Author Topic: Motorcycling is dying  (Read 10704 times)

Offline steven c

• Gaggle Hero
Motorcycling is dying
« on: December 15, 2017, 09:40:06 AM »
2020 V85TT Traveler
74 949 Eldorado

75 Benelli 250
2006 Buell Ulysses
78 Honda XL125

MGNOC 6412

oldbike54

Re: Motorcycling is dying
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 10:00:10 AM »
 The horse and buggy has mostly disappeared also , the world changes , stuff comes and then leaves. There really isn't any amount of slick marketing that will stop the decline of not only motorcycling , but private transport in general . The coming generations should be free to make their own decisions about what makes them happy .

Dusty

Offline Spuddy

• Gaggle Hero
  • Best Thing About A Mind Is Being Able To Change It
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 10:02:27 AM »
Unfortunately, the article makes sense.  But offers nothing new.

Spud
'13 Stelvio NTX
'07 California Vintage
'01 W650
'00 Quota 1100ES + Ural

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 10:05:55 AM »
Anyone here see the move Wall-E?

It is a sad prediction of where our society is headed.

Autonomous vehicles, everyone being so engrossed in the small hand held screen, along with how sedentary our society has become all point to that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-kdRdzxdZQ
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 10:05:55 AM »

oldbike54

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2017, 10:13:58 AM »
 We became sedentary BECAUSE of the motor vehicle , this isn't anything new . Look , no one loved motorcycles more than me , the damn things basically saved my life , but their disappearance won't cause the world to collapse . The world is changing , always has , always will . Get out and ride , enjoy yourself , don't worry about what future generations do for pleasure .

Dusty

Offline molly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2017, 10:21:10 AM »
We became sedentary BECAUSE of the motor vehicle , this isn't anything new . Look , no one loved motorcycles more than me , the damn things basically saved my life , but their disappearance won't cause the world to collapse . The world is changing , always has , always will . Get out and ride , enjoy yourself , don't worry about what future generations do for pleasure .

Dusty
Couldn't agree more.
Dave

Lincolnshire, U.K.

Griso 1100

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2017, 10:27:00 AM »
Anyone here see the move Wall-E?

It is a sad prediction of where our society is headed.

Autonomous vehicles, everyone being so engrossed in the small hand held screen, along with how sedentary our society has become all point to that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-kdRdzxdZQ

:thumb: I was just thinking the same thing!

The world is changing , always has , always will . Get out and ride , enjoy yourself , don't worry about what future generations do for pleasure .

Dusty

I sure as heck don't want to live in a world without motorcycles. Hopefully, I'll be gone before they're legislated off the roads.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 10:51:53 AM by Antietam Classic Cycle »
Charlie

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2017, 10:38:07 AM »
I was talking to a 21 y/o girl at work about on Monday about "how was your weekend" I told her I did 20 miles in the woods on a dirt bike and ended up with a big strawberry on my left knee. Her comment was "and you kept riding?" The next generation will miss out but oh well, I had my fun my own way :thumb:
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline TOMB

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2017, 10:47:39 AM »
I think we all know what the future will bring .
The future in some way will look like a Mad Max movie .
Enjoy the present
TOMB
TOMB

CENTRAL CONNECTICUT
1972 Eldorado new to me so "0" miles so far
1972 AMBASSADOR 169000 MILES
1978 G5 170000 MILES
1973 V7 SPORT 25000 MILES
1973 ELDORADO 300000+ MILES
1980 CX100 50 MILES
1976 CONVERT-62000 MILES AND BUILDING
1976 HONDA CB400F 27 MILES AND BUILDING SOLD

MGNOC # 2723

Offline JoeKirby

• New Egg
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2017, 10:50:04 AM »
I am doing my part, raised two millennials that ride.
My favorite rides:
1978 Triumph Bonneville
2005 Triumph Thruxton
2007 Triumph Sprint ST
2010 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Moto Guzzi V9
Beechcraft BE24R

Online Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2017, 11:05:20 AM »
It's not clear to me what metric is being used to measure the "death" of motorcycling.  What is clearer is that every good, twisty road I ride, in Europe and the US has more motorcyclists on it than ever before.  I do agree that the industry has become complacent and unimaginative, focused on one demographic, but it seems to me that demographic and the others combined are pretty active.  The risk aversion of masses huddled together in growing cities is probably a good thing given the activity of the rest of us - I wouldn't look forward to still more motorcyclists on fun rural roads.

As for the today's fashion of predicting that we'll all be using public transport soon, I think it's as valid as most predictions...  which is to say that despite a rational basis for the prediction it ignores many factors worldwide that will make the world go in a different direction, in most places.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 11:16:45 AM by Tusayan »

Orange Guzzi

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2017, 11:10:04 AM »
Some one put together a survey here on WG.  I would wager that the numbers match the news stories and trade publications own survey's. 

3 used units for every 1 new units being sold at the Dealers.  Makes me want t go sell couple of my bikes to the dealer rather than C.L. or F.B.  Less hassle. 

2008 was the top of the bell curve.  2018 is my last year of motorcycles.  I am going to cars.  Getting old and lazy.  Will miss it, but getting old and lazy. 

Also, I live in an area and on a road in Southern Indiana that would rival any of your favorite roads.  On any day, the number of bicycle riders out number the motorcycle 20 to one.  All their fancy stretch one piece clothing is fun to watch. 
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 11:16:14 AM by Orange Guzzi »

Orange Guzzi

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2017, 11:11:56 AM »
I think we all know what the future will bring .
The future in some way will look like a Mad Max movie .
Enjoy the present
TOMB

With a few KTM Super Dukes thrown in for fun. 

oldbike54

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2017, 11:13:37 AM »
That's what they said about horses. There are about 3+ million in CA alone!

I like the Star Trek next generation version of the future over Mad Max...but none of us will be there to see it.

Maybe too optimistic but I tend to think that way these days.

Horses have been around for 55 million years , motorcycles for what , just a bit over a hundred years . Plus , when motorcycles go feral they rust away , never witnessed a horse do that  :laugh:

I do agree , the Star Trek version of the future is preferable , although I don't remember any motorbikes  :grin:

Hello Mike  :thumb:

Dusty

oldbike54

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2017, 11:39:04 AM »
Hello back!!

But horses have only been in N America for 400 years or so and I have read reprints of News papers in the east (NY) that predicted the demise of the breed now that the "horseless carriage" had arrived.

The subject apparently had been rasies by concerned stable owners and the association of horse sh-t picker uppers!
And BTW the Star treck motos were anti gravity and jet propelled if you remember the chase thru the woods w/mark and leigh...looks to be great fun, unless you hit a tree!

Dressing for dinner tonite....

Those "motos" were in Star Wars , not Star Trek ,  Star Wars is made up , Star Trek is real  :laugh:

Have fun tonite , although I am having a hard time picturing you in anything other than moto clothes  :shocked:

Dusty

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2017, 11:52:27 AM »
Nevada has herds of wild horses roaming freely.  Don't know of any wild motorcycles doing that.   :tongue:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline webmost

• Gosling
  • Safety Third
    • The Sotweed Factor
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2017, 12:01:08 PM »
Look, once you adjust for inflation, median household incomes are down four grand since 2000. That's one used bike less funny money per house. If you then adjust for all the new "necessities", such as smart phones in every hand and wide screens in every room, who knows, you're prolly talking a half a new bike a year per house.
Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism; complete with witch hunts funny outfits and humorless preachers thundering doom. The Deity is Safety; Satan is a Lawyer; but the object is the same: to suck the life out of life and tell you how to live it.

Online cappisj1

• Gosling
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2017, 12:12:03 PM »
“The horse and buggy has mostly disappeared also , the world changes , stuff comes and then leaves. There really isn't any amount of slick marketing that will stop the decline of not only motorcycling , but private transport in general . The coming generations should be free to make their own decisions about what makes them happy .”

Dusty, this is an amazing statement that applies to much more then motorcycles. Now I have a thought topic for tomorrow’s ride...

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2017, 12:22:42 PM »
Only one stat in the subject. Mine ant going nowhere and as long as gasoline is sold I’ll be ridding. This won’t happen our lifetime I don’t think.

Offline keuka4884

• Gosling
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2017, 12:32:57 PM »
I thought we were well on our way to driverless cars until I read a recent article. The article states that there must be a completely reliable cellular system intact before driverless cars dominate the landscape. It said even a 5G network will not be enough to handle these cars. The cars depend on transmitting and receiving lots of data in milliseconds of time to avert or redirect a vehicle to prevent accidents. And that especially applies to rural areas where many, many dead zones exist in the US. The system needs tremendous bandwidth, which is years away. They said 20-30 years. So the car makers are forging on ahead even though the cellular system is probably two decades away. I do like that. I'll be long dead by then. As for motorcycles, they will never be banned. I see a cycle here where we might be on a downward trend. But with expected downward pressure on wages, cheap motorcycling will be here for a long time. Ever been to Southeast Asia or India where motorcycles rule the roads? I think we will see more of that in the warmer parts of the US.
1978 850 T3
2017 Lincoln Continental Black Label
1996 Cadillac Eldorado Coach Builders convertible

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2017, 01:13:43 PM »
Motorcycling isn’t dying around here. We have seven of them on the farm. Only two are not currently running...
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2017, 01:18:16 PM »
I think the article is correct in so much that the industry needs more female riders which intern will produce more future riders.
If you have been following the thread on what first got one interested in riding, it was more often then not due to exposure at a very young age. Parents that are riders or that are interested in their kids riding need to expose them at 4-5 years old. The old original style minibikes started many a riding career let alone the little 50cc bikes. Put an appropriately dressed kid on dirt on a 50cc bike and the risks will be minimal. The kids need to find out that "real" reality can be better than virtual reallity.
The last thing is one or more of the manufacturers need to come in the market offering a spread of step up bikes and an inovative marketing plan like what Honda did in the 60s.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline betres

• New Egg
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2017, 01:40:26 PM »
Reminded of Michener's book Centennial where he speaks of Eohippus leaving what is now North America, heading up and over the top and then across Asia and evolving into the horse and finally making its way back "home".   Yep, things change. 

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2017, 01:58:24 PM »
I think the article is correct in so much that the industry needs more female riders which intern will produce more future riders.
If you have been following the thread on what first got one interested in riding, it was more often then not due to exposure at a very young age. Parents that are riders or that are interested in their kids riding need to expose them at 4-5 years old. The old original style minibikes started many a riding career let alone the little 50cc bikes. Put an appropriately dressed kid on dirt on a 50cc bike and the risks will be minimal. The kids need to find out that "real" reality can be better than virtual reallity.

I did that with both my sons.....put them on a Honda MR50 dirt bike and they loved the heck out of it before they were old enough to drive.  1 traded up to a 125 MX bike and the other rode a street bike for awhile, but neither stuck with bikes like I have.  You can take a horse to the trough but you can't make it drink.  :sad:

55+ years of riding and even I ride less now than I used to even retired.   :huh:
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 02:03:12 PM by Arizona Wayne »

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2017, 02:09:43 PM »
In my great-grandfather's day, 100 years ago, you could buy a new or used motorcycle and ride all you wanted, on public roads or public land.   Gasoline was available for sale on the side of the road, shops were available to work on them, or you could work on them yourself.   I'm sure there were articles in the papers of the day predicting "the demise of motorcycling" based on the coming of airships or running out of petroleum.

In my grandfather's day, 75 years ago, you could buy a new or used motorcycle and ride all you wanted, on public roads or public land.   Gasoline was available for sale on the side of the road, shops were available to work on them, or you could work on them yourself.   I'm sure there were articles in the papers of the day predicting "the demise of motorcycling" based on the coming of new car models or running out of petroleum.

In my father's day, 50 years ago, you could buy a new or used motorcycle and ride all you wanted, on public roads or public land.   Gasoline was available for sale on the side of the road, shops were available to work on them, or you could work on them yourself.   I'm sure there were articles in the papers of the day predicting "the demise of motorcycling" based on the coming of personal backpack helicopters or running out of petroleum.

In my younger days, 25 years ago, you could buy a new or used motorcycle and ride all you wanted, on public roads or public land.   Gasoline was available for sale on the side of the road, shops were available to work on them, or you could work on them yourself.   I KNOW there were articles in the papers of the day predicting "the demise of motorcycling" based on legislation, technology, or running out of petroleum.

And now the exact same thing today.   Anyone can buy a new or used motorcycle, and ride all they want, all day long, all over the world.   Gasoline is available everywhere, cheaper than it's ever been, petroleum reserves are higher than they've ever been, and there are more motorcycles in the country than there have ever been.   Shops are available to work on the bikes, or you can work on them yourself.

And people today, 25 years from now, 50 years from now, 75 years from now, and 100 years from now, people with nothing else to do, and who know that no one will ever go back and check the accuracy of their predictions .... are predicting "The Demise Of Motorcycling".

The wheel turns and the same old spoke keeps coming up ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2017, 02:14:34 PM »
�The horse and buggy has mostly disappeared also , the world changes , stuff comes and then leaves. There really isn't any amount of slick marketing that will stop the decline of not only motorcycling , but private transport in general . The coming generations should be free to make their own decisions about what makes them happy .�

Dusty, this is an amazing statement that applies to much more then motorcycles. Now I have a thought topic for tomorrow�s ride...

As much as he tries to deny it, Dusty is not the dumbest bear in the woods. :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

oldbike54

« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2017, 02:20:13 PM »
As much as he tries to deny it, Dusty is not the dumbest bear in the woods. :smiley:

Huh ?

Dusty

Offline Pop

• Gosling
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2017, 02:25:57 PM »
This article reminds me of "global warming" yes it's happening, but what do expect with 6 billion people. Yes there are fewer over the road guys, but the crotch rocketeers are booming. As for autonomous vehicles, bring those babies on. They are going to do the speed limit, they are going to do proper lane changes, and they are going to stop at stop signs. No more coming into your lane because they didn't 'see' you.
It's a win win. Safer riding.
Hey Jim, 7 days to Solstace.
Happy Festivus
Pop
Ride to eat, if there ain't food, I ain't goin'

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2017, 02:44:00 PM »
In my great-grandfather's day...

It's not unlike every generation since Socrates predicting the decline of civilization because of the next generation.

Quote from: Socrates
“The children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise.”

― Socrates
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2017, 02:59:53 PM »
It is the MC industries fault for not foreseeing their future, and society's for not producing the the buyers.
There is no fix.
I have my bikes, I don't need newer, fancier, bigger, etc.. Don't need to keep up w/the neighbors stuff.

"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here