Author Topic: Facebook Marketplace and what IT says about motorcycle riders  (Read 3723 times)

Moto

Facebook Marketplace and what IT says about motorcycle riders
« on: February 14, 2019, 12:17:40 PM »
First, I don't belong to Facebook and probably neither do you, Guzzista!

But I heard a discussion about Facebook Marketplace on the radio that made me think about motorcycle trading in general, and motorcyclists in general.

The two women were advocating Facebook Marketplace -- a Craigslist-like feature -- precisely because all the traders there are Facebookers, and hence had verified ID's to join, along with photos and Walls and lord-knows-what available for inspection before anyone has to risk meeting anyone in person. How perfectly safe!!

This will never supplant Craigslist for motorcycle trading because we're almost all not the types to expose ourselves on social media. To get the good deals, we need to go to Craigslist, where the scum and the righteous post alike.

Some of us refuse to join Facebook on "principle," while others of us won't join out of fear of being held accountable some day for a concealed mechanical flaw, or worse.

Thus we motorcyclists are, and must remain, bottom feeders in the used marketplace. The shiny, happy people on Facebook are moving on.

Or so it seemed to me.

Moto
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 12:29:16 PM by Moto »

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Facebook Marketplace and what IT says about motorcycle riders
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 01:31:29 PM »

Thus we motorcyclists are, and must remain, bottom feeders in the used marketplace. The shiny, happy people on Facebook are moving on.

Or so it seemed to me.

Moto

Off they go then.   I'll hold the screen door for them so it doesn't hit anything!

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
  • It's never too late to be what you might have been
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 01:37:19 PM »
I am on FB. I can tell you that in the last 12 months I've seen a dozen Guzzi's come up within 150 miles of me that gave me pause, ZERO of which showed up on the local Craigslist. I can tell you that the sellers included some of the most respected and nationally known wrenches here on WG, and those bikes weren't available on WG either. 

all that to say, Facebook is certainly a timesuck and a source for a lot BS, but like anything, it can be used to serve a purpose, and it is, often, by Guzzistis as well as normal people.

'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Offline pat80flh

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 01:48:14 PM »
So that means there are no scammers on Facebook?
00 Bassa
80 FLH (in rehab)
84 V65C
75 850T prject

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 01:48:14 PM »

Moto

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 02:06:33 PM »
So that means there are no scammers on Facebook?

That's what the women on the radio seemed to believe. I have no personal knowledge.

Moto

Offline screamday

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 02:18:02 PM »
That's what the women on the radio seemed to believe. I have no personal knowledge.

Moto

I'm guessing that where ever there's money, there's scammers.
Tony in SC
"Comfort the disturbed and Disturb the comfortable"
1988 R100RS
1998 V11 EV

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2019, 02:23:22 PM »
I am on FB. I can tell you that in the last 12 months I've seen a dozen Guzzi's come up within 150 miles of me that gave me pause, ZERO of which showed up on the local Craigslist. I can tell you that the sellers included some of the most respected and nationally known wrenches here on WG, and those bikes weren't available on WG either. 

all that to say, Facebook is certainly a timesuck and a source for a lot BS, but like anything, it can be used to serve a purpose, and it is, often, by Guzzistis as well as normal people.

:thumb:

I use Facebook as a tool: to buy and sell, promote my business, communicate with customers, etc., and (down at the bottom of my reasons for being there) keep up with what my friends and family are up to. I don't get embroided in discussions about politics, religion or any other stupid crap. It's all about self-control.

I never would have found the minty '89 Mercedes 190E 2.6 w/78k miles ($2500) or the '02 VW Eurovan ($3200), both of which I bought last year, if I wasn't on Facebook and didn't look on Marketplace - they weren't advertised anywhere else. I've lost count of the great deals on parts I bought there and the numerous parts and bikes I've sold.

Scammers? Probably, but it's pretty easy to tell who's shady and who isn't. Easier than on Craigslist for sure.

Thanks for holding the door for me Lannis and for slamming it shut behind me. More good deals for me...  :wink:
Charlie

Offline Markcarovilli

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2019, 02:30:48 PM »
what Charlie said.....

it is a tool and easy to skip the BS you don't want to bother with.

Mark

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2019, 08:10:21 PM »
Thanks for holding the door for me Lannis and for slamming it shut behind me. More good deals for me...  :wink:

The fact that you're still here and on the Loop List indicates that YOU obviously aren't one of the shiny happy folk that have "moved on" from the Clan of the Cave People here to the world beyond ...  :wink:

Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2019, 10:12:15 PM »
The fact that you're still here and on the Loop List indicates that YOU obviously aren't one of the shiny happy folk that have "moved on" from the Clan of the Cave People here to the world beyond ...  :wink:

Lannis

I'm not only on the Loop List, I'm the owner/moderator.  :wink: I also created and moderate the "Loopframe Guzzi - '67-'76 V-Twins only" group on Facebook. One can never have too much Loopiness in ones life...  :grin:
Charlie

Online AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2019, 10:44:33 PM »
Facebook does have an advantage over Craigslist in that I can view a profile before I buy. It doesn't eliminate the scamming but it does help to minimize it. I also find prices on Facebook Marketplace are well below those listed anywhere else.

-AJ
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2019, 08:40:31 AM »
what Charlie said.....

it is a tool and easy to skip the BS you don't want to bother with.

Mark

I think it's a bit of an oversimplification to characterize Facebook as simply a "tool".

A Skilsaw, or a leak-down tester, or a concrete finisher is a "tool".   But nobody gets addicted to a Skilsaw; lives are not dominated and consumed by compression testers, and torque wrenches do not take your personal data and use it in ways you never knew or approved of.   

You could also say that whiskey is just a drink, and all you have to do is avoid getting drunk and wanting more.  But that would be an oversimplification too, and not fully describe the situation ....

Lannis
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 08:53:36 AM by Lannis »

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2019, 09:44:19 AM »
I think it's a bit of an oversimplification to characterize Facebook as simply a "tool".

A Skilsaw, or a leak-down tester, or a concrete finisher is a "tool".   But nobody gets addicted to a Skilsaw; lives are not dominated and consumed by compression testers, and torque wrenches do not take your personal data and use it in ways you never knew or approved of.   

You could also say that whiskey is just a drink, and all you have to do is avoid getting drunk and wanting more.  But that would be an oversimplification too, and not fully describe the situation ....

Lannis

Like I wrote - I use it as a tool. Facebook can only "take your personal data and use it in ways you never knew or approved of" if you give them that data in the first place. One can only be "dominated and consumed" if no self-control is exercised.     
Charlie

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2019, 10:41:49 AM »
Like I wrote - I use it as a tool. Facebook can only "take your personal data and use it in ways you never knew or approved of" if you give them that data in the first place. One can only be "dominated and consumed" if no self-control is exercised.   

For YOU and people like you, that works great and I'm glad .... About that self-control thing, though - maybe people whose lives are ruined by addiction are just people guilty of not having self-control and it's all their fault ... ?   

At any rate, my life's just way easier and more risk-free if I don't even wander around the borders of those tar pits ..... !

Lannis

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2019, 10:47:51 AM »
I find the Facebook paranoia here very humorous. *some* (won't mention names) of the members of this forum are actually easier to reach on FB than they are here. Not everyone who's had a drink are alcoholics and everyone on FB are not  "addicts" It's all in what you make it. And you don't HAVE to get into conversations you're not interested in, you can scroll on by if you like (just like here)  I don't understand how spending all your time here or there is any different. I'm sure we all have more productive things we could do with our time. Although I've never bought anything on FB Marketplace I do look at it from time to time, you can get a good idea about who your dealing with before you make a deal. Now for a  big 'ol Chuck <SHRUG>

Oh and I've never seen anyone say.........now fellas..... on Facebook either.
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2019, 10:51:30 AM »
Not everyone who's had a drink are alcoholics and everyone on FB are not  "addicts" It's all in what you make it. And you don't HAVE to get into conversations you're not interested in, you can scroll on by if you like (just like here)  I don't understand how spending all your time here or there is any different. I'm sure we all have more productive things we could do with our time....

Oh and I've never seen anyone say.........now fellas..... on Facebook either.

Oi, that's what I just said!   This group's in agreement more often than it's not ....

Lannis

Offline kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
  • It's never too late to be what you might have been
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2019, 11:11:11 AM »
it's an interesting topic. There is so much made of the lack of interest in motorcycles in general, and Guzzis specifically, here on this forum. However, many of those voicing this sentiment have excluded themselves to a large degree from the "village square" where the bulk of the tire kicking and 'buzz' is taking place. Charlie can speak for himself, but to me, there seems to be a lot more excitement around the brand than most here believe, generally speaking, and I think it may be because of what i see and hear everyday on FB. Not advocating for FB, HARDLY, I despise it more than not. But as it relates to the perception of Guzzi in the public eye, I think it adds visibility.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 11:13:05 AM by kidsmoke »
'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2019, 11:20:38 AM »
it's an interesting topic. There is so much made of the lack of interest in motorcycles in general, and Guzzis specifically, here on this forum. However, many of those voicing this sentiment have excluded themselves to a large degree from the "village square" where the bulk of the tire kicking and 'buzz' is taking place. Charlie can speak for himself, but to me, there seems to be a lot more excitement around the brand than most here believe, generally speaking, and I think it may be because of what i see and hear everyday on FB. Not advocating for FB, HARDLY, I despise it more than not. But as it relates to the perception of Guzzi in the public eye, I think it adds visibility.

Agreed, The FB Guzzi page from jolly old England never has "lack of interest" comments. They're very positive. Even invited me "across the pond" to ride the UK and check out some local pubs! Very friendly!

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2019, 11:21:56 AM »
Oi, that's what I just said!   This group's in agreement more often than it's not ....

Lannis

:thumb: We probably have more in common than we realize Lannis

twowings

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2019, 11:27:22 AM »
It's not the people on Facebook, it's the sleazebags that run the place...I refuse to let them monetize my information just like I refuse to pimp for car dealerships by leaving their decals/nameplate on my automobiles...even if they were giving Guzzis away absolutely free on FB, count me out permanently...

Moto

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2019, 03:11:25 PM »
Very interesting replies. As I said, I know nothing about FB, just what I hear.

Maybe I'll start the process of signing up and see if the demands are really objectionable. Or maybe not. One more time sink is not what I need.

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2019, 03:18:20 PM »
It's not the people on Facebook, it's the sleazebags that run the place...I refuse to let them monetize my information just like I refuse to pimp for car dealerships by leaving their decals/nameplate on my automobiles...even if they were giving Guzzis away absolutely free on FB, count me out permanently...

You're making a UGE difference Chris. I hope Zuckerburg makes it through the weekend!  :wink:

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2019, 08:53:14 AM »
 I don't go to Fakebook, never will.  and that's the end of that.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

bobrebos

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2019, 02:25:58 AM »
Guess I’m a weirdo of some type then.  I use Facebook and enjoy its marketplace and keeping up to date with friends and relatives.  I’m a pro-Facebook user.  No complaints from me.  Sorry so many here don’t like it.  I will continue to use its features, and yes it can become an addiction so keep its time usage down to a manageable amount. 

I also use it to run the Georgia Tennessee area Moto Guzzi enthusiasts page, to post get togethers and such to get like minded riders together sometimes....
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 02:28:59 AM by bobrebos »

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here