Author Topic: Will the Guzzi Watch go up in value?  (Read 14398 times)

Offline Steph

• Gaggle Hero
  • Cali Stone/ LM3
Will the Guzzi Watch go up in value?
« on: January 18, 2015, 06:41:47 PM »
I went on the Junkers watch website and they all seem very expensive.
https://shop.junkers.de/en/

I don't want to sell, but will this watch appreciate with its Swiss movement ?

(I'm the lucky owner of #78 :) )

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
Re: Will the Guzzi Watch go up in value?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 07:33:55 PM »
LOL..the only thing worse than investing in a Guzzi (for a monetary profit) is investing in a Guzzi watch..
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Greg Field

• Gaggle Hero
  • The Signs Foretell the Rise of a Guzzi Lama . . .
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 07:34:47 PM »
Sadly, I have worn out the leather band on my watch, Steph. That is no reflection of the original product, but it it what is is . . .
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 07:35:35 PM by Greg Field »

Penderic

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 09:46:09 PM »
Time will tell.

;D

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 09:46:09 PM »

Offline mgfan

• Gosling
  • Escaping the "home"
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2015, 10:08:15 PM »
I've been waiting for my Mr.Peanut watch to go up in value, so far no luck!   :BEER:
70 Ambassador, 74 Eldorado,  76 I-Convert, 71 Police Ambassador, 86 Califonia II, 90 California III, 03 Stone, 07 Norge

Offline NCAmother

• Gaggle Mentor
    • NathanAppel (NSFW)
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2015, 10:37:26 PM »
It really depends on which company made the watch.  The big names tend not to make novelty watches

Penderic

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2015, 12:53:41 AM »
The Darn good ones are complicated.

Watch this!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfNOgWGME_c#t=11

Tweezers!  :pop

Offline pete mcgee

• Gosling
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2015, 02:17:04 AM »
 Is that the watch that was organised by this forum about 10 years ago?
Pete (no not the Bungendore one)

Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people look intelligent until you hear them speak....

Offline AMGeneral

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2015, 02:20:27 AM »
I got a Moto Guzzi speedo watch off ebay. Was supposed to have a nice clear face of the Guzzi speedo gauge. But the watch I got had such a cloudy light and dark blotches in the face that it isn't worth wearing. Not worried about it as I only paid 99 cents for the watch.
2000 Jackal 62,900

Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

"Just think how stupid the average person is,
and then realize that half of them
are even stupider!"
--George Carlin

Offline Steph

• Gaggle Hero
  • Cali Stone/ LM3
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2015, 05:20:19 AM »
Sadly, I have worn out the leather band on my watch, Steph. That is no reflection of the original product, but it it what is is . . .

I too wore-out the original leather band, it now sports a brown Hirsh leather band that looks great.

Jokes aside, the watch has a quality Swiss made automatic ETA 2924 (?) movement  that will last forever (apparently )

The casing was fabricate by Junkers watch in Germany.
Btw, I don't consider it a cheap novelty watch, by no mean!

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2015, 05:51:53 AM »
The Darn good ones are complicated.

Watch this!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfNOgWGME_c#t=11

Tweezers!  :pop

My grandfather was a watchmaker. I am completely unable to do little fussy things like that... Thanks for the video. ;-T
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

dilligaf

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2015, 06:30:32 AM »
Some year back, actually many years back, a long, long time ago one the ET's purchased a Rolex Submariner from the ships store.  Advertised to be good to 600 feet.  WE  attached it to one of the hand holds on the bridge and down we went to test depth, 412 feet so the watch was close to 370 feet.  Full of water when we surfaced about half hour later.  :BEER:
Matt 

Offline twhitaker

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2015, 09:34:02 AM »
That was a Submariner watch and it might have been rated for 600 feet inside the sub.  ;D
'96 California 1100i 160,000 mi
'97 Centauro yellow 25,000 mi
'02 Champagne V11 LeMans 58,000 mi
MGNOC-11168
Dayton, OH

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2015, 09:54:06 AM »
In a word - no. I am of course open to second opinions...

Sometimes the best reason to log on to this sight is watching the pun with wordplay.

Reading Chuck's comment on his grandfather being a watch maker and Chuck noting a lack of tolerance for "fussy" little things like that doesn't take into account his grandfather's good fortune in engaging in an activity in which he made his own hours...

Todd.
Todd
07 Calvin            77 TT500
95 Sport 1100      04 Breva 750
82 Katana           79 GS850G
72 "Crud"dorado
03 Barely Davidson 883 Huggy
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2015, 10:15:17 AM »
The leather band is a consumable item and does not impact value.  The Junkers brand is owned by POINTtec as well as the brand name Zeppelin.  During the watch craze it was common that new manufacturers would bring back older watch names in order to add some prestige to their product.  

That said I've seen a couple of those Guzzi watches and they appear to be well made.  They certainly were worth the price that you paid for it and with the right buyer you never know what price you might get for it if you sell.

George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Offline Mark West

• Gaggle Hero
  • Get Lost.... it's good for you!
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2015, 10:23:55 AM »
I think the Guzzi watch could possibly be worth more than it's original cost. For one, there are only 200 of them and they are numbered. The designer indicated he would destroy the artwork afterward so no more could be made. Secondly it is a quality watch and not just a POS with Guzzi logo on it. Lastly, the original cost of the watch was likely a lot lower than retail. Remember that Jens, who designed the watch, was the official Junkers importer and he indicated that he was basically selling the watches at his cost.

My guess is that if you put it on ebay or maybe even offered it here, you could probably get more than your money back but probably not a whole lot more. Personally, I'll never sell mine. Wear it just about every day. I'm on strap number 3 but the watch, which has been banged around pretty good looks damn good.
Mark West
Hollister, CA
MGNOC L-752

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2015, 10:33:13 AM »
You never mentioned what you paid.
The price of the Euro has gone nuts since you bought the piece.
The price of the Swiss franc has spiked way above the Euro.
The base movement is an ETA 2824- considerd a prosaic, yet rugged piece used in a vast number of the sub $1,000 Swiss watches.
The casework most likely was done by some Swiss subcontractor The dial by another company and the hands by a third. It may have been assembled by Junkers- or Junkers may just have marketed the deal (most likely).

The cost of a simple mechanical piece like this new today is probably horrifying. You can thank nuevo riche Chinese, Arab, and Eastern Europeans for driving up the prices. At the same time, you can thank the Swatch Group for tightening the availability and pricing on the base movement.

So to answer your question, will it appreciate? No. It's a "custom" contracted piece that is of value to the members of that group. There is nothing Junkers about it and it has no appeal to the greater watch collecting public. That doesn't mean it's a  cheap or worthless watch. It's an honest movement and decent casework. The design is quite tasteful and restrained. Buying a new one would be obscenely expensive. Just wear the piece and make sure that you have it serviced every 5 years or so by someone competent (NOT some dope who will just "dip" the movement).

« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 10:36:28 AM by boatdetective »
Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 Griso 1100 "Bluto" (departed but not forgotten)
2003 EV "Lola" gone to the "Ridin' Realtor" in Peoria
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

"Who's the cat who won't cop out, when there's danger all about?"  -Isaac Hayes

Penderic

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2015, 10:52:12 AM »
I got a Moto Guzzi speedo watch off ebay. Was supposed to have a nice clear face of the Guzzi speedo gauge. But the watch I got had such a cloudy light and dark blotches in the face that it isn't worth wearing. Not worried about it as I only paid 99 cents for the watch.

I'll give you $1.25!  8)

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2015, 10:56:15 AM »
My Casio calculator watch isn't going up in value, but it's been holding at $20 pretty well over the years.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2015, 11:40:54 AM »
I've been waiting for my Mr.Peanut watch to go up in value, so far no luck!   :BEER:

Mr.Peanut is the ultimate symbol of American capitalism...  A peanut in a top hat and monocle selling you other peanuts to eat!  ;D
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Online Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2015, 11:41:02 AM »

I've had to replace my band twice. The first I paid large $$$ for at a watch shop. It didn't last long. The second I just bought off of Ebay for about $8. It is comfortable leather, and has held up well.

Sadly, my watch is damaged. I took it off to shower, and it fell onto a tile floor. It cracked the rear glass and sent a few glass bits into the mechanics. I'm not going to get it repaired until I am sure I can trust them. And I trust nobody.  ~;

Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Penderic

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2015, 02:15:47 PM »
Could we auction the watch to the board's members and the proceeds go to the boards basic expenses or to fund a special event for the members or honorarium for a poll winner?  :BEER:

$2.00!  8)

Offline segesta

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2015, 02:22:03 PM »
The base movement is an ETA 2824- considerd a prosaic, yet rugged piece used in a vast number of the sub $1,000 Swiss watches.
The casework most likely was done by some Swiss subcontractor The dial by another company and the hands by a third. It may have been assembled by Junkers- or Junkers may just have marketed the deal (most likely).

The cost of a simple mechanical piece like this new today is probably horrifying. You can thank nuevo riche Chinese, Arab, and Eastern Europeans for driving up the prices. At the same time, you can thank the Swatch Group for tightening the availability and pricing on the base movement.

So to answer your question, will it appreciate? No. It's a "custom" contracted piece that is of value to the members of that group. There is nothing Junkers about it and it has no appeal to the greater watch collecting public. That doesn't mean it's a  cheap or worthless watch. It's an honest movement and decent casework. The design is quite tasteful and restrained. Buying a new one would be obscenely expensive. Just wear the piece and make sure that you have it serviced every 5 years or so by someone competent (NOT some dope who will just "dip" the movement).

As a watch geek, I completely agree. Just enjoy the watch.
--
2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Custom
2013 Ducati Monster 796
2010 BMW K1300GT

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2015, 02:38:12 PM »
I've had to replace my band twice. The first I paid large $$$ for at a watch shop. It didn't last long. The second I just bought off of Ebay for about $8. It is comfortable leather, and has held up well.

Sadly, my watch is damaged. I took it off to shower, and it fell onto a tile floor. It cracked the rear glass and sent a few glass bits into the mechanics. I'm not going to get it repaired until I am sure I can trust them. And I trust nobody.  ~;

You should reach out to Lauri screen name Green1000s. He knows a little something about watches and I'm sure he can direct you to someone trustworthy to perform the repairs.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Mark West

• Gaggle Hero
  • Get Lost.... it's good for you!
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2015, 03:06:02 PM »

Actually the Euro has tanked or the dollar has strengthened depending on how you look at it. I received my watch in June or 2007 and the exchange rate was 1.35. Today its 1.23. Between then and now, it did get quite high but right now, it's pretty bad. The Swiss Franc did recently spike because their equivalent of a central bank decided to stop keeping it low by printing money. They had printed close to a trillion dollars trying to keep it down and decided they couldn't keep that up.
Mark West
Hollister, CA
MGNOC L-752

Online twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2015, 09:28:03 PM »
Didn't know people still wear watches.  Between the smart phone and clocks on all the bikes, oh and the GPS...
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2015, 10:13:44 PM »
I'll give you $1.25!  8)

$1. 30 !   ::(
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here