Author Topic: Tire Report V7 Stone  (Read 16166 times)

Offline kirkemon

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: Tire Report V7 Stone
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2015, 12:20:07 PM »
It is strange how different riders can report such different tire behaviors.
I doubt that everyone is putting the same amount of pressure in their tires, which certainly can contribute to difference in behaviors.
Kirk

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2015, 02:44:44 PM »
The front tyre on the V7S (OE Sport Demon) still has tread, but at 17,500 k (11,000 miles) it has just started cupping, and as I've a long trip coming up, I've an Avon AM26 that I'll be putting on before I set off. I quite like the Sport Demon, but on the V7 Classic, at least, I prefer the feel of the Avons, especially on the front. The possibility of significantly better wear performance is a bonus - got 55,000k (34,000 miles) out of one front Avon on the Classic & 18,000k from a rear.. It will be interesting to see if the Racetech spring kit in the Special make any (discernible) difference.

I run my tyres at 36 psi on the front & 36 (38 loaded) on the rear.

Just re-tensioned the headbolts & set the tappets on the Special yesterday, so I'm off on an early morning run to check it out.

Mal
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2015, 06:56:44 PM »
Just re-tensioned the headbolts & set the tappets on the Special yesterday, so I'm off on an early morning run to check it out.

Mal

Why did you retorque the head bolts again?

It's only called for at the first service???
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2015, 02:24:23 AM »
Why did you retorque the head bolts again?

It's only called for at the first service???

I didn't know whether the original owner had had it done - during the period of his ownership, the Guzzi dealer in the north (of Tasmania) closed & later a new one started in Hobart. And I was hearing what sounded like tappet noise. I found the LHS exhaust was .008mm (not .015) & the inlet was .018 (not .010) The RHS tappets weren't quite so far off. I loosened the tappets off, & re-tensioned the head - it did take up quite a bit (both sides). It seems likely that it wasn't done at the first service.

The engine ran a lot quieter on this morning's run - no clacking at all.

Just changed the oils this afternoon (17,600km). The engine & gearbox I had done at 9,000 km, and were fine, but the final drive was the first time for me. It looks like the final drive oil hadn't been changed before either. The oil was black, with green hints, and the drain plug magnet was well covered with sludge-like filings. I'll keep an eye on that.

I'm happier now that that's been taken care of, tho' kicking myself for not having done it earlier. I shall have to look at the rest of the list, as now not confident that all else has been attended to.

Mal
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2015, 02:24:23 AM »

Offline fossil

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2015, 03:15:36 AM »
I really tend to believe the differences we experience are based mainly on the temperature. And on personal preferences.
Greetings from Germany!
Thorsten

Offline slowmover

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Locked in the arms of a crazy life
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2015, 10:08:59 AM »
I've got the Metzelers that came on my 2013 Stone and they were the same ones on my previous 2010 Classic.All 4 tires had hairline cracks on the side walls that always brought comments like "Dose tires are dry rotted,dude".Someone here said they're just blemishes.Yeah I know but still.Wonder if ones that Guzzi  doesn't put on are like that.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2015, 10:19:34 AM »
I didn't know whether the original owner had had it done -
<snip>

It seems likely that it wasn't done at the first service.

:thumb:
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Penderic

« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2015, 08:01:42 PM »

Did the install myself and I must be learning something because it well fairly easy this time.

Just got back from testing a new rear Michelin Pilot Activ 130/80-17" on my 09 V7 Classic and I must admit it feels a lot more connected to the road than the worn Pirelli. Faster on the tight corners and excellent straight ahead tracking. Very happy with it so far!  :azn:

The new tire tread looks a bit different...

The old Pirelli Sport Demon rear tire...

Now to find the matching front tire.  :smiley:

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here