Author Topic: Airbox vs. Pods question  (Read 3051 times)

Offline NCAmother

• Gaggle Mentor
    • NathanAppel (NSFW)
Airbox vs. Pods question
« on: May 29, 2015, 12:13:57 PM »
Still working on that old 850T, I'm running flat slide carbs and I'm looking at options for air filtering.  Unfortunately, the 850T I picked up didn't come with an airbox.   I've heard that the airbox is the way to go vs. separate pods.  My question is: is there a real loss in driveability/performance running pods instead of an airbox?   If I do go with pods, what are some suggested brands?  Thanks in advance.
Nathan aka MOM

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
Re: Airbox vs. Pods question
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 12:29:35 PM »
The 850-T, like the V7 Sport, didn't come with an airbox, just a rubber plenum with a screen at the bottom. What pod filters you use depends on what "velocity stacks" you have. Some information here:  http://www.thisoldtractor.com/moto_guzzi_loopframe_air_filters.html

My favorite is these stacks:

http://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=279&products_id=3201

with these filters: http://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=164_166&products_id=1907
Charlie

Offline NCAmother

• Gaggle Mentor
    • NathanAppel (NSFW)
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 12:41:19 PM »
The 850-T, like the V7 Sport, didn't come with an airbox, just a rubber plenum with a screen at the bottom. What pod filters you use depends on what "velocity stacks" you have. Some information here:  http://www.thisoldtractor.com/moto_guzzi_loopframe_air_filters.html

My favorite is these stacks:

http://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=279&products_id=3201

with these filters: http://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=164_166&products_id=1907
Thanks Antietam, always good with the advice! :)

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 12:42:25 PM »
Those are the pods I use on my T5.  Have had them on there for about 50k miles now.  Keep them cleaned and oiled.

You may have to change carb setup depending on what they had before (jets and or rod position).
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 12:42:25 PM »

Offline NCAmother

• Gaggle Mentor
    • NathanAppel (NSFW)
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 12:48:41 PM »
These are what I'm running.  I can remove the velocity stacks and probably machine an adapter for a pod? Or is there an actual pod that will work with the trumpet velocity stacks?  
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 12:50:20 PM by NCAmother »

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 12:59:45 PM »
If you go with pods, you might consider Uni foam filters.  I changed to them on my Mille, which had K&Ns on it when I bought it, after reading some test results on effectiveness of filtering.  They often come with a red prefilter on them, but for street use you can remove those.  I had to do that to get them to fit.

It looks like you can cut off the stacks to make them into pod mounting flanges.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 01:01:39 PM by Triple Jim »
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2015, 01:06:38 PM »
These are what I'm running.  I can remove the velocity stacks and probably machine an adapter for a pod? Or is there an actual pod that will work with the trumpet velocity stacks?  

Oh! Those flat slides.  ;D I thought you meant the original VHBs. Disregard everything I posted.  ;)
Charlie

Offline NCAmother

• Gaggle Mentor
    • NathanAppel (NSFW)
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2015, 01:08:34 PM »
If you go with pods, you might consider Uni foam filters.  I changed to them on my Mille, which had K&Ns on it when I bought it, after reading some test results on effectiveness of filtering.  They often come with a red prefilter on them, but for street use you can remove those.  I had to do that to get them to fit.

It looks like you can cut off the stacks to make them into pod mounting flanges.
Thanks Jim,
I actually prefer the "look" of the Uni's over K&N, but that's personal preference
Cutting the "bell mouth" off the stacks is a brilliant idea. They are made of some type of plastic composite material
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 01:10:23 PM by NCAmother »

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2015, 01:20:53 PM »
The Unis have a fairly soft rubber mounting collar, and they're very light, so I think they'd be fine on those plastic stacks as long as you can tighten the clamps enough to keep them secure without hurting the plastic of the stacks.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

andrewdonald1

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2015, 02:47:46 PM »
In my experience only with inline 4's, air and oil cooled.
Pods on carbs are not the greatest.
Pods are more susceptible to atmospheric changes as well as heat build up behind the motor.
This means your jetting is not as good for a larger range of intake air conditions.
A plenum therefore is much better.

On Guzzi's: no experience.

Offline NCAmother

• Gaggle Mentor
    • NathanAppel (NSFW)
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2015, 02:57:23 PM »
In my experience only with inline 4's, air and oil cooled.
Pods on carbs are not the greatest.
Pods are more susceptible to atmospheric changes as well as heat build up behind the motor.
This means your jetting is not as good for a larger range of intake air conditions.
A plenum therefore is much better.

On Guzzi's: no experience.

Andrew, I tend to agree with you in a sense that I've worked with more multi carbed autos than bikes.  Generally a large surfaced area filter covering two or three carbs is the standard (twin 4bbl/Six Pack)   In the case of building a guzzi with non stock carbs, I'm afraid I am stuck with using separate filters  (I'm not confident enough in my fabrication skills to make an air box)

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here