Author Topic: Tire question  (Read 1671 times)

Offline BillinPA

• Gaggle Mentor
Tire question
« on: February 22, 2016, 06:15:23 PM »
Has anyone used the Metzeler Tourance or the Michelin Anakee on the rear of an EV. Looking for some options that will wear well besides the ME 880. I used to use the ME 88 but it has been unavailable for several years. Tried the Conti-go and it works well but doesn't last for long. Not an 880 hater use them on the front ...rears never seemed to last more than 7,000 miles.   

BigDave in PA

Re: Tire question
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 08:37:33 PM »
Has anyone used the Metzeler Tourance or the Michelin Anakee on the rear of an EV. Looking for some options that will wear well besides the ME 880. I used to use the ME 88 but it has been unavailable for several years. Tried the Conti-go and it works well but doesn't last for long. Not an 880 hater use them on the front ...rears never seemed to last more than 7,000 miles.

Wow Bill, I'm in the same boat. I'm looking for a decent replacement for the ME 88. I tried the Conti go and got about 6k out of it. I tried the Bridgestone Spitfire ST11 and got about the same. I really don't need a V rated tire for the way I ride and would be happy with a tire that I could get about 10k out of.

Offline BillinPA

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 08:47:03 PM »
Shame about the me 88 , like you Dave I don't need a v rated but want some mileage out of it. Tires unlimited has the me 88 but I am afraid it is old. I have an  email into metzeler. But may try one of the tourance or anakees if none here have info otherwise.

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 09:08:13 PM »
I've gone through several sets of Anakees on my Tiger. Good grippy tire, I get 9000 miles out of 'em.
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 09:08:13 PM »

Offline Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 09:41:46 PM »
My tire place that only sells bike tires (really only tires in the small shop that's been around for 20+ years) told me to try the Michelin Commander II in the 160/70-17 on my 2004 Cali EVT. Heavy bikes get great mileage with this tire he said. Not cheap, only about 200mi on it so far, only rain was a poking along 40 mph, so I don't know how well it does in the rain. But it is smooth if you want a freeway tire. Have no idea how well it does in the twisties either.

For my older bikes I used the 88 on the rear and a 880 on the front. Since the 88 was supposedly being phased out, I went with the Bridgestone S11. Quite happy with it for MY driving style. I would have put it on the EV if they had my size.

I will see how my mileage goes on the Commander. May go back to something from Metzler?

Hope this helps,
Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2016, 04:46:50 AM »
Michelin Activs have a decent reputation for longevity and are sized to fit Californias. I have not had mine on the Vintage long enough to give a comprehensive recommendation, but they feel great and balanced well...
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

SDC

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2016, 04:53:26 AM »
I've been running the Michelin Pilot Activ on mine and have been pretty happy with it. Not sure how much life I'll get out of  it though - it's done about 6000km and looks like it should make at least 10k. My 98 has very little clearance on the shaft side and this tyre fits without the need for a spacer unlike, for example, the Pirelli Pemon which also wears quickly.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here