Author Topic: Tire change question  (Read 2908 times)

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
Tire change question
« on: July 15, 2015, 05:39:14 PM »
I there a practical way to take both wheels off a Cal-series (Bassa) at the same time? I have a center stand (and jack stands and floor jack) and I want to take both tires to a friend's place where they'll be changed. It'd be easier to take both at once rather than make two trips.

Rich A

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: Tire change question
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 05:52:22 PM »
I don't get the question.... Place bike on stand (preferably on a block of wood to hold it higher), then remove one wheel, tilt and repeat. What's the problem? Just at one point one end will need to lean on the ground.

I'd think of you take the front wheel off first, then tilt it and block it in that position with a jackstand or more wood you'll have more access to remove the rear wheel.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 06:24:58 PM »
I've done it, just jack it up carefully so it's pretty balanced (use a strap so it can't fall off) loosen the axles before jacking.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 06:40:34 PM »
I don't get the question.... Place bike on stand (preferably on a block of wood to hold it higher), then remove one wheel, tilt and repeat. What's the problem? Just at one point one end will need to lean on the ground.

I was looking for some advice to ward off any snafus as I've never had both wheels off this bike at the same time. The voice of experience is often worth a listen.

My concern is with the balance point--I don't know how the thing would balance on the centerstand with both wheels off, especially with the centerstand 3-4 inches off the ground. I guess I could remove one of the wheels, slip the axle in and have that rest on a jackstand, then do the other side.

Rich A

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 06:40:34 PM »

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 06:43:43 PM »
Rich,

I only take one precaution.  I don't tip bike forward too much.  I usually put a 8-10" block under the forks after I remove the front wheel.

It also makes it easier to get the jack out from under the engine.

PS I don't lift it off the centerstand.  Just put it on centerstand and then jack under the oil sump.

PPS not very clear.  Put on centerstand.  Jack up front.  Remove front wheel.  Put block under front fork. Lower jack.  Remove rear wheel.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 06:45:32 PM by charlie b »
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2015, 06:49:12 PM »
It probably varies with particular bike, but I THINK it tends to lean away from whichever wheel is removed first due to the weight shift.

I don't remember where the balance point was with both off, but that's where a few jackstands or blocks of wood come in.

My worst experience was with an oilhead when the front wheel was off and getting the rear wheel off I disturbed the bike which fell off the centerstand into the oil pan. Dohhhh... Used ratcheting straps and some eye hooks in the ceiling beams to pull it back up.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 06:52:31 PM »
I guess I've been lucky.  Have done this on two bikes now (Honda NT and the T5) and never felt like they were off balance or had a tendency to fall over.  About the same as if it is on the centerstand with front wheel on ground.

And the Honda usually needed a lot of pushing and pulling to get the back tire out.  :)
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline bross

• New Egg
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2015, 07:29:45 PM »
One tip I used on my RT was to run a strap from a center stand leg to a fork. That way you couldn't push it off the center stand as you were manhandling the rear wheel back on.

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2015, 07:38:02 PM »
My worst experience was with an oilhead when the front wheel was off and getting the rear wheel off I disturbed the bike which fell off the centerstand into the oil pan. Dohhhh... Used ratcheting straps and some eye hooks in the ceiling beams to pull it back up.

This is the voice of experience I was referring to. I'd be in a world of hurt if this happened.

Rich A

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2015, 07:46:07 PM »
This is the voice of experience I was referring to. I'd be in a world of hurt if this happened.

Rich A

Lol, nah, ex wife was asleep upstairs, it was late, I was probably uhhh, inebriated, she didn't even hear the drill in the ceiling beams.... It was fine before she woke up.

That said... Bross is speaking some wisdom!

:embarrassed:
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2015, 07:47:21 PM »
Rich,
I only take one precaution.  I don't tip bike forward too much. 

The risk of tipping forward is that the center stand angle goes past vertical in reference to the ground and risks sudden folding.

Put it on the center stand.

Lift slightly on the front of the engine so you can remove the front wheel and roll it out.

Re-insert the front axle and clamp it lightly in the forks.

Turn the forks to lock in either direction.

Run a stout tie strap from the front axle and around the centerstand.  You could even leave the steering centered and run two straps, one to each side of the center stand.  The straps prevent the centerstand from folding, even when presented with awkward angles.

Tip the bike forward until it rests on the bottom of the forks.

The back end will now be high and clear for removal of the rear tire.  If you think it is too high, just put some wood blocks, etc. under the tips of the front forks.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2015, 08:03:03 PM »
Thank you, Patrick! 'Zactly the info I needed.

Hope you're well and have been off on one of your exciting trips!

Rich

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2015, 08:13:39 PM »
Yep, that's why I put a block under the forks after the front wheel is off.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here