Author Topic: Tire disposal  (Read 5040 times)

Rough Edge racing

Tire disposal
« on: June 10, 2019, 10:54:01 AM »
 I change my own bikes tires and occasionally do it for friend...So...there's always a few unwanted tires hanging around....I cut the beads on both sides with a bolt cutter in three or four locations like cuting a pie...Then using a recip saw with a 12 tooth metal blade, I cut the ties into sections...They go into a garbage bag and I take them to the landfill with our household trash ( we don't have trash pick up)...The sign at the landfill says "No Tires" and a image of a round complete tire...Mine are in pieces and aren't the bury problem of whole tires.......And they won't be the only non degradeable crap in the landfill.  And cutting the tires is a good workout....

Offline Penderic

• Hatchling
Re: Tire disposal
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 11:08:56 AM »
Thats a good way of dealing with those smaller tires.

I remember they used to burn the old tires in the cement kilns back in the 70's.

What to do with em now?

:huh: "Maybe make half of em into speed bumps?"

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 11:55:52 AM »
I used to work at a dealer, and we had them picked up all the time..  Now I dont, but my local transfer station takes them. Its like 2-3 bucks. Cheap enough for me.
Paul B

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2019, 12:14:27 PM »
2 bucks per tire here. Doesn't matter what size.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2019, 12:14:27 PM »

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2019, 12:18:47 PM »
The local motorcycle dealer used to take mine.  Charged me $3 each.  Mom & Pop place.  They retired.

We also have a place here called "Tire Shredders" and they will also take them - for a small fee.

They grind them up and there's a small power plant somewhere around there that will switch over and burn them, on occasion - but they gotta have a huge amount to justify the cost of the changeover.

Offline Fontain25

• Hatchling
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2019, 12:21:34 PM »
I dump mine at the HD dealership after midnight.

Online dguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sorry, I'm woke so I'll be quiet.
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2019, 12:22:51 PM »
"THEY" could thermally depolymerize them back into oil.  To expensive I imagine. I think they grind them up to add to asphalt for roads and running tracks,
things like driveway surface and toolbox mats. 

Lets get started on sorting that pile....you first!
'03 EVT
'87 Cagiva
'72 Commando
'71 Commando
'90 Miata
'16 Mustang

Offline wirespokes

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2019, 12:37:01 PM »
I've done the same - cut them into two or three pieces for the dump. They're not tires anymore but rubber scrap.

Didn't they build earth houses with old tires?

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2019, 01:16:42 PM »
I gladly pay the $2 for m/c tires to be recycled into whatever. Car tires are $4 and can get up to $20 for big tractor tires. Then you have ole Bubba that just tosses them in the ditch and us taxpayers pay to pick them up. GRRRR.

Tex

Offline Idontwantapickle

• Gaggle Hero
  • The rotation of the earth really makes my day.
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2019, 01:25:21 PM »
I now have tires installed by the bike shop because I can't be bothered. It also helps them stay in business I suppose. :laugh:
I feel like things that have a disposal path that doesn't end at the landfill need to be reused or recycled properly. We fill our recycle bin far quicker than the trash bin and often I need to borrow one from a nearby residence that is under construction and not being used.
I may not be a tree hugger but I will go out of my way to keep the planet usable for a bit longer.

Hunter
There is no end to what we can do together.
Sir James Paul McCartney

AMA Charter Life Member

72 Eldo
85 LeMans 1000 Loud, Fast and Red
2007 Norge rivestimento di argento
84 BMW R100RS

Offline larrys

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2019, 01:42:43 PM »
My town dump takes them for $3 per tire any tire. A recycling company picks them up.
Larry
'13 Monster 1100 EVO
'95 Cal 1100
'68 Bonneville

MGNOC 7248

Online PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2019, 01:52:34 PM »
Local Honda dealer is a mile up the road. I don't mind paying the few bucks he charges. They never give me grief with inspections. If there is a problem they let me take the bike home and fix it myself. Not 25 bucks to change a lightbulb.

Pete

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2019, 04:14:36 PM »
Here in Sydney it can cost up to $6 (AUD) at the tip. Somewhat steep. If you've a little land, you can pile a few up, with a little soil, a lot of straw, and layer in seed potatoes or other tubers. Better with car tyres. 3 or 4 bike tyres are a good home for strawberries. The only difficulty is that the women don't seem to appreciate lumps of black in the garden. You can paint them, but the paint doesn't last. If you're lucky, the greenery will cascade over the sides, quickly.
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2019, 05:18:11 PM »
I gladly pay the $2 for m/c tires to be recycled into whatever. Car tires are $4 and can get up to $20 for big tractor tires. Then you have ole Bubba that just tosses them in the ditch and us taxpayers pay to pick them up. GRRRR.

Tex

Around here, the farmer gets to pick them up, along with the occasional dead TV, mattress, washing machine, roofing material, etc.  :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Of course, this was a different time, but the old man held a guy at gun point until the county sheriff could get there when he caught the guy dumping junk in our side ditch.  :grin:
The judge told the guy he could go to jail on the weekends or spend the summer weekends picking trash out of the sideditches.
True story.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2019, 05:48:24 PM »
I dump mine at the HD dealership after midnight.
That’s a fairly serious misdemeanor where I live,  check for cameras 😂

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2019, 06:36:00 PM »
 A guy down the road has a covert bike/atv repair business he runs out of garage...Last fall  my wife's ATV needed rear tires, so I rode over there and ordered tires..The price was just ok ..I left off the ATV and he mounts the tires. I go back down to pay him and to ride back the ATV...The damn old tires are on the rear rack..I tell him I don't want the bald ass tires..he says he can't get rid of them, of course it's BS..Two more tires I cut up...

Offline cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2019, 07:22:09 PM »
Around here, the farmer gets to pick them up, along with the occasional dead TV, mattress, washing machine, roofing material, etc.  :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Of course, this was a different time, but the old man held a guy at gun point until the county sheriff could get there when he caught the guy dumping junk in our side ditch.  :grin:
The judge told the guy he could go to jail on the weekends or spend the summer weekends picking trash out of the sideditches.
True story.

We had the same problem at the back farm in VT in the late 80's. so Gramp started locking a chain across the drive.  Didn't help.  "They" started cutting tires on equipment, cutting the chain and dumping more, etc.  so he started driving up to check.  Gram rode with him, just in case.  We had an old trailer up there next to the pond that we had used when swimming.  Well, one night ithe neighboring farmer's daughter was recreating in the trailer with her boyfriend.  Gramp told them to get dressed and come out.  They said "F--- off old man- mind your own business.."

So Gramp walked in on them, took their clothes and went back outside.  He  told them to tell them some names about who was dumping and wrecking equipment and he would give them their clothes.  She told him the same thing again & to give back their clothes...   Wrong answer.

Gramp told my grandmother to go get the Sheriff.  She wasn't keen on leaving him.  he told her they were naked and he had both their clothes & a gun, so he doubted they would cause any problems.  Sheriff came, some good info was shared and things got a little better.  The dumping stopped for quite a while and a bunch of us had lots of laughs over that for quite a while.

Tires here are free to dispose of 2-3 at a time at the landfill, then a few dollars each after that.   
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

Offline wirespokes

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2019, 09:02:14 PM »
The audacity of criminals never fails to amaze me.

Online Turin

• Gaggle Hero
    • crap and stuff
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2019, 11:46:49 PM »
Tires are ground into crumb rubber that is added to asphalt and turned into a polymer found in many asphalt sealers. I'd rather see something get put to use, be it an old motorcycle, or a recyclable. Cutting up a tire to hide it in a landfill doesn't do anybody any good.
1997 Daytona RS
1991 Rennsport California III
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1984 LeMans III
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1996 Triumph Daytona 1200
1996 Triumph Daytona 900
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

Pizza Guzzi

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2019, 01:43:30 AM »
There's an Australian company called Green Distillation Technologies who  have developed a process involving distillation processing old tyres to recover oil, carbon and steel.
As an aside I wonder how many tons of rubber worn off as vehicles traverse the roads are washed into creeks etc - quite a lot I imagine.

Glenn
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 01:44:48 AM by Pizza Guzzi »

Offline bobbyfromnc

• Gosling
    • Bobby Writes
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2019, 06:00:43 AM »
If your tires still have a little life left in them 1000, 1500 miles or so, consider donating them to a local shop for someone who may be in a pinch financially or having a bit of bad luck etc, who would love to have them till they can do better. The shop makes a few bucks installing them, tires at little to no cost... Spread the Karma.

Offline pat80flh

• Gosling
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2019, 06:03:33 AM »
Our county landfill (Ontario Co. NY) takes old tires IF the sidewalls are cut out. While most larger establishments have recyclers pick up scrap tires, the old Mom and Pop shop I used to work for would cut all discarded tires up by hand, with a utility knife, then put them in the dumpster. A nasty dirty job which usually fell to the petroleum transfer engineers.  I still cut my old tires up and put them in with the  rest of the garbage.
00 Bassa
80 FLH (in rehab)
84 V65C
75 850T prject

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2019, 07:47:36 AM »
 You could fill them with water and use them for mosquito nurseries.  Add a few drops of oil to make them feel welcome.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline Rick in WNY

• Gosling
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2019, 09:46:17 AM »
I go to my local shop, let them change the tires. They charge me a couple bucks for disposal, aka, there's a truck that comes by about once a month and picks up the old rubber and hauls them away for recycling.

I generally just bring in a dismounted wheel so all they have to do is dismount the old tire, mount the new tire, and balance. If I buy the tire from them, that service is free. I've done the math, last tire I bought there I could have gotten cheaper someplace online, but by the time I had it shipped to me, then add in a mount/balance fee... the difference was less than $10 and they had the tire I wanted in house. Since I brought them the wheel... no appointment needed, and the whole job took them about 15 minutes and they even put the wheel back into my truck for me... but then, this is why they get my business.
Guzzi Owner since May 20, 2017
  2004 California Titanium

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2019, 09:56:23 AM »
Tires are ground into crumb rubber that is added to asphalt and turned into a polymer found in many asphalt sealers. I'd rather see something get put to use, be it an old motorcycle, or a recyclable. Cutting up a tire to hide it in a landfill doesn't do anybody any good.

:thumb:

I haul all of mine to the main Washington Co. landfill in Hagerstown, $3 per tire. They're loaded into a semi trailer and from there I'm not sure where they go. 
Charlie

Offline buster1

• New Egg
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2019, 02:01:11 PM »
I change my own bikes tires and occasionally do it for friend...So...there's always a few unwanted tires hanging around....I cut the beads on both sides with a bolt cutter in three or four locations like cuting a pie...Then using a recip saw with a 12 tooth metal blade, I cut the ties into sections...They go into a garbage bag and I take them to the landfill with our household trash ( we don't have trash pick up)...The sign at the landfill says "No Tires" and a image of a round complete tire...Mine are in pieces and aren't the bury problem of whole tires.......And they won't be the only non degradeable crap in the landfill.  And cutting the tires is a good workout....
put the old tires in a fire pit and burn them works for me

Offline Mike Tashjian

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2019, 06:51:03 AM »
Our county burns trash and makes electricity that we then sell back to the grid.  It was a somewhat poor decision that we will live with for decades.  I am also fond of cutting up an occasional tire and putting it in the regular trash.  I don't know where the bulk of the tires go but the wife is keen on using a rubber mulch product for the blueberries that is made from old tires.  I will be curious to see how it holds up over time.  Mike

Offline azguzzirep

• Gaggle Hero
  • Gratzi Carlo!
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2019, 07:26:27 AM »
In Arizona, you HAVE to pay  $4 per tire for a disposal fee, which is o.k., but WHY  are there then so many USED tire shops around??

I think we are being conned..
Murphy's  Law sucks!

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2019, 08:07:03 AM »
If your tires still have a little life left in them 1000, 1500 miles or so, consider donating them to a local shop for someone who may be in a pinch financially or having a bit of bad luck etc, who would love to have them till they can do better. The shop makes a few bucks installing them, tires at little to no cost... Spread the Karma.

The shop that changes my bike tires (the ones I don't change myself, sometimes I'm lazy) puts them outside and people take them and use them.   The last one I put out was right down to the wear bars, 1/32" inch tread left but someone could've got a few hundred more miles out of it.

I think it's the "Biker Boyz" source for tires to do spectacular smoky burnouts.   We say "Geez, that guy just burned up a $200 tire" but if it was free to begin with .... !

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline mtiberio

• Gaggle Hero
    • TiberioRacing
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2019, 09:20:24 AM »
Interesting story. Seems an enterprising person had a business where by he would pick up used tires from all the local shops for $1 a tire. He was renting a house, and filled the entire house, basement to attic with 40,000 tires. Made $40K and split, leaving the mess for the landlord.
Land Speed Records w/Guzzzi:
SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH
http://gjm.site90.com/mtiberio

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here