Author Topic: Tires  (Read 2646 times)

Ricko

Tires
« on: April 30, 2016, 10:13:21 AM »
I need to order a new rear tire for my Goose ( Cal/Vin). I am replacing a Michelin Pilot Activ that I have been pretty happy with, is there another choice I should consider?

redrider

Re: Tires
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 12:39:25 PM »
I have been very pleased with Avon Storm XM. It is a Sport/Touring tire that lasts over 8000 miles on the Benelli Beast. The Café Sport loves them. The Michelin induced a wobble above 70 mph.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 02:15:00 PM »
Metzler 880 work well my EV.  I am not familiar to the changes on the Calvin.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline jackson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 02:25:45 PM »
My experiences with tires is what works well on one brand/model won't necessarily provide the same ride & longevity on another brand/model.
It sounds like the Pilot Activ has worked well on your bike, so if I were you, I'd stay with the known and not dabble with trying something new.............and replace it with the same brand, size, etc.
Just my two cents.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 02:26:56 PM by jackson »
NO longer can ride

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 02:25:45 PM »

Online Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 02:50:57 PM »
I've used the BT45s, ME880s, and now the Pilot Activs on my EV.

BT45- works great at first but for some reason I had two rear tires get "snake bit" around 5k even though there was plenty of tread.  Also the worst of the three in the rain.

ME880- Love the rear tire but didn't like the front.  Problem is if you put one on up front it's going to be there for a while!  I had 16k on the last one and changed it not because of tread but because I didn't like the road noise it made.  I think Muley got over 20k on one.  Rear goes 8k-10k depending on loads.

Pilot Activ- I've got 6k on them and they look like the will go about 8k.  Pretty neutral in terms of a tire; they do everything they are supposed to and don't do anything they are not supposed to do. 

My feeling is that when it is time I'll go back to the Pilot Activ again.  Last time I looked they were a good bit cheaper than the ME.  Also, you can get the 110/80 size in the Michelin.  I've run the 110/80 BT45 and liked how it made the bike at least feel lighter.
George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2016, 04:05:30 PM »
I'd stay with the Michelin
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2016, 05:21:42 PM »
Michelin Activs and Metzler 880s worked best on my Vintage. Good mileage, braking, and handling...good neutral steering, too. The Michelins are the more affordable of the two...
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

janusz

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2016, 05:39:12 PM »
What about the new bikes? Should one keep replacing the original tires with the same brand or experimenting is recommended? My bike (Audace) has Metzeler Lasertec tires front/back, how they are rated, anything better to conciser?

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2016, 06:15:04 PM »
What about the new bikes? Should one keep replacing the original tires with the same brand or experimenting is recommended? My bike (Audace) has Metzeler Lasertec tires front/back, how they are rated, anything better to conciser?

I think you'll find not many of us have much experience with the rear size that comes on the Audace, and other wide-tire Cal 14s.

I've looked around out of curiosity, and options seem a little limited.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Ricko

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2016, 08:49:27 PM »
Thanks to all, sounds like good advice.

Lcarlson

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2016, 09:02:39 PM »
 My Cali 1400 Custom burned through the OEM Dunlops in 6000 miles -- they're done  I'm going with the Metzeler 880s next. These are widely known as high mileage rubber for heavy motorcycles. I hope so.

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2016, 09:46:21 PM »
Son has just put a Metzeler Marathon 888 on the rear of his Harley Sporty. Just running it in now but already is very happy with the way it feels. Far better than the Pirelli Routes that were on it.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2016, 01:50:07 AM »
I'd stay with the Activ until you replace front and rear together - then decide whether a switch is warranted. The Activ has not seen a lot of changes in recent years, so (if you want sportier), I might think about the Pilot Road 4 in one form or another.
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2016, 01:51:29 AM »

Personally I have never been impressed with the Lasertec series. I'd say wear 'em out and look for a better tire.
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline RayB

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2016, 08:15:00 AM »
I recently put Shink 230s on my EV. Scrapped the ME880s. The Shinkos are good enough for who they're for.
01 EV
82 BMW R100

Offline wavedog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2016, 12:45:14 PM »
Michelin Pilot Activ are the tire of choice for me on my 01 jackal. They have everything that I want - good price, excellent grip, long life (for the roads in my area and my riding style) good feedback yada yada. I don't feel the need to try any other tire. I do keep the front pressure up to 38 so it doesn't cup. Had a lazertec on the front when I first got the bike and it was less than confidence insipiring.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here