Author Topic: Tire pressure for California Touring  (Read 6220 times)

Offline SEG

• New Egg
Tire pressure for California Touring
« on: April 25, 2016, 07:45:03 PM »
I just picked up my '15 California Touring last week.  The Guzzi owner's manual recommends 36 psi (36.3) for front and rear tires.  What have others found to be the ideal tire pressure?  With my past bike, a BMW K1200 LT, the owners manual recommended tire pressure that was way too low for optimal handling.  So I thought I'd check with other California Touring owners. 
Scott
Denver
2015 Moto Guzzi 1400 California Touring
MGNOC Member 18315

elvisboy77

Re: Tire pressure for California Touring
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 08:15:32 PM »
I would not question the factory recommendation.  No idea why one would for normal use of the vehicle.  I guess this may cause a "tire pressure" thread...but really.

Lcarlson

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 08:23:41 PM »
Hmmm -- the manual for my Cali recommends ~37/40 front/rear. That's the way I'd go.

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 10:41:28 PM »
Tire pressure is one of the most important decisions we have to make in a lifetime.
 I'm working on a formula that includes the owners altitude, speed he'll ride, weight of the bike, road composition, barometric pressure, humidity, night or day riding, ex mother-in-laws maiden name. You will enter all this data and the correct tire pressure will pop up on the screen.

Just the other night I was going to give a lounge lizard a ride on my Guzzi. I explained my formula and how critical this was. Then I pulled a scale from the saddle bag for her to weigh herself. Just then a Harley came along and she hopped on it. As a turnip farmer I'm use to failure.

Tex

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 10:41:28 PM »

Offline Kiwi Dave

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi Gander Ltd
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 11:26:28 PM »
I run 38F/42R on my Cali 1400 Custom, there's no issue with adhesion and the bike appears more flickable compared with the recommended pressures.  But I don't run the Dunlops either.

My $0.02¢.

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 12:52:30 AM »

Just the other night I was going to give a lounge lizard a ride on my Guzzi. I explained my formula and how critical this was. Then I pulled a scale from the saddle bag for her to weigh herself. Just then a Harley came along and she hopped on it. As a turnip farmer I'm use to failure.

Tex

Well, console yourself in the fact that you are producing a useful crop. The turnip, like its cousin the parsnip, is among the most essential crops, as it is food for food.

It is an excellent source of bacon (when applied to the appropriate feed trough!).  :evil:
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline organfixsing

• Hatchling
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2016, 02:19:18 AM »
 Many years ago, I had a Renault 10, rear engine car. I was going on a trip with a fair amount of luggage and wanted to know what tyre pressure for the front tyres. Theb front tyres were normally almost unloaded and so had very little pressure.

I can't remember who I rang for advice, but, the advice I was given was to inflate the front tyres so that they would run at the same temperature as the back tyres.

The back tyres were pressured as recommended by the factory.

To me this made a lot of sense as the load on the rear tyres was close to static, but the front tyres, quite variable load.

On a bike, I would imagine that the front tyre would be the reference pressure as there is little static load variation there, and so, the back tyre should be pressured so that it runs at the same temperature as the front one  for a given loading.

My tuppence.

Cheers

Brian  :grin:
If you remove the wings of a fly, does that make it a walk?

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2016, 06:07:58 AM »
I just picked up my '15 California Touring last week.  The Guzzi owner's manual recommends 36 psi (36.3) for front and rear tires.  What have others found to be the ideal tire pressure?  With my past bike, a BMW K1200 LT, the owners manual recommended tire pressure that was way too low for optimal handling.  So I thought I'd check with other California Touring owners. 
Scott
Denver

Same recommended pressure for the V7...
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here