 2017, 02:33:47 PM »

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here