Author Topic: NGC RV questions  (Read 1087 times)

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
NGC RV questions
« on: June 09, 2021, 08:50:55 PM »
I bought a Mini Winnie for my wife's birthday.. nice condition with 52k miles.. the V10 Ford E450..
What should I know..
Is there a forum like wild guzzi for RV's ?
It's been stored indoors in Mn and wintered in Texas.
Don't have it yet, he's getting the generator carb rebuilt and then will pick up. I got a good deal below current value and we are jazzed to be RVers.

MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
Re: NGC RV questions
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2021, 08:59:36 PM »
I don't know of any forum like Wild Guzzi.

One of the big RV forums is RV.Net  open roads forum

Another good site for campers is RV Park Reviews.com
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2021, 09:06:57 PM »
I don't know of any forum like Wild Guzzi.

One of the big RV forums is RV.Net  open roads forum

Another good site for campers is RV Park Reviews.com
That’s the same chassis and motor as our church bus, bullet proof, loads of power, quite and smooth. Regular maintenance should give you many thousands of trouble free miles.

Offline wrbix

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2021, 09:57:38 PM »
We just bought a Chinook Glacier on the same E450, 6.8 V10 platform.
The engine has a purported history of launching spark plugs, but most seem to think it’s a mechanics torquing issue. Supposedly easily repaired by TimeSert or the like.
Just spoke today to the mechanic who looks after my 7.3 PowerStroke F250 and I’ll have him do a look over of drivetrain and suspension with the caveat that it won’t fit on his lift.
Have an appointment end of the month to get our Honda Element set up as a Toad. Teresa is transitioning into travel nursing so look forward to seeing new parts of the country. 
Happy travels in your Minnie Winnie!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 10:10:16 PM by wrbix »
Bill in VA, sometimes FL

"Eschew aphorism"

LeMans IV - "Giulia"
Lario - "Giulietta"
V50III cafe'd - "Leggera"
‘77 Convert - “Sofia”
BMW airheads: R100RS, R100CS, R100GS, R100RT, R60/2 sidecar rig
Classic Mini
‘60 Austin Healey Sprite
Caterham Super Seven Sprint
‘13 Audi TTRS
Grumman AA5B (sold)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2021, 09:57:38 PM »

Offline wymple

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2021, 10:03:02 PM »
I used a lot of campgrounds when I was bit more able to be comfy in a tent. I saw a lot of those Mini Winnies and never saw an unhappy camper, as they say.
No trees were harmed by the conveyance of this message, but a lot of electrons were seriously disturbed.

Online nc43bsa

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2021, 11:38:10 PM »
Try classbforum.com, although I'm not sure that is a Class B RV.
1990 MilleGT

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2021, 06:24:56 AM »
I was into RVs for many years while raising a family. 

I don't know of any RV forums where the members will continually berate the leading RV manufacturer, or when clicking on "new posts" see more off topic threads than threads related to the subject of the forum.

But, there are plenty of good RV forums out there that discuss RV life.   :thumb:
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2021, 08:48:51 AM »
Although not on the same platform, you’ll probably get a kick out of “Switch It Up” on fb.
Some friends of mine who decided to leave all for RV’ing. Crazy kids....
inditx
inditx

This is the day.....

Offline pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2021, 09:11:44 AM »
Try classbforum.com, although I'm not sure that is a Class B RV.

No, that one is a Class-C.
A Class-B has the camper fixtures built directly into what was originally a tradesman's van.  The RV company has possession of the vehicle for perhaps months while all the fitting is done.
A Class-C is a box built away from the cockpit and chassis.  They buy a frame and cockpit nose with all of the hookup connections specified.  When the chassis arrives, the box is dropped into place and away  you go.
Here's my Class-B Roadtrek loaded and ready to roll for two successive events this week.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Offline pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2021, 09:18:54 AM »
What should I know..

Hah!  That's cute!
Imagine a giant picking up your house and giving it a good shake.  Let's see what systems and components survive.
Better get handy with maintenance.  Every trip I take ends up with a list of repairs and improvements to be accomplished before the next trip.
Study and understand every single component of the vehicle and how they interrelate.

Solar?
What kind of fridge technology?
How much coach battery storage capacity in AH?
How long can you 'boondock' without plugging to utilities?  Learn to be miserly about using stored water, stored toilet discharge, stored battery, etc.
What technology for the coach batteries?
Tires will age and crack before you wear out the tread.  Be prepared to discard what look like perfectly good tires.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Offline RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2021, 11:20:58 AM »

Hey Foto,  Congrats on the motorhome. We've had our 24' Gulfstream over 20 years now and the only thing We'd do different is a rear slideout.  What year, length and capacities is yours.  Ford Truck Enthusiast has been a great forum for me, because it's all the technical stuff on the chassis.  As Patrick sez, get to know all your systems inside and out. We've been coast to coast several times in ours and there are a multitude of RV parts and service outlets along the way. We try to do the backroads as much as possible and have found some pretty interesting places and people along the way. Join GoodSam and look into their roadside assistance.

It may fit your needs or not, depends how much work you do yourself.   One major thing to check is the seam on the roof between the overhead section and the main roof. The dum dum they use to caulk that joint becomes brittle and vibration cracks it. I re- did mine with brush on Flex seal and it's still pliable 5 years down the road.
   IRV2 is also a good forum for info and there are several others. Like anything else, some you have to take with a grain of salt.

Happy Trails!

Paul B :boozing:
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2021, 11:28:12 AM »
What Patrick says.  Unless you're making a huge commitment with time and money, I'd stick the keep it simple approach.  Be prepared to do upkeep and maintenance.  I always carry a complete tool box when I travel.   Rather than tack on a bunch of batteries and solar, you have a built in generator.  And even that might not be needed for occasional over nights.  The big deal with power, is to run the air conditioner/microwave and charge batteries.  Heat, fridge, music, TV, and cooking can go for days with batteries and propane alone.

One caution is that RV refrigerators run on propane and have hydrogen in them.  Any of them can be fire hazards whether you have $2k used rig or a half million dollar rock and roll tour bus.  Several are more prone to infernos and have been recalled, that would be one thing to check, although I think most of those have been taken off the road 20 years ago.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 11:48:17 AM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Travlr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2021, 11:51:35 AM »
Kay and I love our RV.  I may take it to Datil this year. 

Mike
1991 Moto Guzzi LeMans 5
1977 BMW R100S

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2021, 11:57:07 AM »
Thanks all, here's a few sort of answers, I don't have the rig yet. It has two near new coach batteries, I didn't note the amps.
The fridge I think is 3 way power. There is no solar but I'd like to have it in the future.
Roof recently resealed and. Supposedly never leaked.
It's 24' kitchen in rear, no bedroom, has the cubby bed above the cab and a Hidea- bed couch. One bump out behind the driver side.
I'd like to have a class B, the. I leave would probably be better but this was too good a deal to pass on. I was first in and second guy showed up as I was looking at it, thankfully he didn't make a higher than asking offer.

MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2021, 11:58:21 AM »
I need a cheap backup camera prefer battery operated with blue tooth to iPad or iPhone, maybe a dash cam too.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2021, 12:23:59 PM »
If you tow a trailer keep your tongue weight down because the rear frame is usually just a bolted on affair to support the coach and will break off if it’s overloaded on a bumpy road. It’s a huge complex job to repair. It’s best to use a double axle trailer to make your own toy hauler.  Nice truck!
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2021, 12:33:48 PM »
Not planning on trailering anything unless I win the raffle for the Harley that Luap posted.
I do have one of those hitch carriers for a wheelchair, maybe my Honda trail 90 will fit on that?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 12:35:50 PM by fotoguzzi »
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2021, 12:44:07 PM »
Not planning on trailering anything unless I win the raffle for the Harley that Luap posted.
I do have one of those hitch carriers for a wheelchair, maybe my Honda trail 90 will fit on that?

I think it would handle that ok.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline LaMojo

• New Egg
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2021, 01:50:34 PM »
We had one of those for years. Towed a heavy I/O ski boat without any problems. Got to be that you almost had a reservation for camping spots in most state parks.  We stayed in USACE parks when possible.
They all leak..eventually.  You would be wise to buy a carport shelter to park it under out of the weather.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 01:58:16 PM by LaMojo »

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2021, 08:37:12 PM »
I get a used class C a few years back. It is an E450, with the V10 Triton. It just works. And it sucks gasoline.

You have a house on wheels. The bumps and shaking will cause issue. Water leaks. Loose wiring, etc. etc. There will always be some little thing to annoy you. Hopefully, you are OK with doing most of your own maintenence, or you will need to have a good shop. I have heard stores of people leaving their RV in the shop for month on end for simple issues.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2021, 09:43:59 PM »
Good point Wayne.  If you think a Guzzi will turn you into a mechanic, get an RV.  Repair sources are booked up and expensive.  If you find a good one, let me know. 

Learn to work with flint propane refrigerator.  Hope you find a shop when you blow a wheel bearing on the road (at least if you have a trailer).  Someone to fix damaged siding, then to fix the frame (at least if you have a trailer).   And then someone like Dusty to help fix the rotten floor.  And then when it's broken into, insurance deductible won't help (busted door -twice- stolen generator, radio, this & that). 

Hint: NEVER LOCK THE RV IN STORAGE.  Let them steal what they want to prevent busting it up to get in.

All that, I've had great times in my Toy Hauler.  From Indy 500 to Ouray camping and riding to Grand Marias and riding at Deal's Gap.  It's been fun.  And when I go to a Guzzi Campout, someone needs a bed out of the rain, or needs to borrow my tools to get the bikes fixed and someone lost my air compressor.  All worth it, cost of doing business and fun. 
John L 

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2021, 08:46:24 AM »
Between the initial cost, maintenance, gasoline and insurance compared to just staying at a motel for someone who takes a three week vacation, is it even worth going down the RV road? 

Certainly if your on the road for months I can understand the investment but just sticking to the boundary of three to four week vacation, is it worth it?
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2021, 10:33:05 AM »
Motels suck for too many reasons to list. We have dogs for starters.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2021, 10:42:02 AM »
We like to take the old RV with a trailer full of motorcycles and camping stuff and go to a hopefully secluded spot where we set up a base of operations. Then we explore from there.  It’s so much nicer than a motel with the dog and all. Once the RV is paid for the cost difference between it and a motel is negligible and we prefer our own cooking and not worrying much about bedbugs. It’s more work but it’s worth it for us.
John
MGNOC L-471
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline wrbix

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2021, 01:14:05 PM »
Sounds like campgrounds (and Walmart parking lots) are fixin’ to get crowded (like they’re not already?)
https://www.businessinsider.com/rv-thor-industries-has-14-billion-order-backlog-inventory-2021-6
Bill in VA, sometimes FL

"Eschew aphorism"

LeMans IV - "Giulia"
Lario - "Giulietta"
V50III cafe'd - "Leggera"
‘77 Convert - “Sofia”
BMW airheads: R100RS, R100CS, R100GS, R100RT, R60/2 sidecar rig
Classic Mini
‘60 Austin Healey Sprite
Caterham Super Seven Sprint
‘13 Audi TTRS
Grumman AA5B (sold)

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2021, 01:25:03 PM »
Between the initial cost, maintenance, gasoline and insurance compared to just staying at a motel for someone who takes a three week vacation, is it even worth going down the RV road? 

Certainly if your on the road for months I can understand the investment but just sticking to the boundary of three to four week vacation, is it worth it?

It's like asking if it's worth it to have a motorcycle when you already have a work car.  It's not about economy, it's about enjoying the experience. No question there is little to no economic benefit with most RVs but rather it's the enjoyment of camping and getting out.

And I like going to campouts like Guzzi Rallies, Motorcycle Races, Indy 500 where the camping experience is a big part of the event itself and a tent isn't so comfortable. That's not even considering National Parks and great camping for camping sake.
John L 

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here