Author Topic: Tire thread  (Read 5963 times)

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
Tire thread
« on: March 02, 2015, 10:58:15 AM »
 ;D
I'm looking for a new set of shoes for the commie thumper. I generally believe that bike manufacturers know better than I what sizes work. "The book" calls for 110/70-17 and 150/60-17. I'm having a hard time finding good sport touring rubber in exactly these sizes by the same manufacturer. Of course, everybody and their brother has 120/70s and  160/60s. Whadaya think?
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Tire thread
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 11:03:27 AM »
;D
I'm looking for a new set of shoes for the commie thumper. I generally believe that bike manufacturers know better than I what sizes work. "The book" calls for 110/70-17 and 150/60-17. I'm having a hard time finding good sport touring rubber in exactly these sizes by the same manufacturer. Of course, everybody and their brother has 120/70s and  160/60s. Whadaya think?

Me personal, I'd rather have the right size rubber front and rear rather than change sizes because I can't find front and rear tires in the right size "from the same manufacturer".   

I seldom run the same brand front and rear ... don't think there's a good reason for it other than "peace of an orderly mind" ...  ;-T

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 11:10:06 AM »
Charlie

oldbike54

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 11:12:16 AM »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 11:12:16 AM »

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 11:25:59 AM »
Didn't see those.. I'll order a pair. Gotta love WG..  ;-T
Thanks.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 12:09:34 PM »
Let us know how they work.  I like the Shinko I have on the back of mine.  Not as grippy as those but as good as the BT45's.

1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2015, 04:47:49 PM »
Let us know how they work.  I like the Shinko I have on the back of mine.  Not as grippy as those but as good as the BT45's.

I'll do that, Charlie. I've never had a Shinko, but a friend that has lived in the far east says that the Koreans and Vietnamese are buds, and the Koreans get the "good" rubber. <shrug>  ;D He likes them, at any rate.
Shirley,  ;D Spring will eventually get here. There's about 10 inches of snow on the ground as we speak.. I'll report back later.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 04:57:39 PM »
I have a new Shinko for the first time on the rear of the T-3. Mainly hope it lasts longer than the Avons that have averaged around only 3,000 miles. Have not had a chance to take it out yet.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline Spuddy

• Gaggle Hero
  • Best Thing About A Mind Is Being Able To Change It
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2015, 05:37:15 PM »
LOVE my Shinko 705's on the Quota.  Perhaps 80 on 20 off.  Great tires on the Quota all by itself.  Tugging the Ural I got 5k rear and 8k front.  I think that's exceptional on a sidecar outfit.  Installing a second set as we speak....

Spuddy
'13 Stelvio NTX
'07 California Vintage
'01 W650
'00 Quota 1100ES + Ural

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2015, 06:15:05 PM »
LOVE my Shinko 705's on the Quota.  Perhaps 80 on 20 off.  Great tires on the Quota all by itself.  Tugging the Ural I got 5k rear and 8k front.  I think that's exceptional on a sidecar outfit.  Installing a second set as we speak....

Spuddy

We need a video of how you manage to type and to pry a bead back on to the rim at the same time!   :D

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline ChuckH

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2015, 06:18:02 PM »
Chuck, I have a new set of Shinko 705 Radials on my Stelvio to start out the coming riding season.  The word from those who have run them on the Stelvios is that the rear wears a bit faster than the OEM Pirellis (5-6K miles instead of 7-8K miles), the front generally runs about the same as the OEM tires (10-12K miles).  In reading all of the comments, there were a couple of riders who said the Shinkos were a bit shaky over tar snakes in the Summer.  Other than that, the word is they hold pretty well in both dry and wet conditions.    They cost quite a bit less than the OEM or similar tires so the differential more than makes up for the reduced mileage as long as you don't mind changing tires more frequently.

Ride safe.
Essential to the pursuit of happiness is knowing when you've caught it.
Life's what happens while you're making other plans.
I always knew I'd get old.  How fast it happened was a bit of a surprise, though.

'08 Chevy Corvette (non-Stealth, Bright Red)

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2015, 06:25:53 PM »
I've been very pleased with all of the Shinkos I've used. 244s on the XT500 lasted longer than a Bridgestone that cost twice as much. Traction on and off pavement was the same, wet, dry, gravel, dirt. The 712 on the back of my "commie thumper" (MZ Silver Star) has 4k miles on it and still has half the tread left. The Conti Go! on before it was almost bald by 3k. Traction and feel is the same (both are made in Korea). I mounted 700s on the ATK's rims (haven't ridden on them yet) and 705s on the Elefant (only 3/10ths mile so far). Bought a pair of SR880/881s for the Paso (Shinko is the only tire maker selling tires in the original Paso sizes, at least in the US). Been mounting 712s and 230s on customer's small-blocks and Loops - nobody has complained yet. The 230s normally require no weight for perfect balance.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 06:27:15 PM by Antietam Classic Cycle »
Charlie

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2015, 06:28:50 PM »
It seems that from what I've read, the Podiums are pretty sticky. I'm a little bit skeptical.. I normally *don't* like fronts that have a groove around the center. Hey.. for 150 bux, I can afford to throw them away if I *really* don't like them. ;D

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2015, 09:23:15 PM »
Oh, and the Shinko's are one reason why I started spooning my own tires.  The rear goes bad in 6-8k miles (about the same as the BT45's and a bit more than the Sport Demons) so they get changed often.  In cheap Guzzi fashion I could not see paying someone else to change them out that often (3 times a year). 

The interesting part is the harder I push them the longer they last.  Kinda like, if you put miles on the tire shoulders then the center doesn't wear as much :)

One tire that only went 6k spent almost 3k of that on straight roads and interstates (at high speeds :)  ).  It was pretty squared off when it hit the wear bars.

The one before that spent a lot of time on one trip through Colorado.  It ended up going over 8k before wearing down in the middle.  I think the 2k miles in CO were mostly wearing the shoulders :)
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2015, 06:18:40 AM »
Chuck, I have a new set of Shinko 705 Radials on my Stelvio to start out the coming riding season.  The word from those who have run them on the Stelvios is that the rear wears a bit faster than the OEM Pirellis (5-6K miles instead of 7-8K miles), the front generally runs about the same as the OEM tires (10-12K miles).  In reading all of the comments, there were a couple of riders who said the Shinkos were a bit shaky over tar snakes in the Summer.  Other than that, the word is they hold pretty well in both dry and wet conditions.    They cost quite a bit less than the OEM or similar tires so the differential more than makes up for the reduced mileage as long as you don't mind changing tires more frequently.

Ride safe.

I've just finished running a series of Shinko 705's on my Stelvio and I liked them.  I went through two rear tires and a single front.  My rear tires lasted about 4500 miles each and the front tire about 9000 miles.  I was happy with the mileage.  I was also happy with the grip of the Shinko tires both on dirt and on pavement, especially wet pavement.

If you choose a tire simply by its ability to yield high mileage, you are likely to get a tire made from a "hard" compound that will sacrifice traction for the higher mileage performance.

My standard tire, the Anakee 2, is no longer made so, this time around, I am back to a set of Tourance tires.

I really like to look and specs of the new Conti TKC70 and I may try them in the future. I may also go back to a set of Shinko tires. They are certainly more bang for the buck.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here